Author Topic: DU gives some Condi love  (Read 1269 times)

Offline zeitgeist

DU gives some Condi love
« on: May 08, 2017, 01:44:02 PM »

Ok,  so they use it for a cheap bash and whine about Confederate monuments...

https://upload.democraticunderground.com/10029030276

DonViejo (26,648 posts)

'Sanitizing History': Condoleezza Rice Slams Attempts to Remove Slave Owners' Monuments

by Matthew Balan | 9:50 am, May 8th, 2017

On Monday’s Fox and Friends, Condoleezza Rice criticized efforts to tear down statues and monuments to U.S. historical figures who owned slaves.

“When you start wiping out your history — sanitizing your history — to make you feel better, it’s a bad thing,” Rice said.

Host Brian Kilmeade noted that Rice started out her new book, “Democracy,” by writing about the U.S. Constitution. He wondered, “As an African-American woman, do you see yourself in this constitution? Do you think that, when we look at nine of our first twelve presidents as slave owners, should we start taking their statues down and say, we’re embarrassed by you?”

Rice replied, “I’m a firm believer in keep your history before you. And so, I don’t actually want to rename things that were named for slave owners.” The former secretary of state continued, “I want us to have to look at the names and recognize what they did; and be able to tell our kids what they did and for them to have a sense of their own history.”

more
http://www.mediaite.com/online/sanitizing-history-condoleezza-rice-slams-attempts-to-remove-slave-owners-monuments/

21 replies, 631 views

I loaded up everything that there was and brought it over.

Response to DonViejo (Original post)Mon May 8, 2017, 12:03 PM
2naSalit (17,943 posts)
1. ...

**** her and the oil tanker she slithered in on.

Response to 2naSalit (Reply #1)Mon May 8, 2017, 02:00 PM
Star Member longship (36,930 posts)
17. Stupid tanker!

B
Response to longship (Reply #17)Mon May 8, 2017, 02:03 PM
2naSalit (17,943 posts)
18. Precisely...nt

B
Response to DonViejo (Original post)Mon May 8, 2017, 12:05 PM
Star Member spanone (93,162 posts)
2. she'll say anything to sell her new book.

B
Response to DonViejo (Original post)Mon May 8, 2017, 12:06 PM
Orsino (34,721 posts)
3. The inventor of mushroom clouds doesn't get to invoke historical revisionism.

Let's keep our history before us, and recall that Rice remains complicit in some of the biggest lies ever told by anyone, anywhere.

B
Response to DonViejo (Original post)Mon May 8, 2017, 12:07 PM
ck4829 (18,218 posts)
4. If that's the case, then where are the monuments to the slaves or to the abolitionists?

Only one side here has sanitized history in that region.

B
Response to ck4829 (Reply #4)Mon May 8, 2017, 12:41 PM
geek tragedy (67,239 posts)
16. When Alabama designates Nat Turner State Park I'll accept the "it's just history" line nt

B
Response to DonViejo (Original post)Mon May 8, 2017, 12:08 PM
Star Member HughBeaumont (23,590 posts)
5. Yeah, it's almost as bad as not wanting to revisit American History's sins . . .

. . . . . like our almost perpetual involvement in war, slavery, the eradication of Native Americans, corporate crimes, Corporate America's constant attacks on the poor, the Cold War, misogyny and sexism, the violence towards the LGBTQI community, the shredding of the social contract and social safety net, etc. etc.

. . . mostly because we want to keep on committing those sins. OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

B
Response to DonViejo (Original post)Mon May 8, 2017, 12:08 PM
Star Member exboyfil (7,489 posts)
6. So why did they dynamite

the Swastika over the Zeppelin Stadium?

It is symbol of Germany's history.

B
Response to DonViejo (Original post)Mon May 8, 2017, 12:10 PM
Star Member kairos12 (4,791 posts)
7. Still waiting for her to wake up from her nap in July of 2001 while she and shrub

sleptwalk toward 9/11.

B
Response to DonViejo (Original post)Mon May 8, 2017, 12:16 PM
Star Member angrychair (4,129 posts)
8. Recognizing them and what they did, yes

Lifting them up by giving them monuments and naming schools or roads or buildings after them sends the wrong message to our kids and those new citizens to our country.
We can talk about them and what they did without glorifying them. Those monuments should be to the slaves and poor and disadvantaged on whose back this new nation was built on.

Why are so many of our monuments to war, death and the wealthy and so little to our scientists, writers and thinkers?
It goes to a fundamental flaw in our core values as a nation.

B
Response to DonViejo (Original post)Mon May 8, 2017, 12:18 PM
J_William_Ryan (355 posts)
9. Rice is as ignorant as she is wrong.

Nothing is being "destroyed"; such monuments are being relocated to more appropriate venues available for all to see, along with other relics of history.

B
Response to DonViejo (Original post)Mon May 8, 2017, 12:22 PM
Star Member Solly Mack (64,982 posts)
10. So she would be OK with monuments to this...

< DU adds Abu Ghraib photos>

...and there are more photos to choose from to turn into monuments.

Cause, you know, she wouldn't want history to be sanitized. (snortcoughchokespittlespew)

Monuments to history are one thing. A monument(s) that celebrates the oppressor is another.

You can teach the history of slavery without celebrating the slave owners.

B
Response to Solly Mack (Reply #10)Mon May 8, 2017, 12:32 PM
Star Member PunkinPi (1,746 posts)
13. Well said, Solly. nt

B
Response to PunkinPi (Reply #13)Mon May 8, 2017, 12:38 PM
Star Member Solly Mack (64,982 posts)
14. Thank you. I'm certain she wants that "history" forgotten yesterday.

The victims of America's torture will never forget.

B
Response to DonViejo (Original post)Mon May 8, 2017, 12:29 PM
Thomas Hurt (428 posts)
11. that is interesting....

she is basically making that the argument that it is a bad thing to sanitize revisionist history.

Not sure that I buy that....not sure that I don't either I guess.

B
Response to DonViejo (Original post)Mon May 8, 2017, 12:31 PM
Doodley (1,225 posts)
12. Keep the monuments, but put them in a museum as a reminder of how black slavery was celebrated.

B
Response to DonViejo (Original post)Mon May 8, 2017, 12:40 PM
15. Does Germany have statues of Adolf Eichmann or plazas named after Hermann Goering?

One does not need to celebrate history's monsters in order to remember the evil they did.

B
Response to geek tragedy (Reply #15)Mon May 8, 2017, 02:04 PM
2naSalit (17,943 posts)
19. +1!!!!

B
Response to DonViejo (Original post)Mon May 8, 2017, 02:09 PM
Star Member JI7 (60,688 posts)
20. museums books ?

B
Response to DonViejo (Original post)Mon May 8, 2017, 02:13 PM
Star Member Retrograde (5,166 posts)
21. I see a difference between honoring people

like Washington, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe - even Jackson - for their roles in shaping the United States, and honoring people like Jefferson Davis, Nathan Bedford Forrest, PT Beauregard, and Robert E. Lee who actively fought to dissolve the union and maintain a culture which treated some people like chattel. The Confederates were traitors per the Constitution.

If Washington and Lee University wants to erect a statue to one of its presidents, Robert E. Lee, I think that would be OK. If the Pentagon wants to erect statues of all former Secretaries of War/Defense and that includes Jefferson Davis, ok, that puts him in a historical context. But statues or other monuments based solely on their role in the rebellion is where I draw the line: they were erected to promote white supremacy and I had hoped we were beyond that by now.

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
Re: DU gives some Condi love
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 02:13:42 PM »
Response to DonViejo (Original post)Mon May 8, 2017, 12:06 PM
Orsino (34,721 posts)
3. The inventor of mushroom clouds doesn't get to invoke historical revisionism.

Let's keep our history before us, and recall that Rice remains complicit in some of the biggest lies ever told by anyone, anywhere.

B

DonViejo is absolutely right. Susan Rice has been complicit in some of the biggest lies ever told by anyone, anywhere.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 02:17:57 PM »
Remind me again what the difference is between the Taliban and DU members?
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline Maverick1987

• M o l o n L a b e
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 02:19:06 PM »
That entire thread is probably racist.  I wish bravenak would chime in to remind us so.
Deplorable since 2016

Offline tuolumnejim

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 02:22:35 PM »
There's a difference?
A people... who are possessed of the spirit of commerce, who see and who will pursue their advantages may achieve almost anything.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to Benjamin Harrison

"Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 03:17:36 PM »
Condi Rice has a higher IQ and more accomplishments than the sum total of DU.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 05:14:32 AM »
This is one of those obvious instances when DU looks first at the speaker then decides on if they think of the quote. If Hillary had said it and Bernie had agreed then there would be a huge positive consensus in DU-town tonight.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 05:56:33 AM »

One is full of virulent racists who hate and have expressed desires (and been applauded for it) to torture and kill anyone and everyone who has any opinions that differ even a fraction from Doctrine.

The other is the Taliban.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 07:20:41 AM »
Response to DonViejo (Original post)Mon May 8, 2017, 12:07 PM
ck4829 (18,218 posts)
4. If that's the case, then where are the monuments to the slaves or to the abolitionists?

Only one side here has sanitized history in that region.

A Googling I will Go! A Googling I will Go!

"slave quarters museum"

http://whitneyplantation.com/the-slave-quarters.html

http://www.bellamymansion.org/the-slave-quarters.html

https://www.thehenryford.org/collections-and-research/digital-collections/artifact/268474/#slide=gs-227695

http://history.pgparks.com/sites_and_museums/Northampton_Slave_Quarters_and_Archaeological_Park.htm

https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g147403-d147839-i88473580-Estate_Whim_Museum-Frederiksted_St_Croix_U_S_Virgin_Islands.html --- The Danish had slaves? Who knew? (I didn't, but it's a museum in US territory that has significant features about slaves' lives)

That's just from the first page of results, with duplicates omitted.

And just for the Smuggier-Than-Thou New England Libs/Progs:

http://www.royallhouse.org/

% % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % %

Response to ck4829 (Reply #4)Mon May 8, 2017, 12:41 PM
16. When Alabama designates Nat Turner State Park I'll accept the "it's just history" line nt
Hey MOH-ron! Nat Turner's Rebellion happened in Virginia, not Alabama. And since you snark:

http://pilotonline.com/news/local/history/courtland-s-insurrection-trail-is-not-ready-yet-but-a/article_e01db42e-88eb-5cfa-9508-7e7f95a3e8a2.html

https://www.scribd.com/document/326564265/No-6-Project-Update-Nat-Turner-1831-Southampton-Insurrection-Trail ---- This gives the history of the yet in progress project and what it will have when finished.

% % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % %

When Libs & Progs make Fact Claims begin by checking whether the claimed factoids are actually facts. Libs & Progs won't, and many assume you won't.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 12:49:59 PM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 08:38:31 AM »
LGBTQI community
I swear they are just adding letters at random now. Pretty soon it will just be easier for them to just list the letters they do not include.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline SVPete

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 08:56:08 AM »
I swear they are just adding letters at random now. Pretty soon it will just be easier for them to just list the letters they do not include.

They should just expand it to EVERYBODYWEDONTHATE and be done with it.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 09:31:57 AM »

I for Idiot or Ignorant?
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 12:32:35 PM »
I for Idiot or Ignorant?
My money is on Indeterminate.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 12:40:46 PM »
I for Idiot or Ignorant?

Yes.

Next question? :whistling:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Movie buff- The Sequel

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 05:32:25 PM »
"Yeah, it's almost as bad as not wanting to revisit American History's sins . . ."

Ultra- liberals like the DUmmies believe "Revisit" in this context means "Obsessively dwell on them, demand that all white Americans perpetually wallow in self- imposed guilt over them, and completely cast aside any mention of all the good that America has done in its history."

Offline Adam Wood

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2017, 01:22:45 AM »
The Taliban bathe more frequently.

Offline YupItsMe

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2017, 08:47:49 AM »

Hi 5  :lol:

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 10:24:36 AM »

I was thinking those in the Taliban moved out of the parents basement when they became adults.  H5!  :rotf:
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member