Author Topic: Bill Clinton asks for a second chance  (Read 2465 times)

Offline Lauri

Bill Clinton asks for a second chance
« on: February 12, 2008, 04:11:39 PM »
WillyT     Mon Feb-11-08 05:54 PM
Original message
Bill Clinton Asks for a Second Chance

Advertisements [?]
<snip>

The morning after his wife, Hillary, was routed in three state contests by Sen. Barack Obama in their dead-heat battle for the Democratic nomination, former President Bill Clinton made his case for her before a packed Sunday service at one of the largest black churches in Washington, D.C.

But first he offered an apology of sorts for racially tinged comments he made about Obama and his candidacy that have triggered a backlash in the black community and among many other Democrats.

Clinton invoked his "worship of a God of second chances" in pronouncing himself glad to be at the House of Praise, which claims nearly 15,000 members. His invocation of second chances echoed comments he made early last week at black churches in California, where he campaigned for his wife before that state's Super Tuesday primary, which she won.

Clinton had been criticized for asserting that Obama's characterization of his position on the Iraq war is a "fairy tale" and for comparing Obama's resounding victory in South Carolina to failed presidential candidate Jesse Jackson's wins there in the '80s. He has softened his tone on the trail considerably since, and a few days ago, he told an NBC reporter in Maine that he has learned he can promote his wife but that she has to defend herself.

His mini-mea culpa on Sunday, which came two days before voters in the District of Columbia, Virginia, and Maryland will go to the polls and just hours before his wife's campaign manager stepped down, was politely received. He did get a warm initial standing ovation after church leader Bishop Glen Staples, a longtime Baptist minister, introduced Clinton as "one of the greatest—if not the greatest—presidents."

Staples didn't mention candidate Hillary, but ticked off a list of Clinton administration accomplishments that he said helped the black community, including job creation that contributed to lowering African-American unemployment more than 6 percent.

<snip>

Link: http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/campaign-2008/2008/...

:shrug:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x4540632

Offline Lauri

Re: Bill Clinton asks for a second chance
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 04:13:28 PM »
Lerkfish 
1. I'll say it: bi-zarre.

especially considering how everyone kept claiming the remarks were NOT racially tinged.

I'm glad, sort of, that he's apologizing, but I also realize if the racial remarks had WORKED we'd be having no apologies.

looks like some of the DUmp isnt buying Clinton's apology..  :popcorn:

Offline Lauri

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 04:17:29 PM »
my3boyz 
20. Bill Clinton can

kiss my butt! I'm an African American woman that has defended Bill Clinton til the end. I was FURIOUS at the Republicans for always trying to find something on him. I was furious when they impeached him for something that happened in his personal life (should have remained between him and Hillary..if she wants to accept that behaviour than so be it). I overlooked his lie about Lewinsky (even thought I knew he was lying while wagging that finger) because I still thought it was a personal matter. HOWEVER, it ticked me off when he ABSOLUTELY LIED about Barack and then ends with (I'm not lying..I'm telling the truth!) when he absolutely knew he was lying. I don't know why he could not have continued on as he did pre-Iowa. I had absolutely NO PROBLEM with him comparing Barack and his wife. I had no problem with him saying that she would be a better president. THAT IS HIS WIFE...HE BETTER FIGHT FOR HER!! Especially, for the way she has stuck by him. However, he stepped WAY OVER THE LINE when he started lying about Barack and putting out racial codes.

so, its ok if Bill lies about other white people, but woe to anyone who lies about blacks?

and what the hell is a 'racial code'...?  :whatever:

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 04:20:47 PM »
Oh my.

my3boyz  (252 posts)      Mon Feb-11-08 06:40 PM
Response to Original message

20. Bill Clinton can kiss my butt! I'm an African American woman that has defended Bill Clinton til the end. I was FURIOUS at the Republicans for always trying to find something on him. I was furious when they impeached him for something that happened in his personal life (should have remained between him and Hillary..if she wants to accept that behaviour than so be it). I overlooked his lie about Lewinsky (even thought I knew he was lying while wagging that finger) because I still thought it was a personal matter.

HOWEVER, it ticked me off when he ABSOLUTELY LIED about Barack and then ends with (I'm not lying..I'm telling the truth!) when he absolutely knew he was lying. I don't know why he could not have continued on as he did pre-Iowa. I had absolutely NO PROBLEM with him comparing Barack and his wife. I had no problem with him saying that she would be a better president. THAT IS HIS WIFE...HE BETTER FIGHT FOR HER!! Especially, for the way she has stuck by him. However, he stepped WAY OVER THE LINE when he started lying about Barack and putting out racial codes.

I'm curious.

What was the Impeached One impeached for?

Wasn't it for performing a public act, in front of a grand jury?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 04:31:07 PM by franksolich »
apres moi, le deluge

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 04:21:25 PM »

so, its ok if Bill lies about other white people, but woe to anyone who lies about blacks?

and what the hell is a 'racial code'...?  :whatever:

Answer to racial code: See your former statement  :rotf:
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 04:26:04 PM »
What they also love to ignore is the fact that Lewinsky was his INTERN, that he fully took advantage of.

The party that cultivated the feminazis now want to ignore the fact that BillyBob Clinton  went way over the line of sexual harrassment in the workplace.

They don't care that he perjured himself.

They don't care that he screwed his wife over.

They don't care that he screwed America over, as their leader, by defacing the Oval Office.

They don't care that BillyBob Clinton is the mother of all liars.

They don't have ANY standards of being decent, unless it affects them in some personal way.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 04:30:37 PM »
Oh my.

I'm curious.

Yes, that is reality, but not the meme, so you are suppose to ignore reality.

I got into a "fight" recently about Bill Clinton and real actual perjury in our judicial system.  I learned from the experience that sex is the only subject to which perjury does not apply.   You can't lie about bananas in a court of law, but it is fine to lie about sex.      

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 04:45:03 PM »
I find it ironic that Gloria Steinem (sp?) and her ilk rushed to his defense and Ms. Lewinsky was painted as the villian.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 04:48:12 PM »
I find it ironic that Gloria Steinem (sp?) and her ilk rushed to his defense and Ms. Lewinsky was painted as the villain.

The inconsistency of liberals can only be ironic if it is not common.  Meanwhile, it is merely dishonest and hypocritical.

Offline Happy Fun Ball

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 05:54:49 PM »
Bill wants another chance? Let's see how I can put this...um...

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 05:56:20 PM »
Oh my.

I'm curious.

Yes, that is reality, but not the meme, so you are suppose to ignore reality.

I got into a "fight" recently about Bill Clinton and real actual perjury in our judicial system.  I learned from the experience that sex is the only subject to which perjury does not apply.   You can't lie about bananas in a court of law, but it is fine to lie about sex.      

It is fine for a DUmmie POTUS to lie, under any circumstance.

But wait, we've seen time and time again how the DUmmies themselves lie, so to expect that they'd hold one of their own, their leader, to a higher standard is us expecting too much from them.

Barack Obama

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 06:32:12 PM »
His mini-mea culpa on Sunday, which came two days before voters in the District of Columbia, Virginia, and Maryland will go to the polls and just hours before his wife's campaign manager stepped down, was politely received. He did get a warm initial standing ovation after church leader Bishop Glen Staples, a longtime Baptist minister, introduced Clinton as "one of the greatest—if not the greatest—presidents."

Such self-evident stupidity is why it's an especially good idea that this church in particular should be separate from running any state.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 06:53:24 PM »
. He did get a warm initial standing ovation after church leader Bishop Glen Staples, a longtime Baptist minister, introduced Clinton as "one of the greatest—if not the greatest—presidents."

Staples ticked off a list of Clinton administration accomplishments that he said helped the black community, including job creation that contributed to lowering African-American unemployment more than 6 percent.

No, you dumb ass. The reduction in the unemployment rate was due to the passage of the Welfare Reform Act under Newt's leadership in the House of Rep. Many Democrats hated this bill; Bubba signed it while kicking and screaming. I guess this black minister is too stupid or too partisian to realize it was the Repubs. that orchestrated the surge in black employment.

Offline Scoobie

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 06:57:08 PM »

I think I just had a seizure watching that. 
When we are motivated by goals that have deep meaning, by dreams that need completion, by pure love that needs expressing -- then we truly live life.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 05:45:14 AM »

Ah . . . I like the subtle approach . . .  :evillaugh:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.