Author Topic: Video Games  (Read 6950 times)

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
Video Games
« on: May 09, 2011, 05:29:43 PM »
I personally love video games and have since I got my first console, an Atari 2600 in the early 80's. Since then I've played almost every console and 100s of games. I'm not a computer nerd, but I am when it comes to video games.

Right now I've got a NES, SNES, N64, Wii, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis w/CD and 32x, Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, xBox and a few others like the 2600 I have put away.

I can't begin to list the games I own, but enough to keep me happy for years to come. And yes I know I'm a  :loser: .

Just wondering what you guys all own and play for video games.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Video Games
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 06:01:25 PM »
I personally love video games and have since I got my first console, an Atari 2600 in the early 80's. Since then I've played almost every console and 100s of games. I'm not a computer nerd, but I am when it comes to video games.

Right now I've got a NES, SNES, N64, Wii, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis w/CD and 32x, Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, xBox and a few others like the 2600 I have put away.

I can't begin to list the games I own, but enough to keep me happy for years to come. And yes I know I'm a  :loser: .

Just wondering what you guys all own and play for video games.

Where does your Jetta figure into this?

j/k  :-)
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 06:18:40 PM »
Got an XBox 360 from my fraternity brothers for my birthday last month. Only have Halo 3 and Fallout: New Vegas so far, but I'm not much of a gamer. Want to get Halo: Reach and NHL 2011 next, but I need to save my money for moving in a couple months. Mainly I use mine to watch Netflix on XBox Live.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 06:21:04 PM »

Where does your Jetta figure into this?

j/k  :-)

It carries the video games home when I buy them, duh  :tongue:

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 06:33:33 PM »
I've never liked console games or consoles.

PC games I played a lot as a youth but can't really get as interested in them these days. Every now and again a decent one like Fallout3 or Borderlands comes around and I play it for a couple weeks before completing it and getting bored.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 06:51:28 PM »
Atari 2600 (two heavy sixers and a Darth Vader)

Nintendo

Super Nintendo

Nintendo 64 

Gamecube

Wii

Xbox

Playstation

Playstation 2

Dreamcast

Compaq, you might enjoy heading over to www.cinemassacre.com and watching some of the reviews under the "Angry Video Game Nerd" heading. 

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 06:57:12 PM »
For years I was exclusively a PC Gamer. But now I own a Wii and mostly use it for exercise.
I've owned the following:
NES
Vetrix
ColecoVison
Atari 2600 emulator for the ColecoVision
Odyssey 2 as a kid so, technically, my mom owned that one

In addition, my cousins had one of those early machines with pong and squash. All the games, insofar as I can remember, were part of the console. I think it had two other games along with pong and squash.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 09:45:31 PM »
I have my laptop which I use to play SimCity and Civilization (both version 4).

That's it.

Other computer games just don't interest me.  I'll play board games with friends, but that's it.
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 10:12:42 PM »
I've had:

Atari 2600
Intellivision
NES
SNES
N64
Playstation
PS2
Xbox
Wii
Xbox 360

I only know where the last 5 and the Intellivision are at. The rest either broke or were traded for cash when a new console came out.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:29:06 PM by Odin's Hand »
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 11:52:26 PM »
We currently have a Wii & PS3.  We still have our PS2, but it's in the closet right now.

PS3 games are Grand Theft Auto 4 and GT 5. 

Wii games... too many to list & I don't feel like looking.  I love my Wii though.  :)
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 04:29:29 PM »
We currently have a Wii & PS3.  We still have our PS2, but it's in the closet right now.

PS3 games are Grand Theft Auto 4 and GT 5. 

Wii games... too many to list & I don't feel like looking.  I love my Wii though.  :)

No, you hate your Wii, and you want to sell it to me, so I have an extra for when I wear mine out.  :-)

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 09:46:31 AM »
I've played comp games since Pong came out. Fell in love with PC games when I started playing first person shooters and then games like Thief.
 Right now I'm playing Runes of Magic with my wife who is also playing Rift, an abso-effin-beautiful game.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 09:55:29 AM »
No, you hate your Wii, and you want to sell it to me, so I have an extra for when I wear mine out.  :-)

No, she hates her Wii and wants to GIVE it to me.  Because I don't have one, and I want one, even though I would love to get Kinect, my room is too small for it.   :-)

I used to play PC games like Diablo and Dungeon Siege.  Never got a WOW, UO, or any pay account game though. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 03:55:10 PM »
I have a Wii that I do not have more the the the wii fit and the sports disks.

I rather play games on a PC. The ones I like best and replay often are the Half-life versions and Quake. Wolfenstein was/is also fun.

The Command and Conquer games used to be fun to play until they lamed up the style going from the traditional style of the original game thru Red Alert 2 and instead going to the style introduced with Generals.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 03:23:07 PM »
I too prefer the PC for games. My favorite by far is the original Deus Ex, but I also enjoy Mass Effect 2 and the original Unreal.
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 09:27:07 PM »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYym1U226M[/youtube]

This is one of the few times I wished I had an X-Box 360 or a PS3 instead of just a PC for my gaming fun. I've been watching my nephew-in-law play this and it's one of the few times watching a game being played is just as entertaing as playing it. Rockstar did a great job on this one.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 10:23:24 PM »

This is one of the few times I wished I had an X-Box 360 or a PS3 instead of just a PC for my gaming fun. I've been watching my nephew-in-law play this and it's one of the few times watching a game being played is just as entertaing as playing it. Rockstar did a great job on this one.

I saw the preview for this game last night.  I LOVE Rockstar games and will beg for this from my husband.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Hanyou

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 04:01:18 PM »
I love games.  I really do.  I think they're some of the best entertainment out there.

That said, I'm so disappointed with the current state of the industry--packed as it is with shooters and online multiplayer--that I don't even know if I can call myself a gamer anymore.  Video games look more like Hollywood movies now--they're less quirky, fun, interesting.  Even the soundtracks aren't as catchy.

My favorite franchises are Zelda (just got OoT 3DS...amazing!), Mario, Pokemon, Harvest Moon, Tales of... and (classic) Sonic.  It seems like blockbuster franchises don't remotely resemble these anymore, which is really disappointing.

But I still know which games I love, so I guess that's a plus.

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 06:11:28 PM »
I love games.  I really do.  I think they're some of the best entertainment out there.

That said, I'm so disappointed with the current state of the industry--packed as it is with shooters and online multiplayer--that I don't even know if I can call myself a gamer anymore.  Video games look more like Hollywood movies now--they're less quirky, fun, interesting.  Even the soundtracks aren't as catchy.

My favorite franchises are Zelda (just got OoT 3DS...amazing!), Mario, Pokemon, Harvest Moon, Tales of... and (classic) Sonic.  It seems like blockbuster franchises don't remotely resemble these anymore, which is really disappointing.

But I still know which games I love, so I guess that's a plus.

I would have to agree with you when it comes to the current state of games. I guess my biggest problem with many of the new games is they are simply rehashed from old games with not a whole lot of new ground breaking type stuff however, there are exceptions.

I'd have to also agree with your favourite franchises. The very top of my list are the Zelda games, with a Link to the past and OoT being my top picks. I'm also quite into Shmup's which is my favourite genre of games.

I rather play games on a PC. The ones I like best and replay often are the Half-life versions and Quake. Wolfenstein was/is also fun.

I've never been into PC gaming but then again in the 90's I could pop a game in my console and go, whereas with DOS there were constant issues. I'll admit PC gaming has come along way, but I still prefer the convenience of consoles.

Offline Bertram

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2011, 12:40:36 PM »

It's the second time in a row Rockstar as screwed over us PC gamers.

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 12:09:05 AM »
LA Noire is on my list. Picked up COD4: Modern Warfare a few weeks ago. Yeah, 4 years after everyone else, but still. I'm hooked. Got COD:MW2 yesterday and pre-ordered MW3. Speaking of which, think I'm going to go and off some Russians.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2011, 11:38:12 AM »
It's the second time in a row Rockstar as screwed over us PC gamers.

Update: Heard on G4TV that LA Noire will be coming out for the PC this fall. I confirmed this on the L.A. Noire section of the Rockstar website....no release date given yet though.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe