Author Topic: Need a recipe  (Read 37750 times)

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: Need a recipe
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2011, 04:52:31 PM »
All kidding aside, try it. It's not that hard to make, but does require a little planning. The best cuts of beef, which USED to be considered "junk" are skirt or flank. Almost nothing else will work, (I've seen chuck, too greasy, and London Broil mentioned (it dosn't have the flavor) it needs to be a long fibered (NO puns dammit :tongue: ) so it will shred.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2011, 02:05:59 AM »
REAL Texas style chili contains NO BEANS  nor any tomatoes!!  :bird: [/chili purist mode]

Anybody that would use either is either a Yankee or simply disregards the history of chili or they're just sick in the head !

BTW, Wineslob, I often use chuck, but I trim most of the fat out of it. I've also used smoked brisket, which turned out wonderful (again, I trim a good majority of the fat away)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2011, 11:04:13 AM »
REAL Texas style chili contains NO BEANS  nor any tomatoes!!  :bird: [/chili purist mode]

Anybody that would use either is either a Yankee or simply disregards the history of chili or they're just sick in the head !

BTW, Wineslob, I often use chuck, but I trim most of the fat out of it. I've also used smoked brisket, which turned out wonderful (again, I trim a good majority of the fat away)

Usually with a chuck roast, you end up with no meat left.   :-)  I forgot about brisket. I'll have try that when beef isn't priced like gold.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2011, 02:39:05 PM »

Usually with a chuck roast, you end up with no meat left.   :-)  I forgot about brisket. I'll have try that when beef isn't priced like gold.

I haven't had that problem with chuck roasts. Of course, I look for the leanest cuts.

As far as the brisket, I had smoked some a while back. It was getting old and it needed to be used up. I cut it up for chili. The chili turned out wonderful!!

Yeah, beef is outrageously priced right now. This drought in Texas has definitely hurt the beef prices.  Ranchers can't hardly afford to feed their cattle.  All of that gets passed onto us, the consumer.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson