Author Topic: Source: Prosecutor seeks arrest in Holloway case  (Read 3396 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Source: Prosecutor seeks arrest in Holloway case
« on: February 02, 2008, 09:29:58 PM »
Source: Prosecutor seeks arrest in Holloway case

(CNN) -- Aruba's chief public prosecutor has requested that a suspect in the Natalee Holloway case be arrested for a third time based on new evidence, a source familiar with the investigation told CNN.

Hans Mos expects to hear a ruling from a judge as soon as Saturday or Sunday on the request regarding Joran van der Sloot, the source said.

If the judge rules in favor of the request, van der Sloot -- who is attending college in the Netherlands -- would be brought back to Aruba for further questioning and investigation, the source said.

There was no request for the rearrest of brothers Satish and Deepak Kalpoe, who had previously been named as suspects in the investigation.

Holloway, 18, disappeared in 2005 while visiting Aruba with about 100 classmates celebrating their graduation from Mountain Brook High School in suburban Birmingham, Alabama.

She was last seen leaving the nightclub with van der Sloot and the Kalpoe brothers. She failed to show up for her flight home the following day, and her packed bags were found in her hotel room.

more at the link

someone murdered that poor girl, and only dutch stupidity may protect the murderer.

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Source: Prosecutor seeks arrest in Holloway case
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 10:05:50 PM »
The prolonged fascination with this case fascinates me.  I wonder if FOX News will turn back into the Holloway Channel?

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 10:14:34 PM »
The prolonged fascination with this case fascinates me.  I wonder if FOX News will turn back into the Holloway Channel?

the fascination is justified.  an innocent girl is murdered in a vacation spot?  and european laws protect the potential murderers?  anyone would want to know everything they could about that.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 10:19:14 PM »
Experience shows the general public is not usually enthralled with something for almost three years.   We'd all like to know what happened to the girl I'm sure. 

The original coverage was very overdramatic.  That's my point.  It should be news, but enough with the tabloid stuff (hinting to FOX). 

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 10:21:47 PM »
Experience shows the general public is not usually enthralled with something for almost three years.   We'd all like to know what happened to the girl I'm sure. 

The original coverage was very overdramatic.  That's my point.  It should be news, but enough with the tabloid stuff (hinting to FOX). 

while I may have thought that the original coverage was overdone, I thought that the inability of the dutch to finger the murderers was absolutely newsworthy.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 10:23:18 PM »

while I may have thought that the original coverage was overdone, I thought that the inability of the dutch to finger the murderers was absolutely newsworthy.

And I will defend to your death your right to think so!

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 10:46:46 PM »

I know what you mean.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 10:51:28 PM »

I know what you mean.

I agree, too, but when FOX started going into the personal lives of the non-suspects, I just couldn't take it anymore.  It could have been very interesting to follow if not for the tabloid crap day after day.   Relentless coverage of the inept authorities got pushed aside when it should have been the whole story.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 10:54:19 PM »

I agree, too, but when FOX started going into the personal lives of the non-suspects, I just couldn't take it anymore.  It could have been very interesting to follow if not for the tabloid crap day after day.   Relentless coverage of the inept authorities got pushed aside when it should have been the whole story.

The coverage was overkill for sure. I remember it was big news before Hurricane Katrina made landfall. Remember Chandra Levy? It too was covered a lot and on September 11, 2001, it all changed. In fact, I notice before something really bad happens, they usually focus on something like Holloway or Levy or Anna Nicole Smith or shark attacks.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 11:02:31 PM »

the media over reaction to news events doesn't make them less newsworthy.

it's just more crap that we have to plow through to find the real news.  and the holloway story
is real news, IMO.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 08:09:18 AM »
I expect it was something more like manslaughter than an intentional act of murder (i.e tried to drug her but she was already high as a kite on something that reacted badly to whatever they used), or even her drowning on her own vomit while (semi-)voluntarily in their company, and then the little weasels dug the hole deeper by disposing of the body and trying to cover it up instead of walking away and playing dumb afterward, which would probably have worked out better for them.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Moon

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 09:52:37 AM »
This whole thing makes the Aruban and Dutch authorities look like blithering fools.  I'd like to know who did it, and see them face justice, but to re-arrest the same kid 3 times, and still not be able to go to trial??

:o

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 09:58:40 AM »
This whole thing makes the Aruban and Dutch authorities look like blithering fools.  I'd like to know who did it, and see them face justice, but to re-arrest the same kid 3 times, and still not be able to go to trial??

It seems dumb yes, and the authorities are either extremely inept, or covering something up.

You'd like to see justice done for Holloway, but I think this is going to go unsolved for a long time.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline Moon

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 10:05:31 AM »

It seems dumb yes, and the authorities are either extremely inept, or covering something up.

You'd like to see justice done for Holloway, but I think this is going to go unsolved for a long time.

I tend to think that the police know who did it, but are unable to either prove it, or convince the prosecutors to prosecute.