Author Topic: Stairs  (Read 31976 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Re: Stairs
« Reply #200 on: February 11, 2013, 05:44:28 PM »
Hmmmm.

I admire your enthusiasm.

That could either be your stuff looks like shit but here is a little pat for trying or well that's all I can think it means.  :p

Offline Undies

« Reply #201 on: February 11, 2013, 05:49:17 PM »
That could either be your stuff looks like shit but here is a little pat for trying or well that's all I can think it means.  :p

My favorite:  "If that's what you were going for, it sure turned out nice."

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #202 on: February 11, 2013, 06:19:22 PM »
Love it! I would totally move in!!!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Undies

« Reply #203 on: February 11, 2013, 06:32:59 PM »
So we went to this cool place called REVIVAL. It's a place tht takes junk and makes it super cool (if you are into that sort of thing, whitch I am). Here is a link: LINK

We bought a little something.  :-)

It's a super old ratty ladder with super old boards used as shelves. Don't look at the stuff sitting on it, I just sat this stuff from around the room on it. I'm going to get a smaller super cool lamp to put on it and decorate it and show you all later.

The chair will be farther away from the ladder/shelf deal once my husband builds the square or round coffee table and we can move the chair over.

I also got this.

And we hung it at the end of the stairs (I forgot to take a picture of it head on).

Hung my clock I've had laying around for a long time in the hallway.

You do good work..  It all looks so very nice. 

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #204 on: February 11, 2013, 08:07:36 PM »
I had this bell jar (got it super cheap awhile ago at Hobby Lobby). Bought these three birds today at Hobby Lobby for $3.50 each. Looks way more expensive.

I have seen this same thing (what ever its called) at pottery barn and restoration hardware before for much more than I paid for it at Hobby Lobby 1/2 off.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #205 on: February 11, 2013, 09:01:28 PM »
I think I need to take the birdhouse off and put something else in its place. I have an old (really really old) birdcage that might look good there.

I really want to paint this clock with milk paint. My husband says yes, my mom says NOOOOOO,

I used to have real dried hydrangias from my brothers wedding. They were about the same color, maybe a little lighter. I think I'm going to get some real hydrangia and let them dry. We had a hydrangia bush when we lived in CA. I used to cut several off the bush a week and put them in a vase. So pretty. I bought the little sign today for about $2.50.

I also got these metal letters 50% off today. I may put them on the shelf in the study.

This picture is an old window with a lithograph stuck on the back. They had a lot of cool collages and stuff on old windows at REVIVAL. I'm going to try one myself.

I also got these at Hobby Lobby today for $30 a piece. I was going to get just one but then thought I could hang the pair next to each other in the hallway down to our bedroom. They are about 24x36. I really like what they say.

I think we need some real art in this house. I only have two real "art" pictures. One is an original that my husbands cousin painted, we paid $1300 for it and my father in law gave me a signed painting he bought in the early 70's (that i have always loved) of a hippie chick. I can't remember the name of the picture or the artist but its worth some bucks. It's in a really nice frame too.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #206 on: February 11, 2013, 09:26:59 PM »

No, I wouldn't say it looks like shit. But I do think the area in front of the stairs looks too busy. With the wainscoting, especially.
A long, low table is a fine idea, but to my eye the ladder is simply too tall.

I'm not a real fan of antiques like that anyway. You and your husband went to extreme lengths to put together a very spiffy, well-apportioned and painted area and the ladder? Well, it doesn't work for me.

But hey, it's your house and if you're happy with it, that's all that counts.  :cheersmate:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #207 on: February 11, 2013, 09:54:59 PM »
No, I wouldn't say it looks like shit. But I do think the area in front of the stairs looks too busy. With the wainscoting, especially.
A long, low table is a fine idea, but to my eye the ladder is simply too tall.

I'm not a real fan of antiques like that anyway. You and your husband went to extreme lengths to put together a very spiffy, well-apportioned and painted area and the ladder? Well, it doesn't work for me.

But hey, it's your house and if you're happy with it, that's all that counts.  :cheersmate:

It doesn't cover up the wainscoting. This room is HUGE. The ceilings are well over 20' (I think they are 24'). It needs huge furniture to make it look proportional.  We thought bout a narrow long table and held a bench we had up to the level a table would be, it was lost in the massiveness of the room.

I do understand that my style is not most people's style. I love old things (even fake old things), I like to be surrounded by them. Not antiques you can't touch that also look like they have never been used, but the crap that a lot of people would throw away.  I like to take it and make "art" (subjective as it may be) out of it.

I would call my style extremely relaxed and eclectic. Don't worry about offending me, if you think something is ugly and stupid looking, tell me. Wait until you see our plans for above the windows. We have two rows of windows (all windows have plantation shutters) and there is about 4 1/2' of space between the lower and upper windows. My husband is going to build a shelf and we are going to put the stuff you don't like on it.  It's going to be marvelously tacky, like a well appointed Chili's.  :-)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #208 on: February 12, 2013, 07:50:45 AM »
Trust me, BEG, I have no problem being direct. If I thought it looks like shit, I'd say so.

But I realize that I'm not viewing the area in the same way you are. I'm looking at photos whereas you're looking at the real deal. It makes a difference.

The thing I like about Applebee's and Chilis and all the tacky crap they nail on the wall is that it's permanently welded to the wall. People can't steal that tacky crap.

The little blessings in life are vewy important.  :-)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #209 on: February 12, 2013, 08:18:31 AM »
They have entire stores dedicated to tacky crap to hang on walls, Hobby Lobby being one of them.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #210 on: February 12, 2013, 09:49:27 AM »
I see the hording is coming along well.

:tongue:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #211 on: February 12, 2013, 11:00:50 AM »
I see the hording is coming along well.

:tongue:

:rotf:

I think I've seen this guy - fuzzy fredd - lurking near the Austin, TX area....

:whistling:

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #212 on: February 12, 2013, 02:23:21 PM »
I should BS you all or making fun of me.  :rotf:

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #213 on: February 12, 2013, 02:49:46 PM »
I found an old mirror that I have had forever in the garage. I cleaned it up and put it under the bell jar.

I think I'm going to display cards I make that I don't end up sending to people on this shelf. I can display them as well on the shelves my husband built in the study. This was my daughters birthday card I made a couple of weeks ago.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #214 on: February 12, 2013, 03:42:26 PM »
Uh...BEG?

Are those nails on the right side of that shelf? Are they poking through the other side? Might wanna take 'em out -- tetanus is a real concern, especially when reflected by a mirror resurrected from an early death.   :lmao:

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #215 on: February 12, 2013, 03:56:58 PM »
Uh...BEG?

Are those nails on the right side of that shelf? Are they poking through the other side? Might wanna take 'em out -- tetanus is a real concern, especially when reflected by a mirror resurrected from an early death.   :lmao:

You are a rabble rouser!
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #216 on: February 12, 2013, 04:03:58 PM »
Uh...BEG?

Then don't touch it, I'm a rebel...I live on the edge.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #217 on: February 12, 2013, 04:06:18 PM »
Then don't touch it, I'm a rebel...I live on the edge.

:-*

Don't fall off! It's a long way to the floor!  :-)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #218 on: February 12, 2013, 05:24:53 PM »
A well appointed Chili's OMG!! :rofl:

BEG I love your style!

When i get around to it...I will post some pics of our house. We've done some minor redecorating and are about to paint.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #219 on: February 12, 2013, 05:34:11 PM »
OMG nails of death. Maybe that is what is wrong with my jaw, I have LOCK JAW!!!!!  :panic:

When I want to look really hickerbilly I'll flip one of the shelves over to reveal this "professionally" painted sign.

Another rusty nail.  :o

Rust, everywhere you look there is rust...

I'm starting to get the feeling this ladder/shelf thing has been used before.  :censored:

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #220 on: February 12, 2013, 05:42:16 PM »
OMG they nailed a leaf to one of the boards. There is probably bird poop on it somewhere too. I think for sure this thing has been used before.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #221 on: February 12, 2013, 06:47:15 PM »
Moved stuff around.

Once we make our coffee table we will be able to move that chair in the right position. The current coffee table is our old one and belongs upstairs with our old furniture. It is 62" long. We want about 3-4' square or round coffee table.  We are always hitting our shins on the corner of the table.

I think I'm going to get my son's vintage cameras and put a few on the shelves.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #222 on: February 12, 2013, 07:01:23 PM »
A well appointed Chili's OMG!! :rofl:

BEG I love your style!

When i get around to it...I will post some pics of our house. We've done some minor redecorating and are about to paint.

Please do, I would love to see it. Taking pictures of my stuff lets me take a different look at how I have it arranged.  I am constantly rearranging things, nothing is ever "finished", I think I'm OCD.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #223 on: February 12, 2013, 08:17:26 PM »
Aside from freaking out about possible tetanus infection  :whatever: I like that you balanced the quilts/blankets on the bottom shelf.  Before with the quilts and birdhouse, it wasn't balanced from a color perspective.   :-)

I agonize over things like that.  I decided to do a all white/black/brown living room.  I have pale blue walls, so everything else needs to be one of those colors.  It is a friggen struggle, but it will be so worth it.  SO moved in, and now we have to combine stuff.  He had some ink sketches, and I did, so we combined them on the wall.  Then, I have a white clay pipe from Williamsburg and some shells that I will put in shadow boxes to give texture. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Undies

« Reply #224 on: February 12, 2013, 08:26:55 PM »
Where's the Dale Evans Collection CD rack, the "antique" Coca-Cola memorabilia, the jars of pickled stuff, and the peanut brittle -- and is it too late to order the hashbrown casserole?  :p