Author Topic: Argentina hit by 6.3 magnitude earthquake after Haiti and Venezuela  (Read 5726 times)

Offline CC27

The latest news is a 6.3 magnitude earthquake struck Argentina after the 7.0 Haiti Earthquake and the 5.6 Venezuela Earthquake, and all less than a week apart.

According to the US Geological Survey, the earthquake was centered 354 km southeast of Ushuaia, Argentina, the capital of the Argentine province of Tierra del Fuego, at a depth of 21 km, or about 10.5 miles down. The earthquake hit at 8am local time (1200 GMT, 8pm Singapore time). Reuters reports that no tsunami warning was immediately issued by the West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center.

No word of damage as of this writing.

Argentina was planning to send a plane of supplies and aid for Haiti.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/abraham/detail??blogid=95&entry_id=55432

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Re: Argentina hit by 6.3 magnitude earthquake after Haiti and Venezuela
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 10:07:13 AM »
The latest news is a 6.3 magnitude earthquake struck Argentina after the 7.0 Haiti Earthquake and the 5.6 Venezuela Earthquake, and all less than a week apart.

According to the US Geological Survey, the earthquake was centered 354 km southeast of Ushuaia, Argentina, the capital of the Argentine province of Tierra del Fuego, at a depth of 21 km, or about 10.5 miles down. The earthquake hit at 8am local time (1200 GMT, 8pm Singapore time). Reuters reports that no tsunami warning was immediately issued by the West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center.

No word of damage as of this writing.

Argentina was planning to send a plane of supplies and aid for Haiti.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/abraham/detail??blogid=95&entry_id=55432

Didn't our West Coast get a big rumble last week also.?

I put this outbreak of earthquakes as the fault of those dudes that sent a rocket into the moon looking for water.     We upset the moon some how, we know the gravitational pull does to the oceans and that pull must also be on our tectonic plates.

Anyway we up here have had in the last 3 years 2 earthquakes strong enough to move homes on their foundations.  These quakes are way different from the one we went through in the 1970's,
Santa Rosa quake that actually moved the ground under our feet.

These Yankee Quakes start out with noise, big booming like cannon fire.  They are isolated to a very small area less then a mile.    Damage is small but they scared people half to death, some think there is a shoot out in their neighborhood.

May be lots going on under our oceans that we do not know about because our scientists are more interested in the make up of Mars then studying what makes out own planet tick.     This is akin to a doctor leaving his own sick child to tend to a strangers that may or not be ill.

All this freaking money we spend for science and so little to investigate the very base of our lives.

Tornado's kill hundreds of people

Hurricanes kill thousands

Earthquakes kill hundreds of thousands.

We cannot prevent these occurrences but we can study the causes of undersea activity to give us 3 steps out the door. a running start.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 11:03:33 AM »
There will be earthquakes in diverse places...

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 11:09:37 AM »
There was also an earthquake in OKC on the 15th.  I might start getting nervous... the New Madrid fault is on the MO/TN border and is supposed to be as bad as the San Andreas from what I've heard.

http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,39213.0
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 11:11:54 AM »
There was also an earthquake in OKC on the 15th.  I might start getting nervous... the New Madrid fault is on the MO/TN border and is supposed to be as bad as the San Andreas from what I've heard.

http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,39213.0
Does the region have a history of building earthquake resistant buildings like California? If not, things could get real bad real quick.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 11:14:25 AM »
Does the region have a history of building earthquake resistant buildings like California? If not, things could get real bad real quick.

Nope... not at all.  Just your standard brick-and-mortar, steel reinforced concrete, and stick frame construction.  If something happens there, Memphis and St. Louis are screwed.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 11:53:07 AM »
There will be earthquakes in diverse places...                   CHECK!

There will be wars and rumors of wars...                        CHECK!

"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 12:00:54 PM »
There will be wars and rumors of wars...                        CHECK!

There will be stripper glitter everywhere...

Lord, hear my prayer...
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline SVPete

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 12:20:09 PM »
I might start getting nervous... the New Madrid fault is on the MO/TN border and is supposed to be as bad as the San Andreas from what I've heard.
Depends on how you define, "as bad." For frequency of quakes, not at all as bad. But when it does go off ... :o ! I've read that the 1811 and/or 1812 quakes rang church bells in Boston, and at least one of them caused parts of the Mississippi River to flow northward, briefly. IIRC, Richter referred to accounts of those quakes for his definition of a magnitude 10 quake. If the Midwest and Northeast's construction codes do not take earthquakes into account, a magnitude 8-10 quake on the New Madrid fault could be horrific.

CA's geography is so chopped up with multiple fault lines that the Central Valley scarcely felt (or didn't at all feel) the October, 1989 Loma Prieta quake. OTOH, the recent quake near Crescent City, much further away than Loma Prieta, was felt in the Central Valley.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 11:06:06 PM »
The first earthquake I ever experienced was in Millington, TN, just outside of Memphis. That was back in 1975. It was pretty mild, maybe a 3.8, if that.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 11:53:10 PM »
Depends on how you define, "as bad." For frequency of quakes, not at all as bad. But when it does go off ... :o ! I've read that the 1811 and/or 1812 quakes rang church bells in Boston, and at least one of them caused parts of the Mississippi River to flow northward, briefly. IIRC, Richter referred to accounts of those quakes for his definition of a magnitude 10 quake. If the Midwest and Northeast's construction codes do not take earthquakes into account, a magnitude 8-10 quake on the New Madrid fault could be horrific.

CA's geography is so chopped up with multiple fault lines that the Central Valley scarcely felt (or didn't at all feel) the October, 1989 Loma Prieta quake. OTOH, the recent quake near Crescent City, much further away than Loma Prieta, was felt in the Central Valley.

The 1800 quakes from the New Madrid fault, did cause the Mississippi itself to move and Reelfoot Lake was created.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1812_New_Madrid_earthquake

We had an earthquake here about 20 years ago. I was in bed, but awake and reading....all of a suddent the picture on the wall above the headboard started flapping against the wall.

I woke my then husband....he told me I was crazy, it couldn't have been an earthquake.  ::)

It was....and a couple of houses down the street sustained some damage. One had their front basement wall collapse. Insurance didn't pay for the damage, because they didn't have earthquake insurance on their homeowner's policy.

I had it put on ours....and we had it for several years, but there was something like a $10,000 deductible for the earthquake coverage.

We don't have it now....mainly because it's so difficult to get in this area....and most companies don't have it to offer.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 06:53:04 AM »

Pete, when I first moved to TN. to a small farm 50 miles south of Nashville, the kids who were teenagers at that time and I explored every inch of the 130 acres and found places where the ground had been sliced open like butter with a hot knife.

Hours we spent crawling about in and out of caves with these smooth rock walls over our heads.  I finally found someone that told me the intire area had been part of that old time earthquake.

Amazing really the power it must have taken to slice the solid rock to 20 feet or more down into the earth.

Fortunately the population in that area must have been very low, but we imagine not much was left of the forests for hundreds of miles. This by itself would have changed the ecology and effected the game migrations for generations to come.

Only bright light was with the forests gone, the farmers could come  in and clear the land much easier to plant their crops.  Villages and roads came about with less the work.  More domesticated animals could be raised and there was plenty of wood to build homes, barns and fences.

Now I hear from time to time that that area could have another quake just as bad as the last.   

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 08:59:22 AM »
We had an earthquake here about 20 years ago. I was in bed, but awake and reading....all of a suddent the picture on the wall above the headboard started flapping against the wall.

I woke my then husband....he told me I was crazy, it couldn't have been an earthquake.  ::)

It was....and a couple of houses down the street sustained some damage. One had their front basement wall collapse. Insurance didn't pay for the damage, because they didn't have earthquake insurance on their homeowner's policy.

I had it put on ours....and we had it for several years, but there was something like a $10,000 deductible for the earthquake coverage.

We don't have it now....mainly because it's so difficult to get in this area....and most companies don't have it to offer.

In our area of the country, we have what is called the "Brevard Fault Zone" which runs from Alabama into Pennsylvania.  We had quite a few insignificant earthquakes, but since Asheville is closer to the fault line than Knoxville we feel them a little more than you do.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 09:41:09 AM »
I never realized that earthquakes are happening daily in different parts of the world.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all.html