Author Topic: Food prices rise sharply - and there's more to come  (Read 10988 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Food prices rise sharply - and there's more to come
« on: December 17, 2010, 04:07:45 AM »
This could easily be in the Economics or Living Off The Grid and Survivalism forums.  It the lefties in San Fran are getting it, it's bad.  Can't wait to see them try to blame this on President Bush.  But, seeing that this is a San Fran Chronicle article, all I can (and will) post is the link to the article.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/12/15/MN571GQRDL.DTL#ixzz18MWOrHL1

One more reason to stock up the pantry.  As Glenn Beck put it, be a shelter instead of a burden.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline thundley4

Re: Food prices rise sharply - and there's more to come
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 04:45:52 AM »
We went shopping yesterday.  Ouch. Minute Maid orange juice is over $6/gal, not that we bought any.  Milk was over $3/gal.

Offline Traveshamockery

• Nana to Kyle and Garrett
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 07:34:24 AM »
Is it true that the price of gas and food is not factored into the inflation index numbers that we hear? 

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 08:07:23 AM »
Is it true that the price of gas and food is not factored into the inflation index numbers that we hear? 

Sure is.  "They" assume that when a food item's price goes up, we'll switch to a different food (i.e. steaks to ground beef), so they don't factor it in.  I don't know what their logic is for not including gas.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 08:51:40 AM »

Ghetto cooking is about to rear it's head here.

What is ghetto cooking, well it is high carobs, vegetables, and little meat.

Some of the best meals I have ever eaten were at homes of my friends that lived in a Ghetto area.  The base was Ramen noodles or rice and some kind of green and perhaps a bit of meat used as flavoring.

It is difficult for a family of two working parents, or single parents to cook a meal at home for the family after  a full day of work.-----Cheaper also to buy prepared meals then to cook at home.

Then the factor that in a rush to get to work, who has the time to make a decent breakfast for the family.  Just plunk a gallon of milk on the table, get out the bowls of super expensive cereals loaded with sugar and feed the kids this in fact JUNK food.

Yes food is is at the top of human needs, it and water come ahead of clothing and shelter. Check out the price of rice a staple for 85%  + of the world.

When food prices go sky high the first to be hit is the meat industry of all kinds,  then the wheat, rice and all grain industry's.

We in America  have been moved into the large consumption  of meat products.  We seem to need loads of animal products.

Quick story, back in the early 1970's the meat--all meat production shut down, on strike for some reason--higher prices--what ever.

I could not get to the military commissary's at that time and walked into a big time grocery store.  What a surprising thing, the meat cases were empty, no steaks, hamburger, roasts or even hot dogs or Kalbasa.  No meat at all unless in cans and the deli was empty.

People had bought out all the canned tuna and spam, not even one can of potted meat was left.  This problem went on for a week or so and someone made a deal with someone else and soon the meat was back on the shelves.

This was just a quickie way back then for the unions to flex their muscles and scare the hell out of the American public.-----
This was California and I do not know if the other states were effected but it made its impression on me.

When the price for flour, rice and other grain products begins to climb, that is the time to get out there and buy a big plastic trash can or 3  and start loading it up.  The grains and flour will last years in that container.

See a sale on vegetable oil, get out and buy a few gallons and stash them with the grains in a closet.

Buy one container for dried beans and stock up on canned vegetables.  Sale on canned meat, you don't have to like it but you will when you are hungry.

A closed container for dry milk, dried potatoes and dried eggs will help feed one in an emergency.

When one follows the sale ads and does what we use to call hoarding ----a bad thing at the time----  In times of stress with no electricity or other methods we can feed out family's on these things on a small fire pit in the back yard.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 11:24:01 AM »
See a sale on vegetable oil, get out and buy a few gallons and stash them with the grains in a closet.

Have you seen the price of vegetable oil recently?  I just had to buy some last week and it was about $5 for the store brand and $6-$8 for name brand. 

Just use coupons.  The last time I went to Albertson's, I was able to get three weeks of food, for three people, for around $75.  We still have some of that food left over, but those are foods that we end up piling in our pantry for food storage. 

I think we will be making a trip to Albertson's this weekend, only if they have the best deals.  I'll take my camera and snap pictures of the things we bought the last time I took pictures.  Then I will compare those prices from about a month ago and see how much things have risen.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 11:29:36 AM »
99 cent store, Grocery Outlet, here I come.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 11:37:59 AM »
Back to "college meal planning"...mac and cheese, ramen, generic hot dogs, and when it's Friday evening, hit the dining hall all-you-can-eat and pig the hell out.

I can hear it at the Chinese place now..."YOU BE HEAH FO HOUR!!!"
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 03:24:31 PM »
Have you seen the price of vegetable oil recently?  I just had to buy some last week and it was about $5 for the store brand and $6-$8 for name brand. 

Just use coupons.  The last time I went to Albertson's, I was able to get three weeks of food, for three people, for around $75.  We still have some of that food left over, but those are foods that we end up piling in our pantry for food storage. 

I think we will be making a trip to Albertson's this weekend, only if they have the best deals.  I'll take my camera and snap pictures of the things we bought the last time I took pictures.  Then I will compare those prices from about a month ago and see how much things have risen.

Good idea but has anyone thought of the prices on the additives.----say soy sauce or Sesame oil, then the bay leaves and Parsley, rosemary, and thyme..

Spices, OH yes we had wars because of spices, how many died to protect the spice trade.???

Keep an eye out on the spices, in times past people were paid a wage in spices.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 03:40:36 PM »
Good idea but has anyone thought of the prices on the additives.----say soy sauce or Sesame oil, then the bay leaves and Parsley, rosemary, and thyme..

Spices, OH yes we had wars because of spices, how many died to protect the spice trade.???

I currently have bay leaves and rosemary growing in my yard, and I had thyme and parsley earlier this year. 

If you live in a temperate climate, herbs are easy.  We might have to sacrifice saffron and cinnamon if the US gets cut off from global trade, but we can take care of the herbs.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 03:47:48 PM »
I currently have bay leaves and rosemary growing in my yard, and I had thyme and parsley earlier this year. 

If you live in a temperate climate, herbs are easy.  We might have to sacrifice saffron and cinnamon if the US gets cut off from global trade, but we can take care of the herbs.

Saffron?  That costs about a 1/4 of what gold costs.

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 03:51:53 PM »

My mom turned me on to rosemary a few years ago. I have a small plant too, and since I eat alot of grilled chicken a little bit finely cut ond rubbed on makes a world of difference. And it smells great.
I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 04:00:47 PM »
I wonder how well food and spice dryers are selling these days.  Just curious.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

• Oh snap!
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 04:12:45 PM »

I get all my spices at the dollar store now.  Some times they sell certain ones for 2 for $1.  I'd rather spend $1 over the $6 spice in the grocery store.

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 04:17:29 PM »
Don't tell (Gurn) prices are going up cause he thinks inflation is it 2%. More is on the way. Helicopter Ben will see to it.  :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 04:32:01 PM »

Thanks for the reminder.  I need to borrow my boyfriend's dehydrator.  The herbs in my garden I am going to harvest and dry.  I have mint, basil and dill in the sunroom, and it is ok.  CR, I am so jealous of your bay.  I don't think our environment is suited for them. 

Been hitting the Aldi, when they have their flour and sugar sale.  Got 5 lbs of all-purpose flour for 0.49 and 5 lbs of sugar for 0.39.  Freezers are chock full at the moment,
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 05:02:18 PM »
I get all my spices at the dollar store now.  Some times they sell certain ones for 2 for $1.  I'd rather spend $1 over the $6 spice in the grocery store.

I found some of those huge things of garlic and onion powder/salt and peppercorns at Wally World way cheap.  Of course I'll "splurge" on some stuff, but for the basic salt/pepper/garlic/onion stuff, meh.

Offline true_blood

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 07:38:43 PM »
Don't tell (Gurn) prices are going up cause he thinks inflation is it 2%. More is on the way. Helicopter Ben will see to it.  :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
The truth.
Corn is going higher and higher and corn is in/a by-product of 4,000 items in the grocery store. Gas prices are going up. Cotton is up as well.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 09:35:06 PM »
The truth.
Corn is going higher and higher and corn is in/a by-product of 4,000 items in the grocery store. Gas prices are going up. Cotton is up as well.

Yup. I bought any necessary clothing items a few months ago. It is just gonna get worse.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 05:21:56 AM »
I can't believe how much the prices have shot up - even on base at the Commissary it is expensive.  With three young sons I hit that store 2-3 a week because I always ran out of something, and am just shaking my head at how much it comes to at the register.   

Add the price of gas to that and ouch already.  Of course none of this is front page material on the main news rags -- GWB still in office the gas alone would lead every newscast ad nauseum.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2010, 06:11:41 AM »
Quote from: NHSparky link=topic=52765.msg 589439#msg 589439 date=1292623247
I just got a dehydrator and a grain mill. I am going to the health food store today and get some wheat berries and test the mill to see if I can be successful making bread. If I am I will have 5 gal buckets full of wheat, corn and millet next week! I have 1/4 angus beef, a pig and all the chickens I can fit in my 2 freezers all from the local farmer I know. The animals are born on the farm and fed from the farm. No pesticides and hormones and steroids just like it was 150 years ago. My chickens are giving me 6 eggs a day and I am about to breed my 3 rabbits so let it rain!
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2010, 07:30:54 AM »
I just got a dehydrator and a grain mill. I am going to the health food store today and get some wheat berries and test the mill to see if I can be successful making bread. If I am I will have 5 gal buckets full of wheat, corn and millet next week! I have 1/4 angus beef, a pig and all the chickens I can fit in my 2 freezers all from the local farmer I know. The animals are born on the farm and fed from the farm. No pesticides and hormones and steroids just like it was 150 years ago. My chickens are giving me 6 eggs a day and I am about to breed my 3 rabbits so let it rain!

Fantastic Cats, but one has to think about brown or black out of electricity to keep the freezers cold.  How long can a generater run to keep the freezers going and then the need to find gas to power then if the emergency lasts 3-4 weeks.

We had one hell of an ice storm not that far up north 2 years ago, people were without electricity for 5-6 WEEKS. Sub zero temperatures and the main focus was on staying warm not to save the food in the freezer.     When the freezers went down, the people ate the defrosting meats and vegetables but the focus was on staying warm.

There were many shelters set up for people but none for pets or barnyard animals.  People were bringing sheep, goats, even cows and horses into their homes to save their lives. For the pet owners there was no way they would leave their dogs and cats to freeze or starve to death while they the owners sat for 2-3 weeks in a shelter.

Sad that some with children stayed at home with their animals and hoped for the best.  but, even with the police going door to door begging people to leave, most stayed.

They cooked on outside grills beans and rice or potatoes.  They could not bake bread but they could make dumplings to add to the soup pot. 

There animals had enough stored of food for a few weeks, the only problem was the horrendous  problem of cleaning up the rooms when the temperature rose to the point they could go back in the barn, the chicken coop or what ever.

Some did die granted, those who used brickets in the fireplace, those that just gave up, called the dogs and cats climbed into bed and all froze to death.

Most survived some how.

In a really bad time be it nature or problems of society, the last thing I would do would be to depend on anythin man made, be it a freezer for food or an oil furnace.  Alternate ways of survival are needed here.

I have a 50 gallon trash tub full of dried catfood, this will last a few years.  If the SHTF in the winter, worse comes to worse we can eat that stuff and survive.     Remember cats cannot live on dog food but dogs and humans can survive on cat food.

Sparky and others in this area must remember the run on supermarks when any kind of storm is headed our way. We can tell they Yankees from the transplants just bu checking out their baskets of food.

Transplants will have milk, meat bread and frozen meals in their baskets.

Yankees will have toilet paper and a dozen cans of Chief Boy products.  They will invade the tuna section for packaged or canned fish. They will grab flour or Bisquick for the making of dumplings to go in the cans of Campbel soup, condensed or ready to eat.  a big bag of pet food, Cans of baked beans, jars of peanut butter and jelly, and a few boxes of Salteens.

Then one sees the younger people lugging out case after case of beer.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2010, 08:26:28 AM »
I only keep the freezer full in the winter why didn't they just put the freezers outside? The ice house a few miles down the road sells dry ice and my pond is frozen. I have a generator and 20 gals that I figure will just be started to get water out the well, ya know flust the toilet. I have 8 cords of wood that I heat with. and if all else fails I have 4 cases of mres and a lifetime of ammo. I don't go anywhere without my MSR water filters. I have cases of candles and lantrens with enough fuel to last months and a ton of other surival gear that I could list forever. Heck I can even make hot water with the woodstove. funny you should mention toilet paper I have a closet full. I was a boy scout ya know! I look forward to it! No worries.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 08:42:20 AM by catsmtrods »
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

• Oh snap!
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2010, 09:41:07 AM »
Vesta - You can purchase solar powered generators.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2010, 10:14:05 AM »
Vesta - You can purchase solar powered generators.

They're great when the power goes out at night.