Author Topic: The White Privilege Checklist  (Read 3877 times)

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
The White Privilege Checklist
« on: February 11, 2008, 06:28:47 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2844897

Ichingcarpenter (690 posts)        Sun Feb-10-08 08:05 PM
Original message
The White Privilege Checklist
   Advertisements [?]

Daily effects of white privilege

I decided to try to work on myself at least by identifying some of the daily effects of white privilege in my life. I have chosen those conditions that I think in my case attach somewhat more to skin-color privilege than to class, religion, ethnic status, or geographic location, though of course all these other factors are intricately intertwined. As far as I can tell, my African American coworkers, friends, and acquaintances with whom I come into daily or frequent contact in this particular time, place and time of work cannot count on most of these conditions.

1. I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.

2. I can avoid spending time with people whom I was trained to mistrust and who have learned to mistrust my kind or me.

3. If I should need to move, I can be pretty sure of renting or purchasing housing in an area which I can afford and in which I would want to live.

4. I can be pretty sure that my neighbors in such a location will be neutral or pleasant to me.

5. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.

6. I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.

7. When I am told about our national heritage or about "civilization," I am shown that people of my color made it what it is.

8. I can be sure that my children will be given curricular materials that testify to the existence of their race.

9. If I want to, I can be pretty sure of finding a publisher for this piece on white privilege.

10. I can be pretty sure of having my voice heard in a group in which I am the only member of my race.

11. I can be casual about whether or not to listen to another person's voice in a group in which s/he is the only member of his/her race.

12. I can go into a music shop and count on finding the music of my race represented, into a supermarket and find the staple foods which fit with my cultural traditions, into a hairdresser's shop and find someone who can cut my hair.

13. Whether I use checks, credit cards or cash, I can count on my skin color not to work against the appearance of financial reliability.

14. I can arrange to protect my children most of the time from people who might not like them.

15. I do not have to educate my children to be aware of systemic racism for their own daily physical protection.

16. I can be pretty sure that my children's teachers and employers will tolerate them if they fit school and workplace norms; my chief worries about them do not concern others' attitudes toward their race.

17. I can talk with my mouth full and not have people put this down to my color.

18. I can swear, or dress in second hand clothes, or not answer letters, without having people attribute these choices to the bad morals, the poverty or the illiteracy of my race.

19. I can speak in public to a powerful male group without putting my race on trial.

20. I can do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit to my race......

There are a total of 50.

Now I won`t pretend that racism or racist things don`t exist but DUmmies seem to be the one fixated on defining things on racial terms always.

provis99  (1000+ posts)       Sun Feb-10-08 08:57 PM
Response to Original message
1. 51. you can indulge in white liberal guilt
   without really doing anything to change things.

That was the wrong answer. :rotf:

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Re: The White Privilege Checklist
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 06:34:16 PM »

provis99  (1000+ posts)       Sun Feb-10-08 08:57 PM
Response to Original message
1. 51. you can indulge in white liberal guilt
   without really doing anything to change things.

That was the wrong answer. :rotf:

That was a fantastic answer.   :-)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 06:37:08 PM »
What the **** is this idiot babbling about?

Brain-damanged nitwit.  :whatever:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 06:39:44 PM »

He also posted this.The Male Privilege Checklist  ::)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 06:40:58 PM »
Got self-loathing?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 06:42:01 PM »

He also posted this.The Male Privilege Checklist  ::)

Damn.  Dude just needs to turn in his testicles and show up at work in a dress.

Idiots.  :mental:

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 06:45:09 PM »

They're laying the groundwork for the biggest use of the race card yet in the Liberal Democrat Party.

"If you don't vote for Obama you're a racist bigot!"

White Guilt played to the hilt.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 07:12:32 PM »
Hey, he left out the hot redheaded babes!

:naughty:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 07:13:50 PM »
Hey, he left out the hot redheaded babes!

:naughty:

Shhhh we lovers of redheads like to keep their hawtness a secret  :-)
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline jukin

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 08:36:59 PM »
When I was in Africa, Mexico, or South America I didn't have any of that. 
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 08:42:55 PM »
1. I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.

Here on the west coast I can too and I don't have to be white...just an "undocumented worker".

2. I can avoid spending time with people whom I was trained to mistrust and who have learned to mistrust my kind or me.

Wish I could say the same...I'm surrounded by moonbats.

3. If I should need to move, I can be pretty sure of renting or purchasing housing in an area which I can afford and in which I would want to live.

4. I can be pretty sure that my neighbors in such a location will be neutral or pleasant to me.

I don't have a clue what this has to do with race as I've lived in neighborhoods with people of different races and never thought anything about it. In your case, however, it would only last until you opened your mouth and started in with the latest drooling moonbat rant.

5. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.

Well then I guess we know you aren't Brad Pitt.

6. I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.

And this means what? Since television and to a lesser extent newspapers cater to the widest audience, wouldn't those ratios reflect the population at large?

7. When I am told about our national heritage or about "civilization," I am shown that people of my color made it what it is.

Sooo...we've been lied to about the race of the founding fathers? The Mayflower and other early settlers (which is when my own lily white ancestors came)? Were there a preponderance of black pioneers in the Donner Party who died first so we never heard about them?

8. I can be sure that my children will be given curricular materials that testify to the existence of their race.

Oh I don't think you have to worry about public schools not being PC. Before I took my son out to homeschool he'd already made a Pueblo village out of Jello boxes and sugar cubes, celebrated the life of Martin Luther King, and had a celebration for Cinco de Mayo. Granted, because of where we live he did know about the Oregon Trail and Lewis & Clark (especially those Native Americans who helped them along the way). He did NOT, however, know about the Boston Tea Party, Jamestown, or Patrick Henry, Benjamin Franklin, or John Adams. Thomas Jefferson & George Washington were grudgingly acknowledged since white, middle class NEA members got the day off for a Federal holiday.

9. If I want to, I can be pretty sure of finding a publisher for this piece on white privilege.

Any liberal publication would print this. They're as full of white guilt and bullsh*t as you are.

10. I can be pretty sure of having my voice heard in a group in which I am the only member of my race.

11. I can be casual about whether or not to listen to another person's voice in a group in which s/he is the only member of his/her race.

Okay, I have to admit...this one has thrown me. Does this mean you do stupid things like travel to places like Compton, CA or Harlem and scream about how sorry you are you're white? And let me guess...they all come up, pat you on the back and say "thank you, brother!"  But, if someone from another race comes into your neighborhood you'll ignore him?

12. I can go into a music shop and count on finding the music of my race represented, into a supermarket and find the staple foods which fit with my cultural traditions, into a hairdresser's shop and find someone who can cut my hair.

Does this idiot live someplace that doesn't have a Jazz/Blues section? Even us hicks that shop at Walmart can generally find something by Miles Davis and I've yet to go into any grocery store that doesn't have tortillas, refried beans, okra, collards, pork rinds, or whatever else it is you think isn't represented.

13. Whether I use checks, credit cards or cash, I can count on my skin color not to work against the appearance of financial reliability.

Yeah, those damned racist card scanning machines! I've seen it a million times! Some poor Mexican or African American scans their credit card or check and lights start flashing, security comes running, someone calls 911...oh wait.

14. I can arrange to protect my children most of the time from people who might not like them.

Me too! I wanted to protect them from white, liberal guilt so I homeschooled.

15. I do not have to educate my children to be aware of systemic racism for their own daily physical protection.

I hear ya! My kids didn't grow up Sunni in a Shia neighborhood, or Jewish anywhere in France. Of course, one of my sons did play soccer on a Mexican team in a Mexican league. He was the only white guy but most of the violence came from the defenders on the other teams...does that count?

16. I can be pretty sure that my children's teachers and employers will tolerate them if they fit school and workplace norms; my chief worries about them do not concern others' attitudes toward their race.

Yeah, boy, you have to worry about that...the NEA being so concerned with racial quotas and all that. If you're an ethnic minority you can certainly count on having extra attention drawn to you.

17. I can talk with my mouth full and not have people put this down to my color.

Is there some ethnic thing about talking with your mouth full that I don't know about because this one has me confused.

18. I can swear, or dress in second hand clothes, or not answer letters, without having people attribute these choices to the bad morals, the poverty or the illiteracy of my race.

No they'll just think you're a rude slob.

19. I can speak in public to a powerful male group without putting my race on trial.

The NFL invited you to speak at one of their meetings? How'd you rate? Bet I could show up at the same meeting in a little black dress and they wouldn't question my race either.

20. I can do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit to my race......

Yeah, no white liberal can accuse YOU of being clean and articulate!

Cindie

Offline RedTail

• I can has title? ^_^
  • A little bit of Anti-Hero goes a LONG way.
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 08:45:04 PM »
Got self-loathing?

You think?

White people, knock it the fvck off!!

*TKay*

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 08:48:25 PM »
More like leftist guilt checklist. They need to get a grip.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 08:48:43 PM »
Oh, Cindie, you are a treasure!   :-*

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 08:53:54 PM »
Oh, Cindie, you are a treasure!   :-*

That's what I keep telling my husband every time we walk by Zales!

Cindie

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 08:55:38 PM »
Oh, Cindie, you are a treasure!   :-*

I 2nd that.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 08:59:31 PM »

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 09:03:20 PM »

They're laying the groundwork for the biggest use of the race card yet in the Liberal Democrat Party.

"If you don't vote for Obama you're a racist bigot!"

White Guilt played to the hilt.

Oh, that's coming down the fast track for sure, but then what about all those DUmmies who voted for the Hildabeast, with a vengeance, no less....
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 09:05:59 PM »
Got self-loathing?

You think?

*TKay*

You wouldn't be quite so complacent if you knew we white people get a white dividend check every quarter.    :tongue:

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2008, 09:07:51 PM »
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2008, 10:10:15 PM »
 :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: x50

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 01:03:22 AM »
Got self-loathing?

Pretty much. I'm sure a large portion of these DUmmies come from privileged backgrounds, but either stay in self-loathing mode towards the rich, whites, etc.... either to look "cool and nonconformist's", or they're truly ****in' crazy. I think it's a little from column A and a little from column B there.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline RedTail

• I can has title? ^_^
  • A little bit of Anti-Hero goes a LONG way.
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 01:38:17 AM »
Got self-loathing?

You think?

*TKay*

You wouldn't be quite so complacent if you knew we white people get a white dividend check every quarter.    :tongue:

I get some of that one way or anther.

*TKay*

Offline redwhit

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2008, 04:22:31 AM »

Sooo...we've been lied to about the race of the founding fathers? The Mayflower and other early settlers (which is when my own lily white ancestors came)? Were there a preponderance of black pioneers in the Donner Party who died first so we never heard about them?

Appetizers