Author Topic: DUmmies Weep, Hearts Bleed Over HuffPo Bouncy  (Read 1075 times)

Offline Dori

DUmmies Weep, Hearts Bleed Over HuffPo Bouncy
« on: April 05, 2014, 11:12:33 AM »
 :whatever:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10024781740

sheshe2 (13,420 posts)

To the Woman Behind Me in Line at the Grocery Store

Dear woman behind me in line at the grocery store,

You don't know me. You have no clue what my life has been like since October 1, 2013. You have no clue that my family has gone through the wringer. You have no clue that we have faced unbelievable hardship. You have no clue we have been humiliated, humbled, destitute.

You have no clue I have cried more days than not; that I fight against bitterness taking control of my heart. You have no clue that my husband's pride was shattered. You have no clue my kids have had the worries of an adult on their shoulders. You have no clue their innocence was snatched from them for no good reason. You know none of this.

What you do know is I tried to buy my kids some food and that the EBT machine was down so I couldn't buy that food. I didn't have any cash or my debit card with me. I only had my SNAP card. All you heard was me saying "No, don't hold it for me. My kids are hungry now and I have no other way of paying for this." You didn't judge me. You didn't snarl "Maybe you should have less kids." You didn't say "Well, get a job and learn to support yourself." You didn't look away in embarrassment or shame for me. You didn't make any assumptions at all.

What you did was you paid that $17.38 grocery bill for us. You gave my kids bananas, yogurt, apple juice, cheese sticks, and a peach ice tea for me; a rare treat and splurge. You let me hug you and promise through my tears that I WILL pay this forward. I WILL pay someone's grocery bill for them. That $17.38 may not have been a lot for you, but it was priceless to us. In the car my kids couldn't stop gushing about you; our "angel in disguise." They prayed for you. They prayed you would be blessed. You restored some of our lost faith. One simple and small action changed our lives. You probably have forgotten about us by now, but we haven't forgotten about you. You will forever be a part of us even though we don't even know your name.

More:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrea-gardner/to-the-woman-behind-me-in_b_5082769.html

Cha (141,303 posts)

1. Random Acts of Kindness, she.. thank you.

sheshe2 (13,420 posts)

3. Yes it is Cha.

"Your greatness is measured by your kindness; your education and intellect by your modesty; your ignorance is betrayed by your suspicions and prejudices, and your real caliber is measured by the consideration and tolerance you have for others.

William J.H. Boetcker (1873-1962)  

^so says one of the most intolerant Klams on the Island who celebrates victimhood daily.

Jackpine Radical (39,989 posts)

2. Dear Andrea,

More people than you may realize can imagine your plight, and the challenges, the hardships you are enduring. Some of us have been there ourselves, some of us just have the capacity for empathy and compassion. We're really not rare. I'm very happy to hear about what happened here. Many of the people around you at any given time would extend that hand when you need it, but the opportunity to do so is not often as obvious as it was in this circumstance. Never believe that the world is mostly filled with uncaring people. It is not.

And thank you for writing this, providing us all with a beautiful reminder of what it means to love and care for each other.

Jackpine.

^ It's sure getting thick in here.  :thatsright:

KamaAina (50,262 posts)

4. The EBT machine was down?

What kind of food store only has one? Or was it down at the other end (more likely a huge bank like JPMorgan Chase than the state these days  )?

^Must show outrage over the evil banks.  :argh:

KamaAina (50,262 posts)

11. That's downright criminal.

I wonder how often their EBT networks go down compared to their ATMs.  

Ken Burch (32,933 posts)

28. The bank probably thinks "why should we care if poor people can get food for their kids...

...it serves them right for daring to stay alive while jobless".

Curmudgeoness (13,366 posts)

5. Oh crap, I've got something in my eye.

I was all ready to be pissed that someone made a rude comment about using a SNAP card. The turn in the story in a different direction really caught me off guard.

How wonderful that the woman did this. Less than $20 was enough to save this from being a sad story. There are more people like this than we hear about, and they make this a better world for all of us.

^Got pissed first?  How's your blood pressure?

steve2470 (20,292 posts)

6. and, on cue, a rwnj shows up
http://huff.to/1dZ5SDV

Tony C. (john262)
257 Fans·Elko, Nevada
"I love that the government makes sure my kids are cared for?" That's not the government's job. That's your job. If you had made more intelligent choices you could have bought a lot more food for that $17.38. You splurged $4.99 for string cheese. For that you could have got a package of chicken legs and a bag of potatoes and fed your kids for two days with it.
4 APR 7:25 AM

eta: very lovely story

^and you know this person's politics how?

CFLDem (1,781 posts)

15. Tony C.

is an ignorant fool.

a) What other people buy with their money is none of your business.

Yes EBT is publicly funded, but that's only by consent of our representatives in congress. Once that money hits that card it's their money.

b) there's no way in hell $5 pays for two days of food for a family unless it's Ramen noodles.

Wanna bet you ignorant fool?

niyad (29,431 posts)

37. since I cannot post on huffpo for some reason, my reply to tony c:

to tonyc: is it exhausting to be such a superior, smug, judgmental, heartless, compassionless waste of skin and oxygen? you know what, I generally do not wish harm on others, but am willing to make an exception in your case. in the interests of you learning to "walk a mile in another's shoes", I think it would be beneficial for you to find yourself in similar, desperate circumstances.

I truly wish, on some occasions, that I believed in hell, because that is clearly where heartless, soulless thugs like you belong.

Wishes harm on someone for expressing their beliefs.

DUmmies hearts only bleed for this fragile woman because she has kids to feed and is forced to live on government funds that the evil bank denied her.  And the evil Tony C has to be a rwnj because he point's out the obvious of how this woman spends her money.  

« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 11:14:46 AM by Dori »
“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
Re: DUmmies Weep, Hearts Bleed Over HuffPo Bouncy
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 11:29:33 AM »
Yes EBT is publicly funded, but that's only by consent of our representatives in congress. Once that money hits that card it's their money.

Oh, really?  It seems that most, if not all states would disagree with you, considering the restrictions placed on EBT purchases.  Most people that are on EBT are there because of BAD DECISIONS.  Do you somehow think now that they're playing poker with someone else's chips that they will somehow become responsible?  You are an idiot of the highest order.

Take the king's shilling, you do the king's bidding.  Suck it up, f*cker, get a job, make your own damn money and then nobody here will give two shits and a potato what you do with your money! 

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 11:41:12 AM »
niyad (29,431 posts)

37. since I cannot post on huffpo for some reason
Even Huffingpoo has standards. You ain't got any, honeybunch.  :loser: :loser:
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 11:46:45 AM »
Oct 1 2013 huh...so another victim of Odumbocare.

Offline Delmar

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 12:41:48 PM »
Response to sheshe2 (Original post)Sat Apr 5, 2014, 10:55 AM
Star Member ProfessorGAC (24,175 posts)
57. Caught Me By Surprise!

Thought the woman behind the writer was going to be some troglodyte insulting other people's intelligence.

Then the pay off. Really cool story!
Response to ProfessorGAC (Reply #57)Sat Apr 5, 2014, 11:14 AM
Star Member treestar (49,312 posts)
59. +1

I expected the lady to be a right wing jerk with some unkind comment. Really made my day it was not!
The primitives are really loving the twist ending.  Just like The Usual Suspects except with an EBT card.  Like M. Night Shyamalan wrote a grocery store bouncy.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline Dori

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 01:49:40 PM »
Response to sheshe2 (Original post)Sat Apr 5, 2014, 10:55 AM
Star Member ProfessorGAC (24,175 posts)
57. Caught Me By Surprise!

Thought the woman behind the writer was going to be some troglodyte insulting other people's intelligence.

I hear a dog whistle

“How fortunate for governments that the people     they administer don't think”  Adolph Hitler

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 01:52:45 PM »
Sounds like another bunch of carnies.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 01:53:13 PM »
bananas, yogurt, apple juice, cheese sticks, and a peach ice tea for me;

You got all that for $17?

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline tanstaafl

• I AM the NRA. And I VOTE
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 03:26:55 PM »
Lucky she was shopping where there was a good chance a Conservative was behind in the checkout line.

But I agree with Tony C. Here's this poor mother filling her kids with potassium, high fructose corn syrup-based apple flavored drink and topping it off with a constipator.

Then gets herself something good to boot.

Oh, and to the proglodyte that that was comparing the "EBT" machine working less that the ATM - there is no such thing as a cash dispensing "EBT" machine, the poor downtrodden unemployable slackers get their cash the same way I do - from the ATM, the states that use the cards have them work like debit cards, with a cash balance. They should be forced to shuffle the coupons like in the old days, make it so people don't like to line up behind them and have to look at the steaks, lobster and pate' they're buying on the dime of the workers.

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 06:58:51 PM »
Well, I'mabanana isn't going to tolerate such ignorance:

Response to sheshe2 (Original post)

Sat Apr 5, 2014, 03:44 PM

iamthebandfanman (7,494 posts)

67. Ive stopped tolerating such ignorance.

I used to ignore comments from people in line over someone using EBT and would just make sure they saw me rolling my eyes at their notion..
 but sometime last year *full disclosure, im white.. if that matters* I was standing in line at a local IGA..
 some lady, who looked like she had already had a rough day and had a baby in the seat of her cart, was checking out using her EBT card..
 when out of nowhere this 60 something year old white guy comments to another white guy around his age or older that 'these lazy ******s always hold up the line'....
 the rage that entered my body literally froze me. couldn't move. couldn't speak. all I could do is hear the thoughts racing through my head a million miles an hour. I then said 'jesus buddy why don't you speak up a little so the whole store can hear'.. he started to reply and I said 'whoa I didn't ask for a reply, I just think you should watch your ****ing mouth and stop judging people you don't know.. and since today is give your opinion out loud day apparently..'.
 he left and got into another line.
I don't think the lady even heard him, thank god..
nobody should have to go through ridicule or shame while at the damn grocery store.
 people are cruel and impatient... and seek out others to point at to make themselves feel better about all the failures they've had in life.

suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure you did

Offline Delmar

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 07:04:36 PM »
Well, I'mabanana isn't going to tolerate such ignorance:

suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure you did

You can't argue with results--it got the desired pat-on-the-back response.

Response to iamthebandfanman (Reply #67)Sat Apr 5, 2014, 05:24 PM
Star Member sheshe2 (13,433 posts)
72. You are a good person, iamthebandfanman.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 07:10:56 PM »
bananas, yogurt, apple juice, cheese sticks, and a peach ice tea for me;

That was my first thought, too.  :II:

Cry me a frickin' river, Puff Ho.  The key to a bouncy that will resonate with anyone other than your pitiful band of miserable miscreant thieves, is to not use all the lefty crying points one after the other.

...and you lying pieces of the foulest shit don't believe in the make believe sky person.  Give it up.

Oh....and

:ownit:
It's all on you, stupids.

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 10:36:23 PM »
She can manage to pay for the car, insurance and $4.00/gal gas though.  I think she and the kids were saying "sucker"! as they drove away laughing.

NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline tanstaafl

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 12:51:46 AM »
She can manage to pay for the car, insurance and $4.00/gal gas though.  I think she and the kids were saying "sucker"! as they drove away laughing.

If dey so po', why ain't dey ridin da buss?

Even tho', every hard workin' person knows that the grocery stores have all pretty much nixed the idea of a bustop in their lots. Kind of dries up the higher end business that can afford to drive further to avoid the first of the mothers.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 11:28:27 AM »
treestar (49,312 posts)
59. +1

I expected the lady to be a right wing jerk with some unkind comment. Really made my day it was not!

Odd are, it was a right wing "jerk."  After all, she did have money on her own card, not an EBT.  She paid with her own money, didn't go crying about how the lousy banks-lousy stores-lousy government doesn't do enough for the poor.  The chances that it was a lib are maybe 1 in 20, if that high.  It was some busy right-winger who'd rather pay for someone else's stuff than wait in line forever...and didn't mind giving away a few bucks anyway.  

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 12:03:51 PM »
HuffPo is another leftist rag like Salon.  :mental:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Dori

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 12:52:14 PM »

Reminds me of the other thread where they only had $35 for a weeks worth of food and bought crap that didn't look like it would get them past a couple of days.

That mom could have stretched her $17 a lot further. This is where the left really pisses me off.  I had to feed a family of six on a very limited budget for several years and without any hand outs.  I guess because they think they are owed and that daddy government will bail them out they can spend our money stupidly.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2014, 01:08:18 PM »
Ken Burch (32,933 posts)

28. The bank probably thinks "why should we care if poor people can get food for their kids...

I love this quote. It is a window into the lib mind.
The assumption is the only way to pay for groceries or other necessities is by having a job, or welfare.
Dave Ramsey says to have 6 months of expenses saved up for an emergency fund.
Those type of thoughts would never occur to a lib.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline tanstaafl

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2014, 05:19:00 PM »
Ken Burch (32,933 posts)

I love this quote. It is a window into the lib mind.
The assumption is the only way to pay for groceries or other necessities is by having a job, or welfare.
Dave Ramsey says to have 6 months of expenses saved up for an emergency fund.
Those type of thoughts would never occur to a lib.

Why should the bank have any opinion. They're there to service people with money. If the state the primitive lives in won't pay the banks' fee for ATM processing, then the bank's ATM won't process the state's EBT.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 05:20:57 PM »
Banks are a repository for other peoples money.
Precisely why the DUmpmonkeys want it.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2014, 05:48:16 PM »
About as likely to be true as death threats to a Lesbo professor at a women's college, or clandestine racists hanging a noose on a Black kid's dorm room door.

:mental:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2014, 07:56:44 AM »
About as likely to be true as death threats to a Lesbo professor at a women's college, or clandestine racists hanging a noose on a Black kid's dorm room door.

:mental:

Say there, with the price of Lobster as low as it is, for $17.00 I can buy 3 of them store cooked, a bag of hotdog rolls and make enough lobster rolls to last a few days.

For $17.00 I can buy a 24 pack of Ramen noodles, 3-4 packs of frozen vegetables, a big bag of frozen meat balls, and feed the family for a few days.   Milk for the kids, boxes of dry milk will when made up and frozen then defrosted and shaken up tastes just like the regular 2%.

Hawaii 1969 cost of whole milk was $5.00 a gallon.   SPAM is also cheap, start feeding the kids spam at a young age and they will love it cooked with pinapple or honey sauce.

Dried beans, peas and corn is under or around a dollar a pound, rice is still cheap, bacon is expensive but some store brands have hot dogs at low price and a can 3 pound of baked beans to go with the dogs come in at about $5-6 dollars to feed with rice a family of 6.

Working in food production I have learned that the manufactures for a name brand after they get the order will just change labels and go for the off brands using the same quality food but sold at a huge discount.   Same darn quality food except the difference in price may be $1.50 a pound.

Much of the cost for food is in the packaging and transportation costs.   We get the frozen food in these self seal bags, any idea of the cost of the machines that make these.?

String cheese is good only for training dogs, I would never feed it to a human.   Yogurt is fine if one has the money and eats it every day and can afford it. --Cheaper to get a probiotic  time release from the drug store. 

People in big cities are just not educated on how to feed a family except for the illegals that have century's of up bringing and cook the food they were raised in. 

Offline Karin

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2014, 08:33:20 AM »
Oh the DUmmies are eating up the story, 320+ recs.  Of course you know why:  It's Other People's Money.