Author Topic: President Obama’s Address to Students Across America September 8, 2009  (Read 1069 times)

Offline bijou

Description
President Obama’s Address to Students Across America September 8, 2009
PreK-6 Menu of Classroom Activities: President Obama’s Address to Students Across America
Produced by Teaching Ambassador Fellows, U.S. Department of Education
September 8, 2009

Before the Speech:
•   Teachers can build background knowledge about the President of the United States and his speech by reading books about presidents and Barack Obama and motivate students by asking the following questions:
Who is the President of the United States?
What do you think it takes to be President?
To whom do you think the President is going to be speaking?
Why do you think he wants to speak to you?
What do you think he will say to you?
•   Teachers can ask students to imagine being the President delivering a speech to all of the students in the United States. What would you tell students? What can students do to help in our schools? Teachers can chart ideas about what they would say.
•   Why is it important that we listen to the President and other elected officials, like the mayor, senators, members of congress, or the governor? Why is what they say important?
During the Speech:
•   As the President speaks, teachers can ask students to write down key ideas or phrases that are important or personally meaningful. Students could use a note-taking graphic organizer such as a Cluster Web, or students could record their thoughts on sticky notes. Younger children can draw pictures and write as appropriate. As students listen to the speech, they could think about the following:
What is the President trying to tell me?
What is the President asking me to do?
What new ideas and actions is the President challenging me to think about?
•   Students can record important parts of the speech where the President is asking them to do something. Students might think about: What specific job is he asking me to do? Is he asking anything of anyone else? Teachers? Principals? Parents? The American people? ...
More here

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Ah yes--when in doubt, speak to the ones who can't or won't debate you.  Indoctrination at it's finest.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline cottondress

Ah yes--when in doubt, speak to the ones who can't or won't debate you.  Indoctrination at it's finest.

Indoctrination was the first word that came to my mind also...it gets scarier by the day. 
Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Offline thundley4

When will they be awarded their brown shirts, and what's the bounty for reporting their parents, um , er, guardians ?

Offline Chump

Reason #629935 to home-school.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.   ~Robert A. Heinlein

...let the cannibal who snarls that the freedom of man's mind was needed to create an industrial civilization, but is not needed to maintain it, be given an arrowhead and bearskin, not a university chair of economics.
~Atlas Shrugged, Galt's speech

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
Keep your children home.

Marine Cpl. David Hedrick to Congressman Baird, "STAY AWAY FROM MY KIDS!"

Cpl. Hedrick on FOXNews

Cpl. Hedrick's YouTube Channel

I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Re: President Obama’s Address to Students Across America September 8, 2009
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 01:50:53 PM »
I see that I will be stepping up my de-programming plan this school year. :whatever:
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
What's the big deal, I think it's great he's speaking to the kids........it's really cool
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

What's the big deal, I think it's great he's speaking to the kids........it's really cool

Actually I agree, my enthusiasm is however somewhat tempered by the thought that there is probably going to be a bunch of Global Climate Change BS plowed into it, along with My Pet Unicorn stories about green energy, and the obligatory plug for Fed-heavy social services. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 06:29:08 PM »
^exactly. My son told me that the first priority when we decide what kind of dog to get (we've been talking about it recently) is one that's good for the environment. WTH? I said, they all poop and that's fertilizer so there!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 01:02:59 AM »
To tell you the truth, I don't want this communist teaching my grandchildren a damn thing!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline RGSG99

• Homeschooling and loving it!
  • Just Off Probation
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 06:47:17 AM »
My child will not be attending school that day.
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule.
– H.L. Mencken

Offline djones520

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 07:47:58 AM »
I don't mind the president speaking to the children at all.  They've all done it, they should keep doing it.

Having the Education Department come down and "suggest" that teachers make children read his books, and stuff like that though.  That just reeks of extreme narcissism though.  Kinda disgusting IMO.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 09:20:03 AM »
^exactly. My son told me that the first priority when we decide what kind of dog to get (we've been talking about it recently) is one that's good for the environment. WTH? I said, they all poop and that's fertilizer so there!
A dog that good for the environment?
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline bijou

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 10:09:02 AM »
Michelle Malkin weighs in:

Obama’s classroom campaign: No junior lobbyist left behind
By Michelle Malkin  •  September 2, 2009 05:02 AM

Photoshop: Leo Alberti

My syndicated column today digs a little deeper into President Obama’s September 8 speech to schoolchildren. The school guides now featured front and center on the www.ed.gov website were developed by the White House Teaching Fellows — a group which includes several activist educators as you’ll see below.

Downplaying academic achievement in favor of left-wing radical activism in the public schools is rooted in old neighborhood pal and Weather Underground terrorist Bill Ayers’ pedagogical philosophy. It was the Chicago Annenberg Challenge way when the two served as board members of the educational foundation — and it is the Washington Obama way now.

Obama’s classroom campaign: No junior lobbyist left behind
by Michelle Malkin
Creators Syndicate
Copyright 2009

“ABC” stands for All Barack’s Children. On September 8, young students across the country will be watching television. Yes, they’ll be parked in front of the boob tube and computer screens watching President Obama’s address on education.

Instead of practicing cursive, reviewing multiplication tables, diagramming sentences, or learning something concrete, America’s kids will be lectured about the importance of learning. And then the schoolchildren, from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade, will be exhorted to Do Something — other than sit in their seats and receive academic instruction, that is.

Education Secretary Arne Duncan dispatched letters to principals nationwide boasting that “This is the first time an American president has spoken directly to the nation’s school children about persisting and succeeding in school.” But the goal is not merely morale-boosting. According to White House event-related guides developed by the U.S. Department of Education’s Teaching Fellows, grade-school students will be told to “listen to the speech” and “could think about the following:” ...
http://michellemalkin.com/2009/09/02/obama%E2%80%99s-classroom-campaign-no-junior-lobbyist-left-behind/#comments