Author Topic: Comic book readers only  (Read 10880 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Comic book readers only
« on: April 12, 2013, 10:12:06 PM »
I'm currently working on some--THING and in that thing I have offered an opinion as to why I think the comic book industry is a mere shadow of its former self:

First, the comic reading public is all but emotionally exhausted. In the 1980’s comic were in their hey-day. Titles such as the X-Men, Fantastic 4 and Teen Titans carried a popularity that has not been matched since. Over the years comic book and graphic novel storytelling has grown darker. The lines between heroes and villains seems indistinguishable. In other words: there’s no one to root for.

There’s no point in cheering a hero when the hero is just as psychotic as the villain he’s just vanquished. Batman and Wolverine may get away with it but they are the exceptions that prove the rule. They are popular because they were a contrast to the other heroes they fought beside and they did not seek darkness. While Batman and Wolverine are arguably more potent than many of their counterparts they are also seeking to fight their darker inner natures to gain more of the light that comes so easily to others. If they did not strive to overcome these burdens they would not present the dramatic vehicles that make them the popular figures they have become. Contrast this with the abject lack of sympathy for The Comedian from The Watchmen. Also consider how much an icon such as Superman was diminished once he lost his sense of idealism. Stand a broody Superman next to a broody Batman and both of them lose their essential natures.

I would also note the "brighter" tone of the Iron Man, Thor, Capt. America and Avengers movies and how they triumphed in receipts. The Spider Man movies directed by Sam Raimi were blockbuster smashes but the reboot "Amazing Spider Man" was darker and went almost instantly to DVD without much fanfare.

Discuss.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
Re: Comic book readers only
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 10:44:07 PM »
I have to agree. I haven't read comics in some years but was there in the heyday.

I like the Christopher Nolan Batman movies but the new Spider-man, I don't remember it.

I heard in the early 2000's Bane broke Batman's back and Batman was replaced by some demon and fans went nuts until they had to bring Bruce Wayne back as Batman.

I'd like to find those books and read them just to see what they were all about.

But yeah, X-Men and the whole late-70s early 80s Jean Gray saga was awesome.

I also liked when Marvel launched New Universe titles like DP7 and Kickers. Kind of strange titles but I stuck in for 8-10 issues before my comic reading started to peter out.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline ColonelCarrots

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 10:46:48 PM »
I think that when it comes to superheros people want to see them in a lighter sense. With the exception of Batman and Wolverine. Superheroes are meant to stand out and shine, but even then some comics had their dark moments. Like when Spider-man accidentally kills his girlfriend in one issue. I think some people want darkness just not all the time.

The Amazing Spider-man was great. I felt it kept to the original comics a lot better than Sam Raimi's Spider-man. I thought the actor was great at being a sarcastic teen, Gwen Stacy was his girlfriend and not Mary Jane, and he had to create his webshooter.

Also Superman sucks either way. He's OP.

Though I tend to like the darker stuff.

Also Captain America was great, and so was Thor.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 09:24:16 PM »
HA!

Why do Marvel movies do well while every DC movie, except for the Batman series, bombs?  Actually, let's be more specific -- why do the Marvel-produced Marvel films work pretty well where the DC movies and the non-Marvel-produced Marvel movies (like the latest disaster, the Amazing Spider-Man) bomb?

There are a lot of reasons -- the DC movies have been crap generally -- but one difference is that the Marvel-produced Marvel movies don't run away from the source material.  They change it here and there, but they include some of the dumb bits from the comics (like Tony Stark's electromagnetic-shrapnel repelling thingy) and Loki's Ginormous Helmet Horns.

Everytime I see a non-Marvel-produced superhero movie, they're far more interested in "shaking things up" and "giving us a new spin on the character" and running away from the core intellectual property itself than actually exploiting that property.

Superman is not a dark and broody hero. He's just not.
  But the Snyder film makes him that.  Apparently there are now dark mountains looming over the cornfields of Smallville, Kansas, too.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 09:41:17 PM »
I've been watching some of the animated super hero movies on Netflix. The DC ones tend to be better than the Marvel ones I've watched.

I really liked Superman vs. The Elite which stayed true to Superman while bringing him into the modern world.

Justice League Doom was interesting and I could see something coming from that basic story outline.

Batman Under the Red Hood was very good.

The two Avengers movies seem to have all the right moves but the it just doesn't gel. Doctor Strange is probably the best Marvel movie I have watched but it ends just as the character starts to get interesting.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey