Author Topic: Senate Democrats Adding to Stimulus  (Read 2303 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Senate Democrats Adding to Stimulus
« on: January 28, 2008, 01:44:50 PM »
Senate Democrats Adding to Stimulus
Senate Democrats Plan Add-Ons to $150 Billion Economic Stimulus Package

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Senate Democrats will move to add to a $150 billion economic stimulus package rebates for senior citizens living off Social Security and an extension of unemployment benefits, setting up a clash with the White House and House leaders who are pushing a narrower package.

As the House planned a vote Tuesday on a plan that would speed rebates of up to $600 to most income earners -- more for couples and families with children -- the Senate was planning to draft its own measure with the add-ons, said senior Senate aides in both parties, speaking on condition of anonymity because the package is not yet final.

The move was in defiance of admonitions from the Bush administration not to risk derailing the deal with changes, and it threatened to slow what was shaping up as an extraordinarily rapid trip through Congress for the stimulus measure. The president and House leaders agreed last week on a proposal to provide rebates to 117 million families and to give businesses $50 billion in incentives to invest in new plants and equipment. The goal is to help head off a recession and boost consumer confidence.

A meeting of the Senate Finance Committee to draft a new version of the bill could come as early as Wednesday.

Adding rebates for senior citizens living solely off Social Security checks -- who are ineligible under the plan hatched by House leaders and the White House -- would likely mean doling out smaller rebates overall, shrinking the size of the payments from $600 to $500, according to aides familiar with the emerging proposal.

More

good.  maybe they will kill it. 

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Re: Senate Democrats Adding to Stimulus
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 01:52:44 PM »
I hope it dies too. Of course they will call Bush the heartless one who killed it. And the DUmmies will lap it up as usual.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 04:14:31 PM »
Being I didn't qualify for it...I say kill it.. :evilbird:

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 04:25:27 PM »
I hope it dies too. Of course they will call Bush the heartless one who killed it. And the DUmmies will lap it up as usual.

That opportunity to label President Bush as heartless is the reason the democrats load these things up with more goodies than will ever be approved.  Democrats' motives are never pure or in anyones best interest but their own.  Democrats don't give a tarnished sh*t about people in general except to the extent it is no fun to be in power without someone to lord over.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 05:11:09 PM »
If they want a nice little make-work project I know of a 3300 mile fence that needs building.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 05:34:57 PM »
FREE MONEY!  FREE MONEY!  IT IS GROWING ON TREES AND IF YOU DON'T GRAB SOME, YOU CAN'T GET SOME!  FREE MONEY! FREE MONEY!

JUST REMEMBER WHO GAVE YOU THE FREE MONEY!  FREE MONEY!
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 05:35:41 PM »
If they want a nice little make-work project I know of a 3300 mile fence that needs building.

Yeah, they'll just hire some of those WalMart greeter dudes and station them at the fence and give every illegal a grand on the way in.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.