Author Topic: primitives misdefine "political correctness"  (Read 794 times)

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
primitives misdefine "political correctness"
« on: July 18, 2014, 03:36:40 PM »
Quote from:
redqueen

“Political correctness”: decoding a vicious, pernicious code word

I always cringe when I hear the phrase “political correctness” being used. It’s a deeply coded phrase, and what it encodes is a stubborn, neoconservative cultural politics, a politics of entitlement and disrespect. And yet that politics is so deeply coded that one encounters the phrase being used by people who should know better; and maybe they will learn to avoid the phrase, if they take the time to get caught up on its context and complexity. If I never see it being taken out and waved around in public discourse again, it will be too soon.

More plain-spoken versions of this definition appear as ripostes to a diatribe against political correctness that was published (unsurprisingly enough) on the Richard Dawkins Foundation website:

“Political Correctness” – Buzzword used to express the absurd notion that the majority is being dominated by the minorities. (foundationist)

Political correctness is formalised good manners. It has been a benefit to society. Before it became influential it was common to see overt racism, sexism, homophobia, jokes about the disabled and so on. Fortunately a culture of respect for diversity developed and with it a culture of disrespect for rudeness – political correctness. … The term ‘political correctness’ can be used as a verbal weapon by those who want to do extreme things, things which would attack equality and human rights. When others complain, the response ‘that’s just political correctness’ is supposed to be a conversation stopper, because political correctness is supposed to be wrong. Complaining about political correctness is as absurd as complaining about good manners. The response ‘that’s just political correctness’ usually translates as ‘that’s just being polite’. (Zara)

In other words, “political correctness” is a nasty way to describe talking nicely, as though talking nicely is nasty. This rhetorical duplicity, coupled with the privileged, dominant positions from which pronouncements on political correctness typically come, has made the phrase “political correctness” slippery, robust, and insidious. The phrase thus provides a present-day example of “political speech and writing” as “the defense of the indefensible,” as criticized by George Orwell, in his 1946 essay “Politics and the English language.” The phrase “political correctness” is a perfect example of a phrase whose cryptic complexity lets it smuggle into one’s speech or writing a formidable freight of covert (and perhaps, sometimes, unintended) meanings that can detract from or even derail the point of a statement in which it’s used, when it’s not being openly used to justify oppression.

Amidst the flame wars, troll rampages, and other hostilities that attend a digital mediascape much more populous and interactive than it was in the mid-1990s, it is a tragedy of English vocabulary and public discourse that one of the main progressive take-away points from the “political correctness” furore – that we be courteous, thoughtful, sensitive, inclusive, and above all respectful in our language – has been lost, body-snatched by a sneaky and vicious code word for the privileged, entitled, and bigoted to claim not only license but even moral high ground for their vituperative sound and fury.

http://academicalism.wordpress.com/2012/10/12/political-correctness-decoding-a-vicious-pernicious-code-word/

http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1002&pid=5256418

We all have known the purpose for "political correctness" for years. Trying to define it as "being polite" might work for the simpleminded, but the rest of us know better. It's always been a means by which those on the left use to try and stop discussions and/or conversations with which they disagree  and with what they have decided they're already going to believe regardless. It makes them feel uncomfortable because it disagrees with their ideology.

Funny they actually believe people haven't figured that out yet.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 03:49:29 PM by USA4ME »
Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
Re: primitives misdefine "political correctness"
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 04:04:39 PM »
Political Correctness = Not being able to call a spade a spade without being labeled racist for using the word "spade"
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 07:38:37 PM »
Political Correctness = Not being able to call a spade a spade without being labeled racist for using the word "spade"

I think we have a winner!
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 08:26:21 PM »
So now it's politically correct not to criticize political correctness according to the politically correct. ::)