Author Topic: CountDown to Tombstone. 3....2....1......AND  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
CountDown to Tombstone. 3....2....1......AND
« on: February 11, 2008, 02:59:38 PM »
Neo-wobbly (28 posts)      Mon Feb-11-08 03:50 PM
Original message
What difference?
 Advertisements [?]Now that we are (effectively) down to two nominees for the Democratic Nomination for President, I would like to ask a few questions to help clarify why we are voting for one over the other. Issues such as race, gender, and religion I am leaving aside because, although they probably will influence the results of the election one way or another, they shouldn't, and it would accommodate a flawed system to speculate on them. So I give you my questions, and then my impressions:

Exactly what qualifications are our two top presidential nominees bringing to the table?

Hillary Rodham Clinton has been a corporate lawyer, First Lady of the United States, and U.S. Senator from New York, (2 terms). Barack Obama has been a civil rights lawyer, Illinois State Senator (3 terms), and U.S. Senator from Illinois (1 term). Neither of them has any real foreign policy or military experience, and their legislative experience is minimal.

What issues do our nominees disagree on?

This is tricky, because although they seem to disagree more with each other than with the opposition, their platforms are very nearly identical: lip service to Universal Health care, without actually doing anything about it; withdrawal from Iraq, maybe, sort of, if and when it's convenient; politically expedient, rather than effective, environmental reforms. The biggest difference seems to be over education, where Obama promises to provide "funding" as well as "accountability", while Clinton has a list of goals; neither of them seem to have a plan to actually do anything, though.

What issues do our nominees agree on?

This is easier, if less encouraging; both Obama and Clinton are supported by large corporate donations, guaranteeing that said corporations will receive favorable treatment. Clinton is somewhat ahead in this "race", mainly due to heavy support from the pharmaceutical and insurance industries. This also probably rules out any form of campaign finance or lobbying reform from their administrations, actually ceding the "liberal" viewpoint to John McCain! Unbelievable.

What do we risk if we pick the wrong candidate?

Not much, as it turns out. As a candidate, either of them should be able to handily dispatch the opposition. As president, neither of them has much to offer, other than being a minority and not being, technically, anyway, a Republican; neither of them will be able to help win congressional seats due to their divisive rhetoric, nor can they count on bipartisanship to accomplish their goals. The "best" result is that one of them becomes president, and we get gridlock. The "worst" result is that a Republican wins the White House, and we can try to get a useful candidate in 2012.

What should we do?

Well, I'm not going to tell anyone to march in lockstep; that's the Republican game. But I'm also not going to go along this "with us or against us" crap that the Democratic leadership would have us swallow. So I say: vote your conscience. If you feel that one of the candidates adequately supports your views, then vote for them! Just allow me to say two words: a vote for someone who does not share your views, just because they are a "Democrat", is a recipe for disaster; a vote for a third party, any third party, might break up the system that perpetuates elections with no choices, like this.

If we do not insist on a real choice for president, then we will never get it.

Donate to DU and give valentine hearts to your friends! Click here. 
Refresh | 0 Recommendations Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x4538914

No replies yet, but I'm waiting.....
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
Re: CountDown to Tombstone. 3....2....1......AND
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 03:20:19 PM »
gateley  (1000+ posts)      Mon Feb-11-08 04:09 PM
Response to Original message
1. Being uncommitted, this is essentially how I view the candidates - and most
 politicians, I'm sorry to say. It's systemic - Dem or Rep.

But I disagree with you about voting for a third party. As good as it might feel, I don't think that a third party vote would go far in breaking up the current system.

If a Rep gets the nod, then so many people who were energized for the first time in their lives by this campaign may just say **** it and drop their interest in politics.

WIth either Clinton or Obama in office, we still will feel a sense of movement forward and hopefully keep working to elect more representatives who more closely share our views.

There is now way I could not vote "D" in the GE, but I certainily honor your right to.

Thanks for a great post.

Donate to DU and give valentine hearts to your friends! Click here. 
 Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

Huh?  What's going on over there?
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 06:01:39 PM »
Oh my.

Only a few responses so far, but interesting.

The primitives aren't cannibalizing each other yet.

By the way, I noticed my fellow alum Skins is conducting his annual "buy a valentine" fund-raiser now.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 07:20:35 PM »
Well, I'm not going to tell anyone to march in lockstep; that's the Republican game.

And if you don't believe that telling folks to march in lockstep is the Republican game just ask that prolific poster on DU: Name Removed.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.