Author Topic: price of hamburger  (Read 10178 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: price of hamburger
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2012, 08:35:58 PM »
Today while in the big city I stopped off at the superbig supermarket where the hoi polloi shops, Hy-Vee.

I don't care much for Hy-Vee in that their stores are way too big.  I'm usually going in for only four or five items, and it's a hassle to have to walk six miles through the store.  This is another reason I prefer to shop at the much smaller grocery store with a marquee in front and with valet parking.  The prices are higher, but damn, one doesn't have to wear hiking boots.

Anyway.

90% lean ground beef, regular price, $4.49 per pound.

85% lean ground beef, regular price, $2.50 per pound, 10 pounds minimum.

There was something called "pork steaks" on special, at $1.88 per pound.  I dunno what those are; they looked real, and as if somewhat lighter versions of beef eye of round.

I'm no expert on meat.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2012, 04:56:02 PM »
Today in the big city, at the new grocery store where the hoi polloi shops, covering acres and acres and acres, the regular price of ground beef, 90% lean, was $4.49 a pound.

I've noticed something.

It used to be that beef products were about half the whole half-mile length of the meat section (the already-packaged meat section, not the half-mile row of windows and counters in front of the butchers), with pork, poultry, and fish taking up the rest of its length.

Now it appears that pork is starting to dominate, easily 40% of the length--not quite half--and more space than what beef takes up.

Boneless pork loin, on special, $1.88 per pound.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2012, 08:44:10 PM »
Frank, I have noticed the same Pork to Beef ratio here in Texas for about the last month or so.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2012, 08:47:59 PM »
Frank, I have noticed the same Pork to Beef ratio here in Texas for about the last month or so.

What I've found odd is that pork's been touted as the ideal cook-out food.

I don't pay attention to everything, and perhaps this has been done before, but it's the first I've seen it done.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2012, 08:50:14 PM »
What I've found odd is that pork's been touted as the ideal cook-out food.

I don't pay attention to everything, and perhaps this has been done before, but it's the first I've seen it done.

Same way in my flyers here too.  Odd indeed.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline thundley4

« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2012, 04:36:36 AM »
Yesterday I noticed several cuts of pork on sale for under $2/lb. but almost all hamburger is over $3/lb and steaks and beef roasts go from $4 and up.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2012, 11:57:51 PM »
I picked up a 3 lb or larger package of boneless top sirloin (I got the petite cut that were nice and thick) for 3.99 lb from Smiths, which is owned by Kroger. Darn good steaks. Much better then a ribeye I had a popular Iowa restaurant that cost me twenty bucks.

I also picked up black Angus ground beef 85/15 for 3.49 lb.

I was happy with both deals and have a few steaks in the freezer without breaking my debit card.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 12:01:50 AM by RobJohnson »