Author Topic: Old fly rod  (Read 567013 times)

Offline Dblhaul

Re: Old fly rod
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 10:49:45 PM »
I was gonna mention banty rods, but figured you had gone thru all the work of restoring the whole thing it might be a insult!

Most trout rods of that era were 6wts, you might want to try one on it!

Offline Dacabeti

• Observer of the Obvious
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 09:24:42 AM »
I have an old Bamboo fly rod (at least I think its old) with a real that was left in my fathers stuff when he passed (he mentioned it came from his father years before). It's in a bamboo case. I have no idea what its shape is in as I put it away and have not taken it out. The real looks like a side mounted Zebco 202 but much thinner (if that makes sense). It does not look like a typical open fly real.

If I post some pics could I get an idea about the combo? I'm curious about what it is. My father was known to tell a tale or 2 so it may have just been something he picked up at Walmart.
My Youngest Son's Senior Year Wrestling Highlights

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." — Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 09:30:53 AM »
I was gonna mention banty rods, but figured you had gone thru all the work of restoring the whole thing it might be a insult!

Most trout rods of that era were 6wts, you might want to try one on it!

The other rod is the same ferrule size. Last night I found the butt section from a Sage LL 3/4 wt. I had built around 1990. The tip section is broken, and not repairable. I cut off the rod at the top of the handle. I then removed the ferrule and sanded the mid section of the bamboo rod (the one I just bought) to fit down inside the handle, it's a damn stiff rod,(calling Gina  :panic:) but it'll make for an interesting "Banty".
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 09:35:13 AM »
I have an old Bamboo fly rod (at least I think its old) with a real that was left in my fathers stuff when he passed (he mentioned it came from his father years before). It's in a bamboo case. I have no idea what its shape is in as I put it away and have not taken it out. The real looks like a side mounted Zebco 202 but much thinner (if that makes sense). It does not look like a typical open fly real.

If I post some pics could I get an idea about the combo? I'm curious about what it is. My father was known to tell a tale or 2 so it may have just been something he picked up at Walmart.

Post some pics of it! Especially if there are any name/numbers on it.

The reel is an "automatic", it's spring loaded so it will retrieve the line.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline Dacabeti

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 11:47:09 AM »

Post some pics of it! Especially if there are any name/numbers on it.

The reel is an "automatic", it's spring loaded so it will retrieve the line.

I will, thanks

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." — Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2013, 10:25:47 PM »

Do post pictures!  Also include any writing on the rod.

Offline Dacabeti

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2013, 11:41:25 PM »
The Real is a Johnson model 40 Pat Pend. I looked it up and it shows as around $20 so it's nothing special.

The case is balsa wood. There is 1 base, 2 middle sections and 2 end pieces. Forgive my terminology if it is incorrect. The only writing is NFT near the handle (grip)

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2013, 12:29:09 AM »
That is a spin cast reel I think not a fly reel. The rod an case are most likely Japanese. A lot of those were imported after WW2. The 2 mid sections are interesting? Not worth much me thinks.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Dacabeti

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2013, 09:34:17 AM »
That is a spin cast reel I think not a fly reel. The rod an case are most likely Japanese. A lot of those were imported after WW2. The 2 mid sections are interesting? Not worth much me thinks.

My Grandfather was in Japan when the treaty was signed at the end of WWII. He was stationed there for about 5 years after so that may be where he got it. While it might not have a high monetary value it does have some sentimental value. I have a better idea of where it came from so that is nice. I wonder why he kept the rod and real together?

Thank you.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2013, 09:57:11 AM »
My Grandfather was in Japan when the treaty was signed at the end of WWII. He was stationed there for about 5 years after so that may be where he got it. While it might not have a high monetary value it does have some sentimental value. I have a better idea of where it came from so that is nice. I wonder why he kept the rod and real together?

Thank you.

He may have just stored them together. The rod may actually "fish" decently, who knows?

TY for sharing.     :cheersmate:

Offline Dacabeti

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2013, 04:51:14 PM »
He may have just stored them together. The rod may actually "fish" decently, who knows?

TY for sharing.     :cheersmate:
Thank you guys. I didn't care about the monetary value. I was wondering about its history. My grandfather was not exactly a talkative guy. So it's nice to know he kept something for years. I even found an old train I had. He took the locomotive apart, cleaned it, put it back together, mounted it and painted it like Casey's 009 Engine. It shows me he had a little sentiment in him.

Knowing he brought it back from Japan gives it value to me. He was a Marine Raider during WWII. The only time I ever got anything out of him was one time when I was on leave he mentioned Makin Island.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2013, 09:16:22 PM »
Dac,
 The wood box is typical of post WWII Japanese rods. It was one of the industries started to get their country going after the war. To think it went from bamboo rods to electronics and cars (all of which the united states pionered).
 The rod you have I would consider a wall hanger. Everytime you look at it it will bring your Grandfather back to mind!

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2013, 02:16:48 PM »
I'm working on the Heddon #14, stripped, varnished, trying to figure out if I want to invest in an Agate stripper guide.......

One question, is there a way to determine the wt? I used the second and tip sections to make it into a 6 1/2 footer but it's really got some backbone to it. It ain't no Parabolic.......

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2013, 04:09:04 PM »
There is this http://www.common-cents.info/CCS_basic_Layout_1.pdf but I prefer to just cast it with different wt lines and see what works.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2013, 10:10:52 AM »
I took the Heddon #13 out Saturday and fished the NFF (North Fork Feather River) Didn't get a single hit, but it was very interesting casting/fishing a bamboo rod for the first time. The timing was sure different.......

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2013, 09:28:27 PM »
Hi Wine, I have a Heddon 14 in mint condition that I have fished a few times, a very slow rod. It the time they were sold they were marketed as a "lake" rod, what ever that means! As I understood it they were a good trolling fly rod that had very smooth action with a fish on.

Making a banty out of it will speed it up a bit, but I havent found too many bantys that dont respond to a 6wt line very well.

IE: Feather river, did you check water temps? Drys typ start coming off when it reaches 40-42d (H2O temp).  Justa a FYI, most trout waters have stonefly nymphs in them year round, at least out here in the west.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2013, 10:13:27 AM »
Hi Wine, I have a Heddon 14 in mint condition that I have fished a few times, a very slow rod. It the time they were sold they were marketed as a "lake" rod, what ever that means! As I understood it they were a good trolling fly rod that had very smooth action with a fish on.

Making a banty out of it will speed it up a bit, but I havent found too many bantys that dont respond to a 6wt line very well.

IE: Feather river, did you check water temps? Drys typ start coming off when it reaches 40-42d (H2O temp).  Justa a FYI, most trout waters have stonefly nymphs in them year round, at least out here in the west.

:-)

I used a bead head #14 similar to this (my own design though):

and some stone flies (Golden). I could see a few fish taking a swipe at the flies, but no takes. The river is not known for dries, but huge populations of stone flies. At those time I use an AP Black Stone and knock the crap out of them. A Feldermaus will have the same effect. I've tried to fish this river many times in the past (28 years) during winter, but the damn fish are always sleeping. I think they just know that nothings going on. Usually it'll "wake up" around mid/late May or so.

After an hour of fishing the Heddon, I got the timing right so it became second nature to cast it. Yup, it's a "slow" rod, but does not require allot of effort for longer casts. Some of the pools were slightly out of range for my 4wt Sage, but with this rod, not a problem.

I have an eye on a 8 1/2' SB 323 "project rod" that's a "true" 5wt. I'll see if it's available next month. I think it would be a great rod to fish this river with.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2013, 10:01:46 AM »
I pulled the trigger ($75) on a SB 346 8 1/2 footer. "True" 5 wt. It's in "good" shape, but will need some resto. Should be fun.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2013, 11:16:00 PM »
I pulled the trigger ($75) on a SB 346 8 1/2 footer. "True" 5 wt. It's in "good" shape, but will need some resto. Should be fun.

Sounds great! South Bends were typicaly great rods!

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2013, 04:20:24 AM »
Keep it up and you will will be buying lathes and dip tanks and if your not careful you'll end up with a mess like this!

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2013, 04:25:47 AM »
See the power cord coming down from the ceiling in the middle photo? That the heater for the dip tube that is enclosed in an anti static closet installed in my wives walk in closet in our bedroom above! This hobby can be dangerous!

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2013, 09:41:38 AM »
Keep it up and you will will be buying lathes and dip tanks and if your not careful you'll end up with a mess like this!

Ohhhhhh, shiny objects............ :hyper:

See the power cord coming down from the ceiling in the middle photo? That the heater for the dip tube that is enclosed in an anti static closet installed in my wives walk in closet in our bedroom above! This hobby can be dangerous!

My wife would kill me..

You do resto work?

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2013, 03:25:24 PM »
Just for myself. I don't touch any high end antiques.

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2013, 10:14:01 AM »
The SB is on it's way. I think it'll need just a re-wrap here and there, but I'll have to figure out how to "age" the white/black silk to match. Plus I have to find a single bobbin of the stuff..........

Have you guys used the "Sylk" lines? I'm looking at the 444 Courtland. I don't want to re-do the rod with modern guides.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2013, 10:08:48 PM »
The Sylk lines I have had were all ok, tips will sink if you dont keep it cleaned and treated.