Author Topic: Opening Bell/Stock Market 11/05/08  (Read 8599 times)

Offline Jim

Re: Opening Bell/Stock Market 11/05/08
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2008, 09:58:39 AM »
The street would love to hear it but I doubt they'll believe it. 

And imagine what the press would do to him over that...

The boy can't win, no matter what he does.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2008, 09:59:54 AM »
The street would love to hear it but I doubt they'll believe it. 

And imagine what the press would do to him over that...

The boy can't win, no matter what he does.

you doubt the veracity of The One? :???:

:-)

Offline Jim

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2008, 10:02:40 AM »
you doubt the veracity of The One? :???:

:-)

he knows left telepromptor, right telepromptor...

if he'll throw his granny under the bus, he'll do anything, say anything.  He's LBJ without the charm or chops.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2008, 10:30:05 AM »
I tend to think most traders had already discounted the election and concluded Obama was taking it one or two weeks in advance.  The fact that it has been tanking for two days now indicates that the sllight recovery it was seeing the week before the election may have been some of them thinking McCain was going to pull it out after all, but now the outlook for business is certain (and worst case).
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2008, 10:38:43 AM »
Well, I am still buying stocks that are getting beaten down...I figure Wall Street is on sale, so I'm shopping.  I was out of the market for many years, thank God..and I'm getting IN now.  Libs will be out soon enough and I have lots of time.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2008, 11:43:34 AM »
For the record on this thread:

Il Duce might have received 64 million votes, but the 57 million who didn't vote for him hold 85%+ of the wealth.  In a fight between 64 million verses 85%+ of the wealth, the money will always win.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Jim

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2008, 11:48:38 AM »
For the record on this thread:

Il Duce might have received 64 million votes, but the 57 million who didn't vote for him hold 85%+ of the wealth.  In a fight between 64 million verses 85%+ of the wealth, the money will always win.

the wealthy will make money no matter what.  its the little investor that gets hammered.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2008, 12:13:13 PM »

the wealthy will make money no matter what.  its the little investor that gets hammered.

going after the wealthy is impossible, and saying that it is a goal is ultimately dishonest.  there has never been a piece of tax legislation written that didn't have loopholes written into it (many of them for specific individuals) that you could drive a truck through.  the wealthy have the means to take maximum advantage of those loopholes.

raising taxes on those making over $(fill in the blank) harm small businesses.  ah, but The BarackStar! will give you a tax credit for this, and an SBA loan for that, and a government incentive for something else, and a rebate for yet another thing . . .  hey, wouldn't it be easier, cheaper, fairer, and much less insane to just not confiscate their income in the first place?

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2008, 12:49:55 PM »
Obviously the money holders wish to hold onto their money before The (Impeachable) One gets his grubby little mitts on it.

But Obama preaches "trickle-up" economics (perhaps pissing-up-a-rope economics would be more accurate). All he needs now is to out that into practice and have the lower class suddenly become rich and voila! instant market recovery.

According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Jim

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2008, 12:58:51 PM »
going after the wealthy is impossible, and saying that it is a goal is ultimately dishonest.  there has never been a piece of tax legislation written that didn't have loopholes written into it (many of them for specific individuals) that you could drive a truck through.  the wealthy have the means to take maximum advantage of those loopholes.

raising taxes on those making over $(fill in the blank) harm small businesses.  ah, but The BarackStar! will give you a tax credit for this, and an SBA loan for that, and a government incentive for something else, and a rebate for yet another thing . . .  hey, wouldn't it be easier, cheaper, fairer, and much less insane to just not confiscate their income in the first place?

how can you empire build doig it that way ?   ::)

Offline Tnafbrat

• Mama D, Evil Queen and Resident Raghead
  • Don't make me get my flying monkeys
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2008, 01:03:17 PM »

how can you empire build doig it that way ?   ::)

You have someone else do it for you  :uhsure:
Never argue with idiots.  They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Buy me stuff and I'll be nicer!

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2008, 01:13:08 PM »

Oh sure, under normal circumstances if you have money you can make money.  But why invest in a large corp when you've got a prez that might try and nationalize the particular industry of which that corp participates?  Or you've got someone who wants the gov't to control everyone's 401K?  The wealthy know this, and that's why they're backing out of the market.

Il Duce wants the wealthy and other investors/business owners to pay more in taxes to fund his Marxist agenda.  If the money doesn't play his game, then he either loses or he tries to find another way to confiscate wealth.  Should that happen, the facade completely falls off and it becomes obvious to more of those who might still be in denial that he's a commie.  Now it becomes a matter if enough people care.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Jim

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2008, 02:34:04 PM »
Oh sure, under normal circumstances if you have money you can make money.  But why invest in a large corp when you've got a prez that might try and nationalize the particular industry of which that corp participates?  Or you've got someone who wants the gov't to control everyone's 401K?  The wealthy know this, and that's why they're backing out of the market.

Il Duce wants the wealthy and other investors/business owners to pay more in taxes to fund his Marxist agenda.  If the money doesn't play his game, then he either loses or he tries to find another way to confiscate wealth.  Should that happen, the facade completely falls off and it becomes obvious to more of those who might still be in denial that he's a commie.  Now it becomes a matter if enough people care.

if he failes to deliver the tax cuts/welfare redistribution, he's toast.

we all know that he's NOT going to get the revenue he seeks from nailing the rich (he's the only rich guy who does not know this) so he has no choice but to hit the rest ala Clinton.  He'll try to say that 'oh it was SO much worse than I thought after seeing the REAL WHITE HOUSE data' but that just won't fly.

he's screwed and he hasn't even started.

but we all saw that coming I'm sure.