Author Topic: Amtrak Threat-How Real/Probable Is It?  (Read 1256 times)

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • 8/20/50 - 3/8/12 Love you, Pop
Amtrak Threat-How Real/Probable Is It?
« on: September 06, 2011, 07:15:47 AM »
I ask because there was a big article in our small town paper I read this morning. The "Be aware," "Be Vigilant," and "If you see something, say something" sentiments were all there. However, I have only heard one report on this possibility one other place than in my paper. Fox News. That was a few weeks ago. How probable do you guys thing a train/rail attack would be?

The only thing I'm worried aboutis my father. He's taking a plane to Ohio to meet up with his brothers, cousins, other family. However, He's leaving tonight, so I don't think I have to be as worried. Though, it is around that time...

:usflag: :salutearmy: :saluteaf: :saluteusmc: :salutenavy: :taps:
THANK YOU for what you do!

soon as you find your manhood all else falls into place.

Quote from: Greg Gutfeld
If Ft. Hood was "workplace violence," then the Hindenburg was an air show.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

I don't know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out.

3x PROUD Facebook Felon!!

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Re: Amtrak Threat-How Real/Probable Is It?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 11:25:48 AM »
I ask because there was a big article in our small town paper I read this morning. The "Be aware," "Be Vigilant," and "If you see something, say something" sentiments were all there. However, I have only heard one report on this possibility one other place than in my paper. Fox News. That was a few weeks ago. How probable do you guys thing a train/rail attack would be?

The only thing I'm worried aboutis my father. He's taking a plane to Ohio to meet up with his brothers, cousins, other family. However, He's leaving tonight, so I don't think I have to be as worried. Though, it is around that time...

Amtrack for it's faults and good side is one heck of a lot safer to travel then by car, plane, or ship.    Actually safer then riding a bicycle in traffic.

Place 200 people on a plane or ship, the odds of survival in an attack are minimal.   Every day one drives their car, the odds go up for an accident be it weather, tire failure, drunks or truckers that fall asleep at the wheel.

Jump aboard an Amtrack, no problem with getting up and moving from car to car when your legs get stiff.  Lots to look at out the windows and if others in the car have screaming baby's, just move to another car.

There is a dining car that does sell beer and sandwitches if you get hungry, only problem are the toilets that are enter at your own risk.

In case of a derailment, your odds are better to walk away then at 30,000 feet in a plane or 50 miles out to sea.

Taking the train is an adventure that was done long before the Auto, Planes, right up there with the waggon trains headed west.   History and mystery of the train travel, why the hell not?????

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 04:38:40 PM »
We always get these "See something, say something" things right around 9/11.  I think the ads mean well, but they are also stirring up fear in some people.  All threats should be looked into, no matter how small. 

Vesta - You kind of missed the point of what Rev was saying.  He wasn't asking what mode of transportation is safest.  The 10th anniversary of 9/11 is Sunday.  A car accident would likely kill just one or two people and they are not intentional.  Note the word accident in the previous sentence.  Terrorists plan and plot how to blow up something and kill thousands of people at once... on purpose.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • 8/20/50 - 3/8/12 Love you, Pop
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 07:31:40 PM »
^ This. However, why wouldn't terrorists just try to slam a plane into a populated station with trains just coming into it as opposed to hitting an open train going to a destination. I don't know which attack has been talked about more, but just from a killer's perspective, I'd be watching the actual stations in big cities far more than the trains.

And Vesta: I rode Amtrak from NYC to my small town. It ain't bad, but yes, the bathrooms leave much to be desired.

:usflag: :salutearmy: :saluteaf: :saluteusmc: :salutenavy: :taps:
THANK YOU for what you do!

soon as you find your manhood all else falls into place.

Quote from: Greg Gutfeld
If Ft. Hood was "workplace violence," then the Hindenburg was an air show.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

I don't know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out.

3x PROUD Facebook Felon!!

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 10:16:06 PM »
^ This. However, why wouldn't terrorists just try to slam a plane into a populated station with trains just coming into it as opposed to hitting an open train going to a destination. I don't know which attack has been talked about more, but just from a killer's perspective, I'd be watching the actual stations in big cities far more than the trains.

And Vesta: I rode Amtrak from NYC to my small town. It ain't bad, but yes, the bathrooms leave much to be desired.

As we've seen, since Sept. 11, 2001, the air traveling public isn't interested in playing Islamic Martyr any more.  The Shoe Bomber found this out the hard way, as did the Fruit Of Ka-Boom bomber a few years ago and a bunch of other failed attempts landing in other countries.  The GOVERNMENT AGENCIES may be adopting the PC, no "profiling" line, but airline passengers have already amply demonstrated that if we spot you trying to light yer fuse on OUR flight, you're gonna get the crap beat out of you before we finally get on the ground and have to let the authorities have you for a long, ignominious stay in the Grey Bar Hotel.  The failure rate for using airliners as terrorist weapons/targets is through the roof over the past 10 years. 

My guess, if they feel airliners are barred to them now, then perhaps they're looking for softer targets, and think AAMTRAK is one of them.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 05:01:23 AM »
As we've seen, since Sept. 11, 2001, the air traveling public isn't interested in playing Islamic Martyr any more.  The Shoe Bomber found this out the hard way, as did the Fruit Of Ka-Boom bomber a few years ago and a bunch of other failed attempts landing in other countries.  The GOVERNMENT AGENCIES may be adopting the PC, no "profiling" line, but airline passengers have already amply demonstrated that if we spot you trying to light yer fuse on OUR flight, you're gonna get the crap beat out of you before we finally get on the ground and have to let the authorities have you for a long, ignominious stay in the Grey Bar Hotel.  The failure rate for using airliners as terrorist weapons/targets is through the roof over the past 10 years. 

My guess, if they feel airliners are barred to them now, then perhaps they're looking for softer targets, and think AAMTRAK is one of them.

Defiant,   The terrorists are exactly that into terrorising as many people as they can. 

Bringing down a plane is instant death to all, Amtrack may allow 75% of the passengers to walk away.

My fear is for the underground subways in this country.  We have had movies made on this premise of 300+ or more people stuck underground in a natural disaster.

This is the weak point we have in the big city's, Rush hour twice a day with thousands of people riding into the city's at the same hour and home again.    Our motor tunnels under rivers or city's may be filled with cars and trucks but the death of 500 people is small pickings to the terrorists, they want a WOW effect, Not just a few weeks or months of cleaning up but as in the Twin Towers 10 years of problems and fear.

Much easier pickings then to blow up a nuke plant and have to face that land for perhaps more then 100 miles will be unusable for half a century or more.   Not any kind of good to them in that condition.

If you place yourself in the shoes of a terrorest, want maximun gain for your buck and cause the most damage and hysteria, collapse of our country's  news media and jobs, the ability to transport food and goods into the city's and those living far from the city's, this is my bet.   Sort of like a death pool, guess where they will strike next and avoid at all cost.  The Terrorists can hit our power grids but we can adjust, it is the mass death toll and disruption of commerce and fear they cause that is their game.

It took what, 5 years of planning for 9/11  look what this has done to America so far, now these Evil folks have had 10 years to re plan and learn from their mistakes how to make an even bigger attack on us.

They have learned that September is not a good time to attack us, had they hit in the bone cold of winter, we would have lost 3 times as many people.   Dead of winter is what I fear, the cold, ice and impassable streets.