Author Topic: WillyT extends stupidity to economics  (Read 770 times)

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
WillyT extends stupidity to economics
« on: March 13, 2014, 12:09:22 PM »
Star Member WillyT (52,827 posts)

2 Charts That Will Enrage Everyone (Well, Except Bankers) - HuffPo
2 Charts That Will Enrage Everyone (Well, Except Bankers)
The Huffington Post | by Maxwell Strachan
Posted: 03/12/2014 4:58 pm EDT Updated: 03/13/2014 9:59 am EDT Print Article

<snip>

Take every single dollar made by full-time workers earning the federal minimum wage last year. Now double that pile of cash. OK, now we’re in Wall Street bonus territory.

Wall Street pulled in $26.7 billion in cash bonuses last year, according to estimates revealed Wednesday by the New York state comptroller. That’s up about 15 percent from the previous year, and amounts to $164,530 per person when split up among the industry’s 165,200 employees in New York.

In a new report the Institute for Policy Studies, a progressive think-tank that advocates for pay fairness, paints those bonuses in a rather startling way: Wall Street's cash pile is now nearly double what the country’s 1.085 million full-time minimum wage workers made all of last year.

and some other stupid chart that shows nothing

Marxism can be boiled down to exactly one thought: a worker is a worker.

Let me ask you lurking DUmmies something: suppose you're starting a business (I mean a real business, not one where you market your poli sci texts from 1972). When you want capital to get things rolling, do you mean to tell me that you're just as likely to go see a pimply kid flipping burgers at McDonald's than you are a banker?

Get me, guys - I'm a DUmmy looking for capital to finance or buy a business: "You know, I'd like to expand my business of making custom kneepads for ProSense and MSNBC hosts. But I'm currently tapped out. I can't finance growth through cash flow, so I need capital. Or I need to go buy someone else. Hm. It's a hell of a problem. Well, I guess I have to get the suit out and do a roadshow. I'm not sure I want private equity money, because I want to retain control, but I should at least listen to them. Bank money might be expensive, but only until I start growing. What I need, really, is some advice. Here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to make exactly two calls. The first will be to Goldman Sachs, who has experience advising people like me, and arranging capital for well-formed and promising ideas. The other call is going to be to Jimmy McZittles, who works a couple nights a week at the Cinnabon. Advice is advice. One of those two, Goldman or McZittles, is going to get me going.

Do you get what I'm saying, DUmmies? People who make minimum wage aren't in the same universe as people who allocate capital and create billions in wealth. If being a capitalist was that easy, YOU'D be doing it. Instead, you don't even have MINIMUM WAGE jobs. Worthless addicted assfaces.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
Re: WillyT extends stupidity to economics
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 12:17:58 PM »
What that graph tells me is that one should strive to get a better career than a burger flipper for life.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 12:20:00 PM by Zathras »
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 12:20:22 PM »
What that graph tells me is that one should strive to make more than minimum wage.

That, lurking DUmmies, is the difference between us and you.

^5 for what is known as LUCIDITY.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

Offline Karin

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 12:23:25 PM »
Funny, I don't feel enraged.

At any rate, you're wrong, BFDU.  Taverner once told us that all you needed to be a hedge fund manager was a computer keyboard. 

:rotf:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 12:27:40 PM »

At any rate, you're wrong, BFDU.  Taverner once told us that all you needed to be a hedge fund manager was a computer keyboard. 

He also said that about running an internet forum and look how well that turned out.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 12:27:53 PM »

Taverner once told us that all you needed to be a hedge fund manager was a computer keyboard. 

And someone who trusts you with more than their hedge clippings to invest. I don't get why DUmmies don't pool their funds and let one of them manage it for them. Granted, only three or so of them have a pot to piss in, but they're supposed to believe in taxing the 1%. Come on, kpete. GIVE.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 12:30:48 PM »
Hey DUmbasses,remember how you loved QE3?

http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,78102.0.html

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 12:35:28 PM »
Hey DUmbasses,remember how you loved QE3?

http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,78102.0.html

For the lurkers afflicted by stupidity, let me elaborate: cheap money means cheap equities. Cheap equities means cheaper capital. Cheaper capital means more activity, M&A and otherwise. That means more business for Wall Street.

So if you liked QE3, you LOVE Wall Street.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

Offline thundley4

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 12:41:17 PM »
The pace of "the rich getting richer, and the poor getting poorer" has really picked up under Obama.  Obama loves poor people so much that he is making more of them.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 12:43:39 PM »

For the lurkers afflicted by stupidity, let me elaborate: cheap money means cheap equities. Cheap equities means cheaper capital. Cheaper capital means more activity, M&A and otherwise. That means more business for Wall Street.

So if you liked QE3, you LOVE Wall Street.

Exactly,billions a month dumped into the equity market by Obozo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantitative_easing

A third round of quantitative easing, "QE3", was announced on 13 September 2012. In an 11–1 vote, the Federal Reserve decided to launch a new $40 billion per month, open-ended bond purchasing program of agency mortgage-backed securities. Additionally, the Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) announced that it would likely maintain the federal funds rate near zero "at least through 2015."[44][45] According to NASDAQ.com, this is effectively a stimulus program that allows the Federal Reserve to relieve $40 billion per month of commercial housing market debt risk.[46] Because of its open-ended nature, QE3 has earned the popular nickname of "QE-Infinity."[47] On 12 December 2012, the FOMC announced an increase in the amount of open-ended purchases from $40 billion to $85 billion per month.[48]

On 19 June 2013, Ben Bernanke announced a "tapering" of some of the Fed's QE policies contingent upon continued positive economic data. Specifically, he said that the Fed could scale back its bond purchases from $85 billion to $65 billion a month during the upcoming September 2013 policy meeting

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 12:44:14 PM »
If they spent as much effort worrying about their own income as they do about what others make they would find that the money other people make has no effect on them
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 01:17:22 PM »
It would be interesting to see them "eat" the top 1% just on the island. Just keep doing it until there's none of those evil rich left.
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline jukin

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 01:23:44 PM »
7-8 million people kicked off of the insurance plan they like is a "small percentage" and not worth worrying about....at least to Obama. So 1 million is an infinitesimal percentage why is Obama worrying about them? 
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 01:40:53 PM »
7-8 million people kicked off of the insurance plan they like is a "small percentage" and not worth worrying about....at least to Obama. So 1 million is an infinitesimal percentage why is Obama worrying about them? 

7 million losing coverage is nothing.

3 million signing up for 0losercare, however, is a huge number.

ergo, to a liberal, 3 > 7.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

Offline Beerman

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 01:42:19 PM »
Thos subhumans wouldn't know about ROI if it was drilled between their eyes.  Hedge fund managers get a cut from investing capital from very very rich people when they make good investments.

In terms they can understand, it's like when you pay a portion of your "winnings" to the social security lawyer who helped you qualify for a bogus social security claim.

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 01:48:55 PM »
I mean a real business, not one where you market your poli sci texts from 1972
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

:hi5:

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 01:49:37 PM »

"A single death is a tragedy.  A million deaths?  Merely a statistic." -Joseph Stalin

That the mindset of the left, anyway.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 01:52:54 PM »

Now, wait....Taverner said this would work......

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 01:54:54 PM »

7 million losing coverage is nothing.

3 million signing up for 0losercare, however, is a huge number.

ergo, to a liberal, 3 > 7.

Beat me to it.....  :cheersmate:

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 02:15:54 PM »
If they spent as much effort worrying about their own income as they do about what others make they would find that the money other people make has no effect on them

And racking up 100k posts to bitch about it at the DUmp doesn't help their case either.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 03:07:28 PM »
This thread reminds me SO much of those people who used to bitch about how much money I made doing real estate and, how little I had to do for it.  My response to them was always the same; Get your RE License and I'll be more than happy to be your sponsoring broker.

Not a single one ever took me up on my offer.  Hell, I would have fronted them the cash for the classes/tests/license/fingerprinting/association dues/MLS fees/yougettheidea.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 03:11:23 PM »
This thread reminds me SO much of those people who used to bitch about how much money I made doing real estate and, how little I had to do for it.  My response to them was always the same; Get your RE License and I'll be more than happy to be your sponsoring broker.

Not a single one ever took me up on my offer.  Hell, I would have fronted them the cash for the classes/tests/license/fingerprinting/association dues/MLS fees/yougettheidea.

KC

DU exists as a repository for exactly the sort of bullshitter who would sooner die than lift a finger to help himself. Not only is most lucrative work really hard, but it requires even more hard work. DUmmies think hard work is hammering a BUCK FUSH sign in their front yard.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2014, 03:25:06 PM »
The income disparity is outrageous.

All these million-plus full-time minimum-wage drones are making nearly $15K each. Fifteen thousand dollars!!

Compare this to the wages paid to brilliant DUmpmonkeys like Will Pitt and nutcase nadin.

Fifteen thousand dollars versus zero!!

Actually this problem will soon be solved.

The insurance mandate will assure that none of these people will work more than 29 hours per week.