Author Topic: UK Election Produces Hung Parliament, Conservatives Lead  (Read 1242 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator

The U.K.'s parliamentary election has resulted in a hung parliament in which no one party has a majority of the 650 seats, the first such outcome since 1974.

With 34 electoral districts yet to declare, the opposition Conservative Party was set to be the largest grouping in the new legislature. But with 291 out of the 616 constituencies that have declared, it now can't win the 326 seats needed to secure an overall majority.

The result means the U.K. faces continued uncertainty over who will be prime minister and what the shape of the next government will be, an outcome that put pressure on U.K. assets as London trading geared up early Friday.

Conservative Party leader David Cameron could seek to form a coalition with the Liberal Democrats or go it alone and lead a minority government.

Labour Party Prime Minister Gordon Brown could also seek to cobble together a coalition. But with the Liberal Democrats suffering a hugely disappointing election result, the combination of Labour and the Liberal Democrats may fall short of a majority.

The results so far represent a 92-seat net gain for the Conservatives, a net 86-seat loss for Labour and a surprise net loss of six seats for the Liberal Democrats, whose poll ratings had soared earlier in the election campaign.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100507-705440.html?mod=WSJ_World_MIDDLEHeadlinesEurope
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
Re: UK Election Produces Hung Parliament, Conservatives Lead
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 07:36:12 AM »
The Labour-LibDem-SNP-other coalition is still possible.

Brown gets first crack at forming government.

DUP does not like the Tories idea of cutting spending, as if Labour would be able to avoid that.

Offline Karin

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 10:42:51 AM »
I understand that the execrable George Galloway has been handed his hat.  Jacqui Smith too.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 10:49:18 AM »
UKIP got over a million votes and no seats.

So much for 3rd.... I mean 9th parties.

I like the idea of an English Parliament. Scotland, Wales and N Ireland have them, why can't the English have one too?

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 01:27:05 PM »
Obama's view of Cameron: a lightweight, claims magazine

According to tomorrow's New Statesman, Barack Obama was unimpressed by his encounter with David Cameron earlier this year and commented: "What a lightweight!"

According to James Macintyre's report, Cameron's attempt to stress his pro-American and Eurosceptic credentials did not meet with Obama's approval. According to Macintyre's diplomatic sources, the Democratic candidate was "distinctly unimpressed" and labelled Cameron a lightweight.

I can't believe this ****ing clown is our President.  Wake me up when it's time to vote.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 01:30:01 PM »
I can't believe this ****ing clown is our President.  Wake me up when it's time to vote.

Everyday that man says shit that pisses me off.  He is a clown, you are  right.  What an embarrassment he is. 

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 11:59:02 PM »
I would love to be a fly on the wall when he finds out he has not won for a second term
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 06:08:29 AM »
Negotiations continue on a coalition, meanwhile ...

A MAN aged 59 was squatting in a luxury home near the Houses of Parliament last night.

The squatter, named as a Mr Gordon Brown from Scotland, was refusing to budge from the Georgian townhouse in Downing Street, central London - denying entry to its rightful tenant.
Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/election2010/2964713/Gordon-Brown-squatting-in-No-10.html#ixzz0nKqGJtAr

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 06:19:33 AM »
Well, thank you Scotland, home of public sector workers and welfare claimants ...

Handsome Tory majority in England: 297 seats v 191 for Lab, 43 for LibDem, 1 Green. Voting share: Con40%, Lab29%, Lib24%. http://ur.lc/j7f

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/election2010/results/region/48.stm