Author Topic: Where's the Saturday Thread?  (Read 7021 times)

Offline Miss Mia

Re: Where's the Saturday Thread?
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2008, 07:29:09 PM »
I can't believe no one has started one yet. How does The Lounge survive without these?  :-)

I slept in until 9. Went to Target and bought things I didn't need. Now I'm watching football.

What are you all doing today?

TOTD: Soda drinkers--have you ever thought about going cold turkey. Just give up drinking the stuff? I would like to because of all the harmful effects it has on my body, but I am truly addicted to it and am not sure how I can succesfully do this without having serious problems. Should I even bother?

I've been blah today so neglected it...lot's of home drama and such

many pardons :-)

TOTD: Yes, I have, for about 2 years. You really don't miss it once you get used to being without it...honestly, the same with coffee and the times I've eliminated that and other junk, I feel terrific. It is worth it...even if you give it a month at first. I usually get a headache at first when I ditch the caffeine though..fyi

I've tried to give up caffeine.  It didn't take.  I got addicted to Monster Energy drinks, and was having them once a day, well, I'm down to once or twice a week.  But I still have coffee everyday at work.
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2008, 07:42:27 PM »

Does this look worth $130 to y'all?

No, and WTF is "human" geography  :tazeme:
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2008, 07:46:07 PM »

Well, the class I am taking is called "Cultural Geography."    *grabs class syllabus*

Here is an excerpt from the syllabus:

Cultural Geography starts from the observation that these socially acquired capabilities and habits vary from one place to another, as the result of interactions with each other or with the natural environment.

If that is too confusing, I'll work on creating a clearer answer. LOL
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2008, 07:47:26 PM »
I can't believe no one has started one yet. How does The Lounge survive without these?  :-)

I slept in until 9. Went to Target and bought things I didn't need. Now I'm watching football.

What are you all doing today?

TOTD: Soda drinkers--have you ever thought about going cold turkey. Just give up drinking the stuff? I would like to because of all the harmful effects it has on my body, but I am truly addicted to it and am not sure how I can succesfully do this without having serious problems. Should I even bother?

I've been blah today so neglected it...lot's of home drama and such

many pardons :-)

TOTD: Yes, I have, for about 2 years. You really don't miss it once you get used to being without it...honestly, the same with coffee and the times I've eliminated that and other junk, I feel terrific. It is worth it...even if you give it a month at first. I usually get a headache at first when I ditch the caffeine though..fyi

I've tried to give up caffeine.  It didn't take.  I got addicted to Monster Energy drinks, and was having them once a day, well, I'm down to once or twice a week.  But I still have coffee everyday at work.

I haven't done it in a few years, but I'm 38 now so I'd like to be in better shape and cutting all that crap out by the time I hit 40 so I'm gong to give it another go...

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2008, 07:47:52 PM »

Well, the class I am taking is called "Cultural Geography."    *grabs class syllabus*

Here is an excerpt from the syllabus:

Cultural Geography starts from the observation that these socially acquired capabilities and habits vary from one place to another, as the result of interactions with each other or with the natural environment.

If that is too confusing, I'll work on creating a clearer answer. LOL

I took a class called "World Cultures."  Sounded cool and would satisfy a requirement.  Turned out my professor was a moonbat.  It was horrible, but I still got an A. :)
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2008, 07:48:52 PM »
Well, I should have mentioned in my other post that my trouble-making textbook arrived today.   I am SO glad I paid for it online for close to half of what it would have been at the school bookstore.

Better then the piddly little corporate finance book I ended up with that was the same price...I'm always going...whiskey.tango.foxtrot where books are concerned. I want some meat and potatoes for 130 bucks

Offline Chris_

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2008, 07:49:58 PM »

I took a class called "World Cultures."  Sounded cool and would satisfy a requirement.  Turned out my professor was a moonbat.  It was horrible, but I still got an A. :)

So far, my professor seems to be pretty sane.  Although that could change when the subject of political geography comes up in class.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2008, 07:50:26 PM »
I finished doing my weekly cleaning  today that I started yesterday, and then I went up to the grocery store and then took the kids to Target...blah. Will be watching a movie or something on TV in a bit after I've had my bubble bath.

Hubby grilled steaks out on the grill tonight, YUMMY!

TOTD: Pre-pregnancy, I used to drink diet Mountain Dew. Since I've had the baby, diet sodas give me a terrible headache, and I attribute that to the artificial sweetener in them. I am now officially addicted to Coke, and I drink one a day  :-)
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2008, 07:52:38 PM »

So far, my professor seems to be pretty sane.  Although that could change when the subject of political geography comes up in class.

This was back in Nov 2000.  We spent many classes discussing the Bush/Gore recount.  And it had nothing to do with the course work!  The tests were over the book, so you'd have to read that and have no class lectures for the exams. 
Stink Eye

Offline Chris_

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2008, 07:52:51 PM »
Well, I should have mentioned in my other post that my trouble-making textbook arrived today.   I am SO glad I paid for it online for close to half of what it would have been at the school bookstore.

Better then the piddly little corporate finance book I ended up with that was the same price...I'm always going...whiskey.tango.foxtrot where books are concerned. I want some meat and potatoes for 130 bucks

I paid only $71 for my copy of the book.   I told my professor, and he was shocked.  I told him Amazon is the place to go for BIG savings.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2008, 07:53:15 PM »
It sounds kind of like a sociology class.

Mia, I think the moonbats are drawn to those sorts of topics for teaching. I took a sociology course taught by a BIG time feminist, but she was really, really nice.

Barack Obama

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2008, 07:55:36 PM »

So far, my professor seems to be pretty sane.  Although that could change when the subject of political geography comes up in class.

This was back in Nov 2000.  We spent many classes discussing the Bush/Gore recount.  And it had nothing to do with the course work!  The tests were over the book, so you'd have to read that and have no class lectures for the exams. 

Well, at least that's objective. I have to give my moonbat law professor that. Even if he disagreed in the discussions we had as a group, he was fair in grading. I got an A in his class and that was with a very huge paper and 2 tests that were ALL short essay answers. Thankfully, he seemed to look for knowledge and application so as long as you knew the material and could make it fit reasonably in the case studies to support your opinion, he was good with that.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2008, 09:20:24 PM »
You had a newspaper article written about your visit to a dentist?  :confused:

I just checked the Omaha World-Herald web-site, hoping that they had archived pre-internet articles, but alas it appears no.

Anyway, there used to be a columnist there, the late Robert McMorris, who wrote "light humor" for page two of the main section. 

Now, Nebraska is a pretty small place, with only two seven-days-a-week newspapers, and generally everybody in Nebraska reads one or the other, or both (but the overwhelming majority read the Omaha World-Herald, like maybe 80% to the 20% who read the Lincoln newspaper.....and those who read the Lincoln newspaper most likely read the Omaha newspaper too).

Nebraska's so small that I'll bet the non-primitive OmahaSteve and the unterprimitiven the abracadabra primitive woman waiting for her mother to die so she can more to Oregon, if they lurked here, they would have at least a faint recognition of who I am in real life; this was during the 1980s.

Anyway, I was a source for much of the humor that the late Robert McMorris wrote; I don't recall when our association began, but vaguely recall it must have been when I was still a teenager, and witnessed an inquest in Canterbury, England, with all sorts of odd twists-and-turns to the story, and its usually-preposterous ending.

Life is full of unexpected endings, and I think I mastered that.

Anyway, I want to give an example of a page-two story about me, but I'm not sure of the character-limit here, and so will do that on my comment following.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2008, 09:27:37 PM »
Now, before I go any further, I have to remind others that I am deaf.....and oh, gloomy and dreary is the life of the deaf, where one sees people moving and walking and talking and ambling, but it's like watching television with no sound.

Most of the time, that's okay, though; one gets tired of people.

But sometimes one wants some "action," something to happen that animates the people around one, making them more lively, more spirited, and hence easier to "read."

Hearing people are not aware of how much the sounds they make, animate them, give them life.

I suppose one would call me a "trouble-maker" with some justification, but there's never any malice behind it; it's usually just a desperate attempt to get a rise out of others, so one can "read" them better.

One of the stories in the Omaha World-Herald (during the 1980s, remember), was about the time I inadvertently caused confusion, chaos, and panic at the post office in Lincoln.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2008, 09:35:49 PM »
I've always had a very large mailing-list (regular mail), and sometime during the 1980s I came across something that saved circa 10-25% in postage expenses.  I purchased shoe-boxfuls of blocks of old unused U.S. postage stamps at auctions and from dealers.

Everybody seems to be in the habit of saving interesting things, with some vague notion that some day, they'll be worth something.  And these auctions were generally of people recently deceased who during the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s, collected blocks of unused postage stamps.

Being a coin collector, and a stamp collector, I am intimately familiar with the market prices of those commodities, and even though these were old stamps, ancient stamps, well, even during the 1920s, the U.S. Post Office was printing hundreds of millions of them.

Meaning that even though these people had saved such things for 30 or 40 or 50 years, they still weren't worth much (suggestion: if one has collected Bicentennial coins, or the state quarter dollars, spend them; there were so many of them produced they won't ever be worth more than face-value).

The postage rate at the time (the 1980s) was circa 24 cents, meaning I had to attach anywhere between eight and twelve stamps on each envelope (I got into the habit of using business-sized envelopes), stamps whose face value ranged from one-half cent to 1.25 cents to 2.5 cents, on up to three cents (postage rates changed in 1956; I didn't bother with 4- and 5-cent stamps).

It made each envelope a colorful billboard, all these old stamps.

(It had the added advantage that the envelope caught the eye at its destination, and I invariably got attention.)
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2008, 09:42:55 PM »
One day, uncertain about whether or not some mail needed additional postage, I attached the regular postage onto all of the envelopes, and putting them in a cardboard beer-flat, took them to the post office in Lincoln, to be weighed.

The post office in Lincoln is reasonably large; there were eight counters, and I ended to the one least likely to attract attention, the one at the end.

I inquired of the clerk if the attached postage was correct.

The clerk gave out the stony glaze of a man who has just been shot in the stomach.

"You can't do that," he said; "these aren't American stamps."

Granted, the stamps pre-dated his existence, and mine, but I showed they were in fact American stamps.

"You can't do that," he repeated; "you can't use used stamps for postage."

I showed these were all virgin stamps, never having met a human tongue until mine.

He pursed his lips, and went to get a supervisor.

The supervisor came, looked at me, examined the attached stamps, and then looked at me.

The supervisor then went to get his supervisor.

The supervisor of the supervisor came, looked at me, looked at the mail, and then looked at me.

"They're U.S. postage stamps all right, but where'd you get them?"

I should have shut my mouth, but I commented I bought them at a hefty discount at estate sales and somesuch, and as current U.S. stamps were of little or no artistic merit, I used them instead.

The clerk spoke up; "You're trying to cheat the post office, is that what you're saying?"

apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2008, 09:55:51 PM »
I said absolutely not; the post office had been paid for these stamps, circa 1922 or 1937 or 1951; the post office had gotten full price for these stamps.

The supervisor of the supervisor of the clerk examined more of the stamps.

"You have air-mail stamps (then circa 5 or 7 cents, the 1940s and 1950s), and you can't use stamps made for special services, for regular postage."

I insisted the contrary; he should check his U.S.P.S. rules and regulations; air-mail stamps could be used for regular postage.

"One can't use the old special delivery or certified mail stamps, which were fees, rather than postage, but one can use air-mail stamps, for postage."

The supervisor of the supervisor riffed through the manual, and.....I was right.

In the meantime--this was mid-afternoon, not much going on--people from other counters had noticed the "meeting," and drifted over.  And clerks, from both behind the counters and the back room, came over to look at the array.

There was much examination of me, as if I were being subjected to some sort of autopsy.

"I've seen these before," someone from behind the counter commented; "someone dumps a lot of envelopes like this into the lobby box, and we have to hand-stamp all of them."

"Why do you do this," the exasperated supervisor of the supervisor asked me.

"Because I can," I said; "they're legitimate stamps, properly paid for when they were purchased, unused until I myself put them on, and apparently it's the proper postage for the weight."

It went on and on for a little while, although I suspect those people gathered around were more interested in the vast array of stamps unfamiliar to them, than in any problems I was causing the post office.

{note: there was more dialogue than this in the Omaha World-Herald, but I wrote this from memory, and missed something; for some reason, my late mother and a special delivery stamp--which I had with me, but not attached on an envelope--from the late 1910s arose as a connected subject, but I no longer remember why.}

apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2008, 10:03:26 PM »
"I've seen these before," someone from behind the counter commented; "someone dumps a lot of envelopes like this into the lobby box, and we have to hand-stamp all of them."

That was a great story.  Imagine if that "helpful" person behind the counter hadn't said anything... you would have been there all day.   :-) 

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2008, 12:03:28 AM »

we are kicking CU's ass.  we started with the debate thread, and we are still rocking here.