Author Topic: Michael Phelps acknowledges pot pipe photo and apologizes  (Read 5509 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Michael Phelps acknowledges pot pipe photo and apologizes
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2009, 08:42:30 PM »
I doubt the SC police department will actually file charges.  I got into trouble once for posession... then entire process disturbed me enough to never touch the stuff again.  Hopefully, Phelps will learn his lesson.  Not that I particularly agree with some federal drug laws, but the law is still the law.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2009, 09:30:28 PM »
You know, I am sick to death of this 'oh, he's young, they all do it, no biggie, it's not murder' mentality.  It's utter crap.  Not every single young person sits around with their face buried in a bong.  I certainly didn't do that crap and neither did my sister.

Millions of teenagers smoking pot doesn't make it right and it doesn't make it harmless.  There's something seriously wrong with this country if this kind of behavior is seen as harmless teenage folly.

Speaking for myself, I never said he shouldn't take his lumps. By all means, there are consequences for exhibited behaviors.

But crucifying the kid for this kind of thing isn't the answer either.

Hit him with a misdemeanor and a $1K fine.

End of story. Move on, the show's over.

Don't like that? Think the fine should be more?

The law in SC says up to 6 months and/or a $1K fine. No way is Phelps going to serve time. Nuh uh. So he'll pay the fine and have a misdemeanor on his record.

Like I said before, BFD.

Now, how about something NEWSWORTHY? Like Tom Daschle failing to pay in excess of $100K in taxes, for example.

Seems like all Daschle has to do is pony up the taxes he never paid and goes scot-free. Where's the justice now? A former senator, indeed, a former majority leader, behaving like a street thug.

How's THAT for an example for young people?

Phelps has a LONG way to go before he approximates the rape that Daschle has done on his name, his party, his state, and his nation.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2009, 06:44:35 AM »
You know, I am sick to death of this 'oh, he's young, they all do it, no biggie, it's not murder' mentality.  It's utter crap.  Not every single young person sits around with their face buried in a bong.  I certainly didn't do that crap and neither did my sister.

Millions of teenagers smoking pot doesn't make it right and it doesn't make it harmless.  There's something seriously wrong with this country if this kind of behavior is seen as harmless teenage folly.

Phelps has done alot more with his life then just sit at home with his face in a bong. It's sad that this happened as many young people look up to him as an athlete. I am sure Michael is under alot of pressure and he was at a party, started to unwind and had a little too much to drink, and made a really big mistake. He's human and confessed.

I don't think anyone is saying drugs are harmless, and there is alot of crime behind even minor drug use.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2009, 06:48:59 AM »
Speaking for myself, I never said he shouldn't take his lumps. By all means, there are consequences for exhibited behaviors.

The law in SC says up to 6 months and/or a $1K fine. No way is Phelps going to serve time. Nuh uh. So he'll pay the fine and have a misdemeanor on his record.

Like I said before, BFD.

Now, how about something NEWSWORTHY? Like Tom Daschle failing to pay in excess of $100K in taxes, for example.

Seems like all Daschle has to do is pony up the taxes he never paid and goes scot-free. Where's the justice now? A former senator, indeed, a former majority leader, behaving like a street thug.

Phelps has a LONG way to go before he approximates the rape that Daschle has done on his name, his party, his state, and his nation.

Can you even be fined for smoking pot? Or do you have to be caught with it in your possession, in your blood when driving or caught with parafinalia?

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2009, 09:40:12 AM »
Can you even be fined for smoking pot? Or do you have to be caught with it in your possession, in your blood when driving or caught with parafinalia?

Good question, but it seems to me that "evidence" would have to include being caught in the act (with the stuff that's being smoked analyzed to confirm it's pot), or have it in your body through a piss test. Seems to me there must be some sort of legal minimum quantity. Not sure if paraphernalia is enough to be busted for possession.

The legal beagles will make the call on that, I suppose.

Offline Manbearpig

• Probationary (Probie)
  • Worf is so fierce...
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2009, 05:29:15 PM »

Like I said before, BFD.

No, I don't really care what happens to Phelps, okay?  I don't care if he's a role model or not, and I don't care if he gets off with just paying a fine or going to jail or whatever it doesn't ****ing matter to me, as it's inconsequential to anything and everything at large.  I was talking about the attitude towards drugs in general.  Some people think pot is no big deal, I disagree.  BIG ****ING DEAL.

And it's just so funny that this was worth a bitchslap?  So which one of you is totally and utterly incapable of handling different opinions?  Let's see how many I can accumulate in one hour...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 05:32:50 PM by Manbearpig »
Hey Obama...

"We think you're a joke
Shove your hope
Where it don't shine..."

-- "Shove It" by Santogold

Offline Tess

• Frivolous Fun!
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2009, 05:32:24 PM »
No, I don't really care what happens to Phelps, okay?  I was talking about the attitude towards drugs in general.  Some people think pot is no big deal, I disagree.  I don't care about any of that other shit.

And it's just so funny that this was worth a bitchslap?  So which one of you is totally and utterly incapable of handling different opinions?

I just bitchslapped you because you got all pissy over someone else doing it.  Sorry...couldn't resist.

:-)
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.

Sometimes I aim to please, but mostly I just shoot to kill.

Offline Manbearpig

• Probationary (Probie)
  • Worf is so fierce...
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2009, 05:33:20 PM »
Somehow I knew that was going to happen...it happens a lot around here.   :-)
Hey Obama...

"We think you're a joke
Shove your hope
Where it don't shine..."

-- "Shove It" by Santogold

Offline Tess

• Frivolous Fun!
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2009, 05:48:28 PM »
Somehow I knew that was going to happen...it happens a lot around here.   :-)

At least I evened it out with putting you at the 10 mark.   :-)
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.

Sometimes I aim to please, but mostly I just shoot to kill.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2009, 09:03:36 AM »
No, I don't really care what happens to Phelps, okay?  I don't care if he's a role model or not, and I don't care if he gets off with just paying a fine or going to jail or whatever it doesn't ****ing matter to me, as it's inconsequential to anything and everything at large.  I was talking about the attitude towards drugs in general.  Some people think pot is no big deal, I disagree.  BIG ****ING DEAL.

:rotf:

If all this is "inconsequential to anything and everything at large", then what's your problem besides the "attitude toward drugs in general"?

Again, speaking for myself, I never indicated any type of attitude toward the use of illegal drugs - none at all.

Perhaps others have in this thread, and you're railing on about them. Fair enough.  :lmao:

If you think smoking pot is a huge freaking deal, then why haven't our politicians agreed with you to the extent that anyone caught with a bong and a bowl full of cannabis is subjected to being drawn and quartered?

:lmao:

Have a nice day, Manbearpig.

Man, what a great way to start the day - with a rich, out-loud belly laugh!

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2009, 12:17:08 AM »

And it's just so funny that this was worth a bitchslap?  So which one of you is totally and utterly incapable of handling different opinions?  Let's see how many I can accumulate in one hour...

Dude, do a bong and chill out.  :evillaugh:

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2009, 12:18:43 AM »
USA Swimming suspends Phelps for 3 months

Michael Phelps’ day grew lousier by the hour on Thursday.

First he lost a major sponsor, then he got suspended.

The Olympic great was suspended from competition for three months by USA Swimming, the latest fallout from a photo that showed him inhaling from a marijuana pipe.

The sport’s national governing body also cut off its financial support to Phelps for the same three-month period, effective immediately.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-phelpssuspended&prov=ap&type=lgns

« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 12:20:43 AM by RobJohnson »

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2009, 12:21:17 AM »
Suspended for three months.  In the middle of winter. 

m'kay.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2009, 01:02:28 AM »
Suspended for three months.  In the middle of winter. 

m'kay.

I think they swim in indoor pools.

There were links to other articles as well, like maybe no more olympics and being arrested by the sherrif.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2009, 01:06:21 AM »
The 23-year-old has resumed training in his hometown of Baltimore, but his plans to return to competitive swimming will have to be put on hold. Phelps had planned to compete in early March at a Grand Prix meet in Austin, Texas.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2009, 01:08:12 AM »
I think they swim in indoor pools.

There were links to other articles as well, like maybe no more olympics and being arrested by the sherrif.

I doubt they'll arrest him.  It would be very bad publicity for the sherrif's department.  I imagine they put their statement out to scare Phelps.  Hopefully he will learn a lesson from this and avoid that garbage.  Given the Olympic Committee's penchant for cold hard cash, I doubt they would punish a celebrity like Phelps with more than a slap on the wrist.  Ditto for his sponsors.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2009, 01:16:41 AM »
I doubt they'll arrest him.  It would be very bad publicity for the sherrif's department.  I imagine they put their statement out to scare Phelps.  Hopefully he will learn a lesson from this and avoid that garbage.  Given the Olympic Committee's penchant for cold hard cash, I doubt they would punish a celebrity like Phelps with more than a slap on the wrist.  Ditto for his sponsors.

Yeah, I am sure this has been tough on him. I am pretty sure he feels like shit right now.

He is one hell of an athlete.

Plus it looks like there was too much water in the bong.  :fuelfire:

Offline Sam Adams

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2009, 06:02:05 AM »
What sucks is him being a role model and all to kids and maybe potential Olympic athletes. Now if he was just some regular guy, who cares if he kills his braincells by smoking the Hippy Lettuce?

Also this... stolen from V the K

ROFL. that's good. H5

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2009, 08:57:42 PM »
Update.......

No pot charge for swimmer Phelps after photo

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP)—Now that Michael Phelps won’t face drug charges, he can try to distance himself from a photo that showed the Olympian smoking a marijuana pipe.

A South Carolina sheriff decided Monday after a highly publicized investigation that he simply didn’t have enough physical evidence to charge the 14-time gold medalist.

“We had a photo and we had him saying he was sorry for his inappropriate behavior. That behavior could’ve been going to a party,” Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott said.

“He never said, ‘I smoked marijuana.’ He never confessed that,” the sheriff said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-phelps-marijuana&prov=ap&type=lgns

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2009, 09:13:19 AM »
And in other news today, Michael Phelps just set another world record, this time in the 420.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Sam Adams

« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2009, 10:05:57 AM »
And in other news today, Michael Phelps just set another world record, this time in the 420.

H5

Offline Sweet Dee

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2009, 11:03:48 AM »

Right?!  lol  I'm surprised people are still talking about this.   :overreaction:  if you ask me ;)  Not like the guy's mainlining heroin or slapping his girlfriend around.   I also find it hard to believe that people who are all in a bunch over it have never smoked pot, been around someone who has smoked pot, or directly knows someone who has smoked or plans to smoke in the future.  lol   :p 

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2009, 02:49:44 PM »
Right?!  lol  I'm surprised people are still talking about this.   :overreaction:  if you ask me ;)  Not like the guy's mainlining heroin or slapping his girlfriend around.   I also find it hard to believe that people who are all in a bunch over it have never smoked pot, been around someone who has smoked pot, or directly knows someone who has smoked or plans to smoke in the future.  lol   :p 

I have never smoked pot....and in my younger days....didn't know very many people who didn't smoke it. But not because I didn't want to commit a crime. If that was the case, I would have waited to drink alcohol when I was old enough.

I had an intense allergic reaction to inhaling tobacco on the 2 times that I tried it....once when 15 and once again at 16.  I was always afraid that if I tried pot, my throat could close up and I would be dead before someone even realized I was in trouble!

However....that never stopped me from attending parties where others were smoking it. Nor did I tell them ...."oh gee whiz....that's illegal...you shouldn't smoke it....gasp!"

Personally....I think it should be legalized, tax the hell out of it like liquor is taxed. Think of the money that could be collected in taxes on it. Think of what legalizing it would do to knock out the tremendous income that comes from the sale of it because it's illegal.

Pot smoking does not create the physical addiction to it like alcohol or cigarettes do to the body.

It does create an emotional addiction....but so does gambling.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Sweet Dee

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2009, 02:53:46 PM »

I have never smoked pot....and in my younger days....didn't know very many people who didn't smoke it. But not because I didn't want to commit a crime. If that was the case, I would have waited to drink alcohol when I was old enough.

I had an intense allergic reaction to inhaling tobacco on the 2 times that I tried it....once when 15 and once again at 16.  I was always afraid that if I tried pot, my throat could close up and I would be dead before someone even realized I was in trouble!

However....that never stopped me from attending parties where others were smoking it. Nor did I tell them ...."oh gee whiz....that's illegal...you shouldn't smoke it....gasp!"

Personally....I think it should be legalized, tax the hell out of it like liquor is taxed. Think of the money that could be collected in taxes on it. Think of what legalizing it would do to knock out the tremendous income that comes from the sale of it because it's illegal.

Pot smoking does not create the physical addiction to it like alcohol or cigarettes do to the body

It does create an emotional addiction....but so does gambling.

You = smart.  And not emotionally overjudgemental.  lol  Booze causes way more problems than pot but it's legal.   :shucks:  oh well.  Interesting point about the physical/emotional addictions.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2009, 02:59:10 PM »
You = smart.  And not emotionally overjudgemental.  lol  Booze causes way more problems than pot but it's legal.   :shucks:  oh well.  Interesting point about the physical/emotional addictions.

Very much agreed and I don't smoke pot either.  H5 Deb.  :)
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."