Author Topic: primitives discuss ripe cucumbers  (Read 475 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss ripe cucumbers
« on: September 04, 2014, 07:27:33 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/11595486

Oh my.

lululu (276 posts)    Sat Aug 30, 2014, 01:27 AM

ripe cucumbers, anyone ever eat those?

I grew cucumbers in containers this year, and thought it was a fail. However, it turns out some were hiding, and long enough to get ripe, i.e. giant and yellow.

As far as I can tell from the web, these are not poisonous but may be bitter or something. Has anyone ever eaten these and/or made them into something edible?

Purveyor (20,267 posts)    Sat Aug 30, 2014, 01:48 AM

1. Unless they are pickled, I don't touch a cucumber. Will 'burp' those suckers

for hours.

Love pickles though, especially kosher.

LiberalAndProud (10,811 posts)    Sat Aug 30, 2014, 02:40 AM

2. Google 'big yellow cucumber recipes'

Looks like pickles for you, lululu.

lululu (276 posts)    Sat Aug 30, 2014, 06:17 AM

3. like red spiced apple rings

I hope so, I love those red spiced apple rings and they don't seem to be sold in this part of the country.

http://www.thetreeofliberty.com/vb/showthread.php?158848-Great-recipe-for-Cucumbers-that-turn-yellow-and-big

Cucumber Spice Rings (can't tell they are not spiced apple rings)

2 gal. yellow cucumbers (doesn't matter how big they are)
2 cups pickling lime
3 cups cider vinegar
1 tsp Alum
1 bottle Red Food coloring
10 cups sugar
8 sticks cinnamon
2 packages (small) Red Hot Candy

Peel cukes and cut in half crosswise (or smaller sections if they are really large). Remove seeds with serrated spoon from each end then cut crosswise to resemble apple rings. Approx 1/4 inch thick.

Soak for 24 hours in 2 cups pickling lime and water to cover in crock or plastic bucket. Then drain and rinse.

Then simmer 1 1/2 hours in 1 cup vinegar, 1 tsp alum and 1 small bottle of red food coloring and water to cover. Then drain and rinse well in cold water.

Mix 2 cups vinegar, 10 cups sugar and 8 cinnamon sticks ( can use 4 tps ground cinnamon instead). Bring mixture to a boil and add 2 pkgs of Red Hots and stir until dissolved. Return drained cukes to crock and pour mixture over and let stand overnight.

Drain syrup into large pot. Pack rings into sterile jars. Heat syrup to boiling and pour into jars. Seal and turn upside down for 5 minutes or water bath for 15 minutes.

Tip: after rings have been soaked in alum handle carefully as they are crisp and can break. Yum Yum

NJCher (16,994 posts)    Sat Aug 30, 2014, 09:32 AM

4. know what you mean

The very least you can get out of them is seeds. The best seeds come from very ripe fruit or vegetables.

You also might consider them for vegetable shakes. Mix withbuttermilk and an herb like dill, then refrigerate. Salt, pepper, voila, a nice, cold breakfast drink. (Cut seeds out first.)

femmocrat (17,273 posts)    Sat Aug 30, 2014, 10:02 AM

5. As Cher said, save the seeds for next year.

They are easy to save. Just rinse them well and let them dry on a coffee filter. I save them in pill bottles from the pharmacy.

They aren't poisonous, but are probably bitter. I wouldn't make pickles from them; the little ones are best for that, IMO. And you can compost them!
apres moi, le deluge

Offline catsmtrods

Re: primitives discuss ripe cucumbers
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 07:51:22 PM »
Wow! Those poor bastards are hungry! To me that's compost or chicken food.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 09:24:15 PM »
Oh, my god.

DUmmy NJCher's plan for overripe cucumbers:

NJCher (16,994 posts)   
Sat Aug 30, 2014, 09:32 AM

You also might consider them for vegetable shakes. Mix withbuttermilk and an herb like dill, then refrigerate. Salt, pepper, voila, a nice, cold breakfast drink. (Cut seeds out first.)

And it's for breakfast! My stomach got queasy just reading that.

This could be worse than her infamous puke stew.

Offline Dori

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 10:20:25 PM »
Oh, my god.

DUmmy NJCher's plan for overripe cucumbers:

And it's for breakfast! My stomach got queasy just reading that.

This. could be worse than her infamous puke stew.

Buttermilk and cucumbers for breakfast sounds so gross. 

She must not have any taste buds.

“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 10:55:18 PM »
Buttermilk, cucumber, and dill.  It sounds like some bastardized Greek gyro topping. 

I don't know if I'd want to eat an entire bowl of it.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 09:38:34 AM »
Buttermilk, cucumber, and dill.  It sounds like some bastardized Greek gyro topping. 

I don't know if I'd want to eat an entire bowl of it.

Start straining some yogurt -- it's tzatziki time!  :drool:
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail