Author Topic: Legal/Political Question  (Read 596 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Legal/Political Question
« on: June 19, 2020, 10:01:32 AM »
I’ve been wondering for several days about some of the charges being brought against these cops and some of the counter protesters who have been forced to defend themselves. Sometimes using their vehicle to move violence prone protesters out of the way because you have no idea what they plan to do, or in some cases a firearm to fend off skateboard/knife wielding attackers who chase you down.

Some of the charges being brought seem extraordinarily high for the circumstances. The cop in Atlanta is possibly facing the death penalty.

Are these prosecutors trying to force them into a plea deal, OR are some of these prosecutors doing this KNOWING they’ve overcharged, the defendant will be straight up acquitted, because they want to keep the racial strife going?

I mean all you’re going to hear in the news for weeks is some cop has been charged with capital murder, THEN you’re going to hear the cop was acquitted of ALL charges. After that will be all the jury breakdown by skin color and education and ...

Thoughts?

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Legal/Political Question
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 10:39:42 AM »
I think prosecutors normally follow the concept of "throw the kitchen sink at him and see what sticks." All of that definitely falls into the plea negotiation process. Dinesh d'Souza has spoken about this at length when he was indicted for campaign finance law violation -- a practice that no one else had ever been convicted of, much less dragged through the muck.

I think it's doubtful that even in these hyper-stupid times with out-of-control prosecutors/DAs, rabid Antifa thugs, rioters and looters that are just looking for more free stuff, that a cop would be handed a death penalty if that death was conducted during the course of the cop's duties -- even the cop in Minneapolis (whether or not Minnesota has a death penalty is irrelevant for the purpose of this discussion).

I do believe that leftists following their mantra of "Never let a crisis go to waste" will capitalize on the outrage -- both real and faux -- to continue the unrest and the stupidity that they've inflicted on all of us. Their objective isn't only to get rid of Trump -- they are intent on destroying our way of life, capitalism, and principles and morals that are common to most of us watching all this shit with disbelief.

This is only going to get worse, I believe, until the pressure cooker blows. Kinda like Mt. St. Helens. You know it's going to blow, you just don't know when.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 11:39:18 AM »

This is only going to get worse, I believe, until the pressure cooker blows. Kinda like Mt. St. Helens. You know it's going to blow, you just don't know when.

This exactly what I’ve been telling people. You can only back the meek up so far before you come to realize meek doesn’t mean weak. Meekness simply means; strength under control.

When the meek realize their back is against the wall there will b hell unleashed and it will be ugly.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 12:16:45 PM »
You raise some interesting points. Here in Fla we have stand your ground and castle doctrine laws. In a case where the guy shot the protester who was beating the shit out of him with a skate board it was obviously self defense and as long as he was legal to be carrying there should not have been an arrest.

I have sen several situation where mobs have beaten people almost to death, if you are in that situation I don't see how your life is worth less than some thugs.
There is also the instance where there was a truck driver who was arrested when he approached a mob blocking the highway. He sounded his horn and was able to stop befroe hitting anyone but he was arrested. If you are stupid enough to walk out on a high speed highway and get hit by a vehivle the driver should not be responsible if he can't stop in time to avoid you.

I guess in this upside down time we are living in it is better to shoot first and save your ass than to be beaten to death by an angry mob who will suffer no consequences.

The whole idea of releasing the rioters and looters with no charges only emboldens them to step up their violence and destruction because they know there are no consequences.

The politicians don't give a shit because they are safe and it isn't their property or money being destroyed.
Let a mob go and burn down the city councils homes and see how quickly the shoe changes feet.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 03:26:32 PM »
Usually with police shootings it goes to the grand jury. I wonder why it did not go to the grand jury.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 09:24:41 AM »
Usually with police shootings it goes to the grand jury. I wonder why it did not go to the grand jury.

Because a grand jury wouldn't have returned such overblown indictments. The prosecutor that filed the charges is up for reelection.