Author Topic: A rare serious post from me...about profanity.  (Read 476 times)

Offline CC27

A rare serious post from me...about profanity.
« on: January 09, 2020, 12:24:31 PM »
LuckyCharms (6,355 posts)

A rare serious post from me...about profanity.

In real life as well as online. I interact (as you undoubtedly do also), with people of many different colors, ages, religions, sizes, shapes, intellectual levels, etc.

People who are clean, dirty, rich, poor, smart, dumb, idiots, not idiots, abrasive, calm.

Each person was brought to their station in life by whatever their past consisted of. There are no two people who are alike.

Some people swear profusely. Some people don't swear at all. Some people cannot communicate without swearing. It's like when you know a person who talks with their hands in conjunction with their speech. If you hold their hands down by their sides, they may have difficulty communicating.

I swear. Sometimes I swear profusely. Sometimes, I do not swear at all. Sometimes I use unique swear words (oopsie-****ing-daisy). I'll usually try to judge my audience when I choose the way I speak. For example, I wouldn't say "mother****er" when talking to some sweet old lady who I just met. But that's me, that's how I talk. That's nothing to to with anyone else, that's just me.

The following is also me...I try not to judge people for the way the speak or write, for the simple reason of "they are individuals, and that's the way they talk". If someone chooses to incorporate the word "****" as the middle syllable in every word they say to me, I'm not going to melt. Conversely, if I am speaking to someone who doesn't swear at all, I will most likely limit or eliminate my swearing in the conversation.

DU is a large collection of people. Historically, a large portion of DUers swear. To tell someone that you do not like that they swear is akin to telling someone that you do not like their laugh, or that their laugh sounds ridiculous. And you know what that could mean...they might never laugh again. You may make someone afraid to laugh again.

Telling someone to "watch your mouth", or "do you kiss your mom with that mouth" or "can't you talk without swearing" is to criticize the very way they talk. We have no idea what life circumstances cause people to talk the way they do. If you tell a rabid swearer not to swear, they may not swear in front of you the next time, but they also will not communicate as well with you either. They may not be able to get their point across as well.

It's not up to me to judge anyone in this manner. It's not up to me to judge their grammar, or their education level, or their social status. People communicate with each other in the manner that they feel gets their point across. I'm not saying that I love when people go overboard with their cursing, but it is not up to me to say anything to them about it. It's like telling someone "hey, do me a favor, go back the last 50 years and change every variable in your life that has caused you to curse while talking to me today". Why would it be my place to do that? Why would I want to possibly stifle someone's words? To what end?

Understand what I'm saying, ****ers?

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212856139

Your point is what?

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: A rare serious post from me...about profanity.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 12:38:55 PM »
DU is a small and insignificant collection of insane people.

Fixed that for accuracy, DUmb ass.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender