Author Topic: Obama runs away with SC primary  (Read 16037 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Obama runs away with SC primary
« on: January 26, 2008, 06:33:35 PM »
COLUMBIA, S.C. - Barack Obama routed Hillary Rodham Clinton in the racially-charged South Carolina primary Saturday night, regaining campaign momentum in the prelude to a Feb. 5 coast-to-coast competition for more than 1,600 Democratic National Convention delegates.

About half the voters were black, according to polling place interviews, and four out of five of them supported Obama. Black women turned out in particularly large numbers. Obama, the first-term Illinois senator, got a quarter of the white vote while Clinton and Edwards split the rest.

Nearly six in 10 voters said the former president's efforts for his wife was important to their choice, and among them, slightly more favored Obama than the former first lady.

Overall, Obama defeated Clinton among both men and women.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/south_carolina_primary
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

Re: Obama runs away with SC primary
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 06:57:58 PM »
Exit polls: Bill Clinton's effect

(CNN) — Bill Clinton's aggressive campaigning in South Carolina in the days leading up to the state's primary may have had a negative effect among South Carolina’s Democratic primary voters, CNN exit polls indicate.

Roughly 6 in 10 South Carolina Democratic primary voters said Bill Clinton's campaigning was important in how they ultimately decided to vote, and of those voters, 47 percent went for Barack Obama while only 38 percent went for Hillary Clinton. Fourteen percent of those voters voted for John Edwards

Meanwhile, the exit polls also indicate Obama easily beat Clinton among those voters who decided in the last three days — when news reports heavily covered the former president's heightened criticisms of Obama. Twenty percent of South Carolina Democrats made their decision in the last three days and 57 percent of them chose Obama, while only 18 percent picked Clinton

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/01/26/exit-polls-bill-clintons-effect/
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 07:02:08 PM »
How could that happen to the first black President?   Looks like the gloss has come off.

Offline dortt

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 07:08:53 PM »
How are the Superdelegates going to vote?

Since the lib race seems to be coming down to a delegate count, these 9 may be important

personally, I'd love nothing more than to see the libs continue fighting through the convention

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 07:15:08 PM »
Sor far "No Answer" and "Undecided" are leading against HRC 2 to 1.   :-)

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/23/leading-among-the-unpledged/

edit:  oooh, Dennis the K has one vote.

Offline Lisa

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 07:56:42 PM »
Very glad to see this, as I cannot stand Hillary and Edwards never had much of a chance. What a smackdown for Queen I'm Entitled to the Presidency, Damnit! herself. Now if he can just keep this up and win the nomination!!!!!!!!!!!

And you'd be really surprised at how many of us Dems do NOT want Hillary as the nominee and didn't even want her to run. Not that it makes much difference what hubby and I think, since our primary isn't until June 3, the very last one in the country.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 08:02:19 PM »
Very glad to see this, as I cannot stand Hillary and Edwards never had much of a chance. What a smackdown for Queen I'm Entitled to the Presidency, Damnit! herself. Now if he can just keep this up and win the nomination!!!!!!!!!!!

And you'd be really surprised at how many of us Dems do NOT want Hillary as the nominee and didn't even want her to run. Not that it makes much difference what hubby and I think, since our primary isn't until June 3, the very last one in the country.

I agree with you, but not for the reasons you list. Obama is unelectable -- thus I want him as candidate. 

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 08:08:50 PM »

I dunno.

I still think Messalina Agrippina's the one, and you're stuck with her; you'll be singing her praises in circa two months.

Actually, as a conservative Republican, while there's 298,576,689 other Americans I'd sooner see as president, Messalina Agrippina's the Democrat most stomachable to me.

Don't count her out; South Carolina is a small state with a substantial proportion of the population there imagining Barack Hussein Obama is "one of them," when he's one of them about as much as I am.

I love this year; I'm tired of someone getting the nomination (either Republican or Democrat) all "tied up" before the convention.  

Of course, we have George McGovern of South Dakota to blame for that; he announced his candidacy in early 1971, for the 1972 Democrat nomination, which was at the time scandalously early.  And it's been that way ever since then.

There's been no drama, no excitement, no last-minute deals, surrounding any Democrat candidate since 1960, and any Republican candidate since 1968 (i.e., the party convention started where someone did not already have the necessary votes all in place).

It'd be good for America if we got back to that.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline dortt

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 08:25:21 PM »
wasn't 1976 also contested as neither Regan nor Ford had enough votes, until Regan nominated the moderate for VP?

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 08:27:18 PM »
FOX just reported that Caroline Kennedy in an op ed piece for tomorrow's paper, has compared Obama to her father....

bet that's going to really pffftttt off Hillary. :-)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 08:30:16 PM »
wasn't 1976 also contested as neither Regan nor Ford had enough votes, until Regan nominated the moderate for VP?

If I recall correctly--which I might, or might not--Gerald Ford had the nomination wrapped up a few days before the convention, but it was a slender enough of a margin that Ronald Reagan still had hopes of snatching some of those away.  But by the time the convention started, Ford did have the majority of votes.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 08:41:12 PM »
Clinton seeks to smooth relations with Obama
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080125/pl_nm/usa_politics_clinton_dc

Hillary says Bill may have gotten carried away

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 09:47:51 PM »
 Why do I get so happy when Hillary gets her ass handed to her? :yahoo:

:evillaugh:

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 09:53:21 PM »

I would much rather run against her than the BarackStar.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 10:01:38 PM »

I'm not so sure about that...but regardless...I love to see her defeated...don't rob me of this simple pleasure :tongue:

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2008, 10:07:33 PM »
FOX just reported that Caroline Kennedy in an op ed piece for tomorrow's paper, has compared Obama to her father....

bet that's going to really pffftttt off Hillary. :-)

The Kennedy clan, Kerry, Gore and Dean do not want Hillary as the nominee. They are bitter that Bubba did very little to help Kerry or Gore get elected Prez.

I hope Obama gets the nomination because I think he would be easier to defeat than the Queen. If elected, it would take him a year or so to get his feet on the ground. Conversely, Hillary would be off and running with her ultra left wing social agenda on day one.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2008, 10:16:09 PM »
How are the Superdelegates going to vote?

Since the lib race seems to be coming down to a delegate count, these 9 may be important

personally, I'd love nothing more than to see the libs continue fighting through the convention

Just time to get the popcorn and watch them rip their throats.  :rotf: :lmao:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2008, 10:16:49 PM »

I'm not so sure about that...but regardless...I love to see her defeated...don't rob me of this simple pleasure :tongue:

the BarackStar is something completely unknown, and something we haven't seen before.  he is brilliant, well spoken, physically attractive, and an african american.

we could be in trouble if he gets the dem nomination.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2008, 10:25:54 PM »

Lisa, it was very nice to see the Obama smack down in SC today. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2008, 10:41:09 PM »

the BarackStar is something completely unknown, and something we haven't seen before.  he is brilliant, well spoken, physically attractive, and an african american.

we could be in trouble if he gets the dem nomination.

Bama Jelly Hussein isn't so brilliant when he is off script.  He doesn't wing it well at all.  He sort of sounds infantile when he thinks up his own sentences.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2008, 10:43:48 PM »

Clinton's eating humble pie, my how the Short Bus could have fun with that...
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2008, 10:50:14 PM »
I seriously doubted anyone could beat the Clinton Machine, but this Obama feller seems poised to pull it off.

I ALMOST look forward to it because it will be fun to watch the libs rip each other a new one while simultaneously vindicating everything the conservatives ever said about ruthlessness of Billary Inc. They will absolutely savage the man in a last-ditch desperate effort to save their careers.

Alas, such charismatic populism will bode ill for the general election. We need to sharpen our game all the more.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2008, 10:57:52 PM »
I seriously doubted anyone could beat the Clinton Machine, but this Obama feller seems poised to pull it off.

I ALMOST look forward to it because it will be fun to watch the libs rip each other a new one while simultaneously vindicating everything the conservatives ever said about ruthlessness of Billary Inc. They will absolutely savage the man in a last-ditch desperate effort to save their careers.

Alas, such charismatic populism will bode ill for the general election. We need to sharpen our game all the more.

the clinton machine is already pulling out all the stops.  they were flatly in the gutter for the past two days.  watch what happens tomorrow;  they will gently start suggesting that Barack can only win "black votes".

just judging from what I have seen here in charleston, however, I can assure you all that white people have fallen in love with the guy.  if he gets the nomination, and mccain gets ours, I cringe at the thought of seeing mccain and obama on the same debate stage, with his message of change.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2008, 11:00:29 PM »

the clinton machine is already pulling out all the stops.  they were flatly in the gutter for the past two days.  watch what happens tomorrow;  they will gently start suggesting that Barack can only win "black votes".

just judging from what I have seen here in charleston, however, I can assure you all that white people have fallen in love with the guy.  if he gets the nomination, and mccain gets ours, I cringe at the thought of seeing mccain and obama on the same debate stage, with his message of change.

They already started today.  Bill said something about Jesse Jackson winning SC.   ::)

People are seeing that the nastiness is coming from the Clinton camp. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2008, 11:08:32 PM »

My wife has taken to listening to his sound bites when he is on the news.  She is becoming Obama'd because he is preaching a message where the clintoon's are still playing politcs.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.