Author Topic: Soda Tax Weighed to Pay for Health Care  (Read 6111 times)

Offline Peter3_1

Re: Soda Tax Weighed to Pay for Health Care
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2009, 04:58:39 PM »
It is legal to brew your own beer, make your own wine, make your own soda. I believe that there are STILL rootbeer and Sasparilla kits for sale. And there are kits available to carbonate water. Coke can still be bought as syrup. 500 GAL OF BEER, 500 GAL of wine and all the soda you can make. How much "tax" would THAT get the gvt?

They are idiots.  :thatsright:

Offline thundley4

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2009, 05:58:49 PM »
It is legal to brew your own beer, make your own wine, make your own soda. I believe that there are STILL rootbeer and Sasparilla kits for sale. And there are kits available to carbonate water. Coke can still be bought as syrup. 500 GAL OF BEER, 500 GAL of wine and all the soda you can make. How much "tax" would THAT get the gvt?

They are idiots.  :thatsright:

Quite a bit since they will be taxing all the ingredients for those home made products.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2009, 06:39:52 PM »
It's only a matter of time before they increase taxes on toilet paper...that will reach all income levels.

I'm a toilet paper snob...I will not use newspaper to wipe.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2009, 06:52:36 PM »
It's only a matter of time before they increase taxes on toilet paper...that will reach all income levels.

I'm a toilet paper snob...I will not use newspaper to wipe.

You could do like the DimRats, and use copies of the Constitution.  :fuelfire:

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2009, 07:08:15 PM »
You could do like the DimRats, and use copies of the Constitution.  :fuelfire:

:coffee:

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2009, 07:56:01 PM »
No, actually, they won't. As WATER is the bulk item, everything else can be ordered from out of state tax free as a State may not impose taxes in interstate commerce. ebay is your friend.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2009, 08:01:39 PM »
No, actually, they won't. As WATER is the bulk item, everything else can be ordered from out of state tax free as a State may not impose taxes in interstate commerce. ebay is your friend.

You may want to check on that tax situation of internet sales. That may soon be changing. 
States, Congress Eyeing Sales Taxes on Internet Purchases
Tuesday, June 02, 2009
By Susan Jones, Senior Editor

(CNSNews.com) – Budget-strapped states are eyeing a new way to get more of your money – through sales taxes on Internet purchases. It’s coming, says a taxpayer watchdog group.

A bill that would force Internet businesses of all sizes to collect sales taxes on goods and services purchased online could be introduced in Congress this week, warns the National Taxpayers Union. NTU opposes any effort to impose “oppressive taxation” on the Internet, and it says politicians of both parties should reject the attempt.

“As many states continue to face record budget shortfalls, it is not surprising that they have turned to taxing online commerce in a desperate attempt to pay for their profligate spending,” NTU said in a news release.

“State and local government officials are leaning hard on Members of Congress to pass the bill to provide them new avenues into taxpayer wallets. They are particularly focusing on convincing Republicans to join the effort, in the hopes that bipartisan support of the tax hike will improve its prospects.”
Link

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2009, 11:49:36 PM »
:coffee:

I'll use a shopper before I use a liberal newspaper

Offline Sam Adams

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2009, 12:46:33 AM »

That is not an obstacle for the federal government.

Offline Peter3_1

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2009, 12:24:30 PM »
Fight government stupidity. Primary your congressperson, primary your senator, no matter your party! Replace them as you can. NO MORE Congress for life. No more Schumers, Pelosis, Byrds, Murthas etc etc..

Make the pork they brag about an IMPETEMENT to re-election rather than a step up! These statists must GO!

Offline Lacarnut

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2009, 04:34:44 PM »
You may want to check on that tax situation of internet sales. That may soon be changing.   Link

States have tried to tax interstate commerce for many years. The Supreme Court has shot down almost all of those cases that have made it to high court. Unless a company has nexus in that state, sales between states are not taxable due to the commerce clause.