Author Topic: Army Pvt linked to Afghan War leaks (UPDATED)  (Read 5760 times)

Offline thundley4

Re: Army Pvt linked to Afghan War leaks (UPDATED)
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2010, 07:29:59 PM »
I was thinking some Mohammed tattoos and air dropping him into some al Qaeda stronghold.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2010, 09:04:11 PM »
I'm sure DAT will weigh in on this with a far better legal perspective than mine, but yeah, I'd say the Army gets first crack at Manning since he's subject to the UCMJ.

But I think it's entirely possible that a DOJ prosecutor or two might augment the military prosecution, which makes the guys' defense a tough row to hoe.

negative.  One of the articles of the UCMJ clearly states that civilian law gets adjudicated first, and sentence is served, prior to any UCMJ action.  Upshot is this kid can be tried for espionage, and if found guilty, do 25 in federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison, then be charged under UCMJ and be sentenced by a panel of senior NCO's and officers to the death he deserves.  If found not guilty of civilian charges, then he can face that panel of senior NCO's and officers 25 years ahead of that schedule.  No double jeopardy because it's a violation of two separate laws.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2010, 09:23:49 PM »
Thanks for that update, docstew.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2010, 09:32:50 PM »
Take a damn' reality pill.  We are not there as overlords, but at the sufferance of the elected Iraqi government we helped stand up.  They'll just ask us to pack our trash and move out long before that approach works, in fact it was failing pretty miserably when we did try that.  From the Iraqi point of view, when your 'Friends' end up killing more of your civilians than your 'Enemies' do, you don't really need those friends any more.
I know, I know...I guess I am just too passionate over this nation's efforts being bastardized at the sake of political correctness.
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline PatriotGame

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2010, 09:41:31 PM »
If his treasonous acts can be link to just ONE death of an informant here in Afghanistan...in my PERSONAL opinion he should get the death penalty.
This is sad...fracking sad. A member of the greatest fighting force on planet earth that has potentially comprised said fighting force, committing nothing short of treason, brings tears to my eyes. I could easily roll out all of the standard
"KILL THE BASTARD!
HANG THE BASTARD!
LIGHT UP THE BASTARD!"

Then I hear that hundreds of graves at Arlington may have bastardized.
At what ends?

Being fat, dumb, stupid and drunk is no way to go through life...for now, it is my only option.

(P.S. if found guilty, I want to see this cock-sucker hang)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2010, 10:44:46 PM »
If his treasonous acts can be link to just ONE death of an informant here in Afghanistan...in my PERSONAL opinion he should get the death penalty.

Or American and NATO soldiers and Afghan civilians.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2010, 12:51:09 AM »
I was thinking some Mohammed tattoos and air dropping him into some al Qaeda stronghold.

I like the sound of that :hi5:
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2010, 01:58:18 AM »
This is sad...fracking sad. A member of the greatest fighting force on planet earth that has potentially comprised said fighting force, committing nothing short of treason, brings tears to my eyes. I could easily roll out all of the standard
"KILL THE BASTARD!
HANG THE BASTARD!
LIGHT UP THE BASTARD!"

Then I hear that hundreds of graves at Arlington may have bastardized.
At what ends?

Being fat, dumb, stupid and drunk is no way to go through life...for now, it is my only option.

(P.S. if found guilty, I want to see this cock-sucker hang)

Just as a side note...and to add a touch of irony to this whole thing...Joe Biden was at Ft. Drum to welcome home the 2nd Bde 10th Mountain Division yesterday....the same unit that Pvt. manning is/was assigned to.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2010, 08:41:20 AM »
negative.  One of the articles of the UCMJ clearly states that civilian law gets adjudicated first, and sentence is served, prior to any UCMJ action.  Upshot is this kid can be tried for espionage, and if found guilty, do 25 in federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison, then be charged under UCMJ and be sentenced by a panel of senior NCO's and officers to the death he deserves.  If found not guilty of civilian charges, then he can face that panel of senior NCO's and officers 25 years ahead of that schedule.  No double jeopardy because it's a violation of two separate laws.

Well, actually the Feds and the military are the same sovereign for double jeopardy purposes, so one or the other gets him but not both.  Generally the DOJ does not take the case away from military jurisdiction for an active duty Soldier.  'Who gets him first' comes up a lot more frequently for crimes against State law, the military usually lets the State have them and if convicted the troop will then generally be administratively discharged with an OTH while in State custody rather than tried by the military on release or while in State detention.  Sometimes there'll be a trial in both the State and court-martial, which is NOT a double jeopardy problem (Different sovereigns), but it's fairly rare.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2010, 06:20:20 PM »
Ya gotta love the fact that he's sitting at Quantico, of all places.

First off, Marines HATE Army doggies.  Second, this traitorous piece of shit?  THERE?  Hell, he might hang himself before the weekend is out.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2010, 06:35:21 PM »
Well, actually the Feds and the military are the same sovereign for double jeopardy purposes, so one or the other gets him but not both.  Generally the DOJ does not take the case away from military jurisdiction for an active duty Soldier.  'Who gets him first' comes up a lot more frequently for crimes against State law, the military usually lets the State have them and if convicted the troop will then generally be administratively discharged with an OTH while in State custody rather than tried by the military on release or while in State detention.  Sometimes there'll be a trial in both the State and court-martial, which is NOT a double jeopardy problem (Different sovereigns), but it's fairly rare.

Wouldn't the Feds be able to charge him with espionage or unauthorized release of classified material, while the Army charged him with Art 90, Willfully Disobeying a Superior Commissioned Officer?  I'm sure at some point he was told by an officer of his chain that he was not to release secret info to anyone without authorization, and that's a capital offense.  Would they be able to make that stick?  (this is academic, I know that you're right about DOJ not taking the case away from the mil, well unless I put my tinfoil hat on)

[tinfoil hat mode]DOJ takes the case, intentionally screws the pooch, and the charges end up being dropped with prejudice.  If the Army can't come up with any separate charges that stick, he gets away scot free[/tinfoil hat mode]

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2010, 06:55:27 PM »
Doc,

Anything he did would be under Art. 92 at the very least, if not Article 106 (a) (Espionage).
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2010, 09:02:22 PM »
couple reasons I picked Art 90: 1) it's not espionage, which is what I'm assuming he would be charged with federally, 2) it carries the death penalty that he deserves.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2010, 09:15:06 PM »
couple reasons I picked Art 90: 1) it's not espionage, which is what I'm assuming he would be charged with federally, 2) it carries the death penalty that he deserves.

So does Espionage.  A little result of the Walker/Whitworth spy ring.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2010, 09:29:57 PM »
Unauthorized Disclosure of classified documents is subject to a $250,000.00 fine and up to 10 years in prison. (At least that's what the paper I signed said when I retired.)

Looks like several could apply:

Art 77
Art 92
Art  106 and 106a
Art 108
Art 118 (to be determined at this point)
Art 119 (to be determined at this point)
Art 121
Art 132
and finally, Art 134

It all depends on just how much the military wants to charge him with and whether or not he has caused or causes any deaths due to his actions.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/justicelawlegislation/l/blucmj.htm

I'm sure that there's someone on here that can explain to us EXACTLY what he can be charged with. ;)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline PatriotGame

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2010, 10:33:30 PM »

First off, Marines HATE Army doggies.  Second, this traitorous piece of shit?  THERE?  Hell, he might hang himself before the weekend is out.
Yummy...

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2010, 11:38:08 PM »
Just as a side note...and to add a touch of irony to this whole thing...Joe Biden was at Ft. Drum to welcome home the 2nd Bde 10th Mountain Division yesterday....the same unit that Pvt. manning is/was assigned to.

I was there when the unit started at Ft Drum back in the late 80's
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2010, 01:15:40 AM »

He better not drop the soap in the shower he may get a unexpected suprise in there
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2010, 10:17:43 AM »

The brig at Q is the DOD regional confinement facility, I expect he's in pretrial confinement or something that's as near to it as you can get.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2010, 10:51:24 AM »
He better not drop the soap in the shower he may get a unexpected suprise in there

In light of DAT's post just above, there's no way in hell the brig is going to put him in with any other prisoners under ANY circumstances - shower or otherwise. Apparently, the peter-puffer is on suicide watch.

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2010, 11:02:58 AM »
The link to the Telegraph has a picture of him at a gay pride parade.  Apparently he had some issues with the break-up of a 'Relationship' going on.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/7918632/Bradley-Manning-suspected-source-of-Wikileaks-documents-raged-on-his-Facebook-page.html

:gay2:

The DU post to which I linked was concerned that this would play into the 'Stereotype' of mentally-unstable homosexuals in sensitive jobs, derailing the end of DADT.  Ya think?

The US press has, of course, done its best to stonewall the entire matter of his sexual orientation, let alone discuss any implications of it to the breach in the first place.

Apparently the facts don't fit the MSM agenda here.  It's....An Inconvenient Truth!

:koolaid:

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2010, 11:33:05 AM »
Unauthorized Disclosure of classified documents is subject to a $250,000.00 fine and up to 10 years in prison. (At least that's what the paper I signed said when I retired.)

Looks like several could apply:

Art 77
Art 92
Art  106 and 106a
Art 108
Art 118 (to be determined at this point)
Art 119 (to be determined at this point)
Art 121
Art 132
and finally, Art 134

It all depends on just how much the military wants to charge him with and whether or not he has caused or causes any deaths due to his actions.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/justicelawlegislation/l/blucmj.htm

I'm sure that there's someone on here that can explain to us EXACTLY what he can be charged with. ;)

I would think that Article 104 section 2 might apply as well:

ART. 104. AIDING THE ENEMY 

Any person who--

(1) aids, or attempts to aid, the enemy with arms, ammunition, supplies, money, or other things; or

(2) without proper authority, knowingly harbors or protects or gives intelligence to or communicates or corresponds with or holds any intercourse with the enemy, either directly or indirectly;

shall suffer death or such other punishment as a court-martial or military commission may direct.

Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2010, 04:07:22 PM »
If he gets more then 1o years we should all be happy considering who';s the CIC and how many people he's tossed under the campain bus.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2010, 06:07:08 PM »
Notice that since this whole story broke, the whole DADT repeal thing has just kinda quietly slipped away?