Author Topic: Science fiction author Arthur C Clarke dies aged 90  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Science fiction author Arthur C Clarke dies aged 90
« on: March 18, 2008, 05:16:15 PM »
Science fiction author Arthur C Clarke dies aged 90

Science fiction writer Sir Arthur C Clarke has died aged 90 in his adopted home of Sri Lanka, it was confirmed tonight.

Clarke, who had battled debilitating post-polio syndrome since the 1960s and sometimes used a wheelchair, died at 1:30 a.m. after suffering breathing problems, aide Rohan De Silva said.

The visionary author of over 100 books, who predicted the existance of satellites, was most famous for his novel 2001: A Space Odyssey, and for his collaboration with director Stanley Kubrick on the film of the same name

He was also credited with the concept of communications satellites in 1945, decades before they became a reality.

Clarke was the last surviving member of what was sometimes known as the "Big Three" of science fiction alongside Robert A. Heinlein and Isaac Asimov.

:bawl:

...one of my favorite authors.   :bawl:

MORE
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Arthur C. Clarke dies
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 05:16:57 PM »
Science fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke, whose work included '2001: A Space Odyssey,' has died, a secretary at his foundation tells CNN.

http://edition.cnn.com/

No further details yet

Offline Chris_

Re: Arthur C. Clarke dies
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 05:19:19 PM »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

Re: Science fiction author Arthur C Clarke dies aged 90
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 05:36:26 PM »
He just had a birthday a couple months ago, I think.  I heard him on the radio at the time.  He did not sound good.

Offline Airwolf

Re: Science fiction author Arthur C Clarke dies aged 90
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 07:23:05 PM »
This year is the 40th anniversary of 2001: A Space Oddessy. I'm going to meet the two stars from the movie in July in Louisville Ky. This is sad news. I read his books in High School
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Re: Arthur C. Clarke dies
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 08:43:21 PM »