Author Topic: Crochet  (Read 13238 times)

Offline Miss Mia

Crochet
« on: May 28, 2008, 04:03:40 PM »
I do some crochet, hats and scarves mostly.  I don't do anything too fancy on the scarves just a double stitch and the hat is a cute pattern I found for a "skull cap" type of hat.

I haven't been to adventurous.  I tried starting a blanket once but I started out making it waaay too long so it would have taken me forever to finish so I just gave up.  That's pretty much why I stick with scarves.  LOL

Anyone else here crochet?
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Crochet
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 04:10:45 PM »
Is it anything like knitting?  Or needlepoint?  My wife does needlepoint.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 04:37:10 PM »
I do some crochet, hats and scarves mostly.  I don't do anything too fancy on the scarves just a double stitch and the hat is a cute pattern I found for a "skull cap" type of hat.

I haven't been to adventurous.  I tried starting a blanket once but I started out making it waaay too long so it would have taken me forever to finish so I just gave up.  That's pretty much why I stick with scarves.  LOL

Is that where one uses those miniature poles with a hook at the end, or a sort of a hook?

My mother used to do that.

And so did Edward VIII of England.

Alas, I have no samples of her handiwork.

I do however have some sort of "baby blanket" that was made for me before I was born, by an ancient Lithuanian woman, a refugee, that took her months and months to make.  Some sort of really intricate needlework.  It's mostly yellow.  I have no idea what this sort of thing is called, but it's not quilting, it's not crocheting, it's not sewing.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline jendf

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 04:38:46 PM »
A couple of months ago, I took a beginner's crochet class at JoAnn's Craft Stores. It was two nights for a total of four hours. The class was small so there was lots of personal attention. That was good because I needed it!

I made a nice scarf, almond colored with a maroon edging. I won't wear it much since I live in Phoenix. LOL. But at least it turned out nice.

I haven't picked up a crochet hook since. If I don't have someone standing over me, guiding me, I think I'm forever lost.

I should try and do something small again just to keep the skill fresh in my mind.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 04:42:21 PM »

Is that where one uses those miniature poles with a hook at the end, or a sort of a hook?

My mother used to do that.

And so did Edward VIII of England.

Alas, I have no samples of her handiwork.

I do however have some sort of "baby blanket" that was made for me before I was born, by an ancient Lithuanian woman, a refugee, that took her months and months to make.  Some sort of really intricate needlework.  It's mostly yellow.  I have no idea what this sort of thing is called, but it's not quilting, it's not crocheting, it's not sewing.
I wonder if that is tatting?

I crochet some.  I've done quite a few baby blankets and Christmas stockings.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 04:43:18 PM »
Crochet is something I would quite like to be able to do, I can't bear knitting but I'd love to be able to  make things like scarves etc.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 04:44:31 PM »

I'm not sure; it's just really fine needlework; one needs a magnifying glass to see the stitches, or whatever they are.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Flame

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 04:47:36 PM »
I can do simple things, like pot holders and such, and scarves.   I also make hair scrunchies...got so popular with my daughter's friends I was taking requests for colors and all!

I'm not very good at stuff that requires counting too many stiches....I get lost too easy!!

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 04:49:23 PM »

I'm not sure; it's just really fine needlework; one needs a magnifying glass to see the stitches, or whatever they are.

Is it embroidered?

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 04:51:10 PM »

Is it embroidered?

No.

I'm Googling "Lithuanian baby blankets" right now, to find an example.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to me, it seems "embroidery" is where one sews designs onto cloth.

This is hand-made cloth, from stitches.

Or something like that.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 04:54:45 PM »
Cross stitch.

and bitchslap for frank for having to make me type this.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 04:55:33 PM »
Cross stitch.

You cross stitch?   :lmao:

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 04:57:45 PM »
Well, Googling "Lithuanian baby blanket" doesn't cut it.

Maybe Brown Eyes knows of a web-site that describes stitchery and somesuch?

What we're looking for is a certain sort of peasant handicraft popularly taught girls in the Baltic regions prior to 1940.

I hope that narrows it down.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 04:58:34 PM »
I can do simple things, like pot holders and such, and scarves.   I also make hair scrunchies...got so popular with my daughter's friends I was taking requests for colors and all!

I'm not very good at stuff that requires counting too many stiches....I get lost too easy!!
A lot of crochet patterns can be made with little counting.  The easiest is Granny Squares.  Other than getting 3 stitches in each set, you don't really count anything.  

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 05:03:10 PM »

What we're looking for is a certain sort of peasant handicraft popularly taught girls in the Baltic regions prior to 1940.

I can't find blankets...just bonnets

{image was the infamous red square.   :thatsright: }

http://www15.brinkster.com/lyricalarmy/tat-tradition/tat-trad-more.html

Of course, crochet done with thread and a tiny hook is almost this fine, so your blanket could be crochet.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 05:06:27 PM »
My mother and some neighbors had to make a bunch of yarn "book worm book markers" for some type of PTA deal or school function........I had to help Crochet....I could only do the long single row....but did several of them.....someone else would finish them but I was quite the time saver for them....

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 05:06:57 PM »

I can't find blankets...just bonnets

{image was the infamous red square.   :thatsright: }

http://www15.brinkster.com/lyricalarmy/tat-tradition/tat-trad-more.html

Of course, crochet done with thread and a tiny hook is almost this fine, so your blanket could be crochet.

Nope, it's finer than that, much finer.

I'm sure Brown Eyes or Miss Mia or you or bijou would recognize it immediately, although the College of Home Economics at the University of Nebraska said it's a skill long extinct, and dated the blanket from the 1870s, but no, really, it was made for me before I was born, and I was born long long long after the 1870s.  An old woman spent something like 6 months making it; as she was a refugee from Lithuania circa 1940, I assume she had learned it as a child.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 05:13:26 PM »
Cross stitch.

:bird:
just because I have anger issues and my ****ing theropist is a ****ing nazi I ****ing cross stitch.

The army says I suffer from being blown up too many ****ing times.

grumble grumble grumble.

didn't bitchslap BEG, but did slap her on the ass.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 05:22:58 PM »
Cross stitch.

just because I have anger issues and my ****ing theropist is a ****ing nazi I ****ing cross stitch.

grumble grumble grumble.

Did it help?

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2008, 05:31:22 PM »
Cross stitch.

grumble grumble grumble.

Dutch, I know a guy who is a former Marine, a former boxer, has a wife, four kids, three grandkids, built his own boat, and runs one of the largest corporation in Dallas.  He is also a champion cross stitch artist.  It relaxes him. 

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2008, 05:49:14 PM »

It's lovely.  We can hang it in the living room.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2008, 06:01:42 PM »

It's lovely.  We can hang it in the living room.

:lmao:

Now I think that one might of been made out of anger, not relaxation

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2008, 07:35:19 PM »
Cross-stitch is where you need a hoop and make little "x" with thread, like the "Go **** Yourself" pictured.  I also do this.  :)

Crochet is where you hold 1 long needle and use yarn.  Knit is where they use 2 needles.  I don't know how to knit.

There's also "Punchneedle" which is like an embroidery.  I've never done that either.

Frank, is it possibly tapestry that you're thinking of?
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 07:40:07 PM »
A couple of months ago, I took a beginner's crochet class at JoAnn's Craft Stores. It was two nights for a total of four hours. The class was small so there was lots of personal attention. That was good because I needed it!

I made a nice scarf, almond colored with a maroon edging. I won't wear it much since I live in Phoenix. LOL. But at least it turned out nice.

I haven't picked up a crochet hook since. If I don't have someone standing over me, guiding me, I think I'm forever lost.

I should try and do something small again just to keep the skill fresh in my mind.

I just picked up a pamphlet that told me all the basic stitches years ago.  I still have to refresh my memory when I pick it up after a few months. 

I did a scarf and hat for my dad's wife for Christmas last year.  I used a bright pink fur yarn and a little sparkely white at the same time and it came out really nice. 
Stink Eye

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2008, 08:23:19 PM »
Frank, is it possibly tapestry that you're thinking of?

It's a baby blanket, not a drapery.

I'm sure that when Brown Eyes is feeling better, she can direct me to some web-site that illustrates samples of needlery.
apres moi, le deluge