Author Topic: Does the origin of the virus really matter?  (Read 487 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Does the origin of the virus really matter?
« on: April 21, 2020, 07:16:22 PM »
Star Member intrepidity (1,391 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100213325614

Does the origin of the virus really matter?

Wait, please understand what I'm asking before you reply.

I'm not asking about the response (or lack thereof) to the outbreak.

I'm not asking whether there is scientific value in pinpointing the precise origin.

What I'm wondering is what the difference will be if we ultimately discover that the virus was accidentally released from a research lab, versus that it got to us via a bat (or pangolin) via the wet market in Wuhan.

In either case, I will assume it was an accident (for the sake of this thread, please don't bring into it otherwise).

In either case, the need for stronger preventative measures exists for both, and are no doubt being dealt with by the Chinese.

In either case, China is clearly at fault and should accept responsibility, whatever that means.

So then, does it matter?

I think it does, but I want to hear other opinions.

Star Member DonaldsRump (1,843 posts)

1. Only if one is a racist

and basing his entire "re-"election campaign on pointing the blame at anyone but himself.

I wonder who this is?

Igel (30,375 posts)

4. Either way it goes back to China.

Saying that is no more racist than saying Chernobyl' was in the USSR is racist.

Or saying the Ebola was first identified along a river in the DR of Congo is racist. Even worse for Ebola, the river is named "Ebola."

lagomorph777 (12,828 posts)

14. National origin, not racist spin is significant to fix it. Specific path, of course.

If wet markets, in addition to being vile and cruel and an environmental crime, are the source of a series of pandemics, it's one more reason to shut them down.

If it's a lab, need to look at the lab's procedures and whether it is properly funded for safety measures (e.g. the WHO lab that our own scientists have participated in - are we funding WHO and is WHO funding that lab properly?)

Star Member Wounded Bear (35,531 posts)

7. It matters to those trying to find a scapegoat...

other than that, it does have use for those that you dismissed as beyond the scope of the dicsussion you seemed to want to start.

WestLosAngelesGal (149 posts)

24. The WHO is reporting that the cause of the virus is animals.

I believe them.

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline DUmpDiver

Re: Does the origin of the virus really matter?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 07:24:46 PM »
Watching CNN you'd think it was developed at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 07:30:10 PM »
If it's a lab, need to look at the lab's procedures and whether it is properly funded for safety measures (e.g. the WHO lab that our own scientists have participated in - are we funding WHO and is WHO funding that lab properly?)

https://abc14news.com/2020/04/20/obama-gave-infamous-wuhan-lab-millions-in-taxpayer-money-trump-has-vowed-to-end-further-grants/

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 09:17:00 AM »
1. The Chinese and Iranians (and maybe a couple of DU's chicken wire and cinder blocks brigade?) are claiming it's a US-developed bio-weapon. Disproving slander matters.

2. Without the context of origin, China's month of lying to the world, directly and through its running dog WHO, lacks context.

3. If the origin was the Wuhan virology lab (or other problem areas in China), being certain of that strengthens international pressure on China to clean up their act.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.