Author Topic: What exactly is a 'Community Organizer'?  (Read 2720 times)

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
  • Yes, everything you heard about me is true
What exactly is a 'Community Organizer'?
« on: September 11, 2008, 08:32:17 AM »
And what does a 'community organizer' do?

My community doesn't seem to need to be 'organized'. Mostly we just need to be left alone to do our jobs and live our lives.

Do some communities need someone to tell them when to go to work or go to church? More likely when and where to pick up their government checks.

Do they need someone to tell them (as in it takes a village) how to raise their children?

Is  'community organizer'  on the Obamessiah's resume? As much as I hear it from the media they sure seem to think it means something.

If he were just a few years older would he have been a  'community organizer'  and shake down artist like Jesse Jackson?

This whole  'community organizer' is a mindset i just do not understand. Can someone 'splain it to me?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" - George Orwell

Offline Lord Undies

Re: What exactly is a 'Community Organizer'?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 08:37:31 AM »
I already told ya!  Community organizers are the guys who paint the addresses on the curbs.  Nothing organizes a community like street addresses.  It is fundamental in the process.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 08:50:58 AM »
In the old days, they were called "gadflies."
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline SaintLouieWoman

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 10:58:04 AM »

Or Acorn workers.  :whatever:

I don't need a community organizer, either. I just need to go to work and collect my pay, do whatever volunteer work that I decide to do, and live my life.

Greyt post, Halo.

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 12:44:27 PM »

I don't need a community organizer, either. I just need to go to work and collect my pay, do whatever volunteer work that I decide to do, and live my life.

Greyt post, Halo.

And what really irks me are all the libs saying that 2 years as a governor isnt qualification to be VP. But 3 years as a senator is? And he has spent 2 of those years running for president. A governor has many thousands of employees and a senator has maybe a few dozen at most? Hell, the mayor of a small town has more managerial experience than a senator...oh wait....

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" - George Orwell

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 12:51:09 PM »

Greyt post, Halo.

exactly.  this particular community organizer concentrated on voter registration . . . which he later relied upon, among various other questionable mechanisms, to get elected to the state senate.

we knocked this one around pretty extensively during the primaries.  we had no clue what a community organizer did either. :-)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 01:25:25 PM »
What exactly is a 'Community Organizer'?

According to an authority on the subject, quoted recently in the Democrat Propaganda Ministry, it's a racist term for a black man.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 04:37:39 PM »

Or "Leeches."
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 04:06:22 AM »

A community organizer is someone whom keeps a flock of sheep sufficiently aggitated, mobilized, and angst ridden against misdirected notions.  All so they can be fleeced by the wolves, for their own purposes.

At least... that was my answer in a uni class earlier this week.

I am surprised your professor and classmates didn't tar and feather you for such an egregious statement. Good job!

Offline Lanie

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 04:57:36 AM »

My community doesn't seem to need to be 'organized'. Mostly we just need to be left alone to do our jobs and live our lives.

Do some communities need someone to tell them when to go to work or go to church? More likely when and where to pick up their government checks.

Do they need someone to tell them (as in it takes a village) how to raise their children?

Is  'community organizer'  on the Obamessiah's resume? As much as I hear it from the media they sure seem to think it means something.

If he were just a few years older would he have been a  'community organizer'  and shake down artist like Jesse Jackson?

This whole  'community organizer' is a mindset i just do not understand. Can someone 'splain it to me?

It's mostly on behalf of a particular cause. For example, somebody might organize the community to help set up a neighborhood watch. Another for protests. Another for religion related stuff. A community organizer is not a bad thing. I love how some have tried to turn it into a dirty word.
Happy Upcoming July 4th. Our country is still one of the best in the world.

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 05:56:07 AM »
It's mostly on behalf of a particular cause. For example, somebody might organize the community to help set up a neighborhood watch. Another for protests. Another for religion related stuff. A community organizer is not a bad thing. I love how some have tried to turn it into a dirty word.
You can dance around the definition all you want but the truth is that "community organizers" is a dirty phrase and dates back to agitator Saul Alinsky.
"Have Trouble Will Travel":
http://www.prrac.org/full_text.php?text_id=964&item_id=8814&newsletter_id=0&header=Community+Organizing

Did you you know the voter fraud organization ACORN is considered a "community organizer" group?
No wonder you have so many bitch slaps Lanie.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 11:27:03 AM »
To the Editor:
Anybody can be president

The candidacy of Sarah Palin gives new meaning to the grand old American slogan that ‘In this country anybody can become president.’

Just add for emphasis that maturity doesn’t matter, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, nor stability, nor mind, nor relevant experience, nor does demonstrated judgment matter.

The clear message is that ANYBODY can be, even ought to be, president.

Palin contends that her brief experience as Alaskan Governor trumps Obama’s dedication as a community organizer. This is a ludicrous argument: We might do well to remind ourselves that Jesus Christ was a community organizer and Pontius Pilate was a governor.

Ernest Campbell

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=62794

The worship of the obamassiah continues...   :whatever:

Offline Lanie

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 12:59:39 PM »
You can dance around the definition all you want but the truth is that "community organizers" is a dirty phrase and dates back to agitator Saul Alinsky.
"Have Trouble Will Travel":
http://www.prrac.org/full_text.php?text_id=964&item_id=8814&newsletter_id=0&header=Community+Organizing

Did you you know the voter fraud organization ACORN is considered a "community organizer" group?
No wonder you have so many bitch slaps Lanie.

Your article appears to be discussing organizing groups for activism for self-interest ideas. I'm failing to see the problem with that.

(Covers head for the BSs).

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 01:09:07 PM »
A "community organizer" is someone who works with an elected democrat public official to get an appropriation of public funds, for some kind of liberal feelgood cause. When he receives the public funds, the "community organizer" then splits the money with the elected democrat public official. Both men prosper. It is the mother's milk of Chicago politics.

Offline Uhhuh35

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 01:12:25 PM »
Your article appears to be discussing organizing groups for activism for self-interest ideas. I'm failing to see the problem with that.
From my link:
On the other hand, the remaining national network of community organizing groups, the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN)
ACORN, a community organizer, is a voter fraud group.
http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/4784
In Artful Dodger style, Barack Obama, plays down his mentorship with Communist author Saul Alinsky.  But Alinsky’s son, L. David Alinsky, credits Obama for “learning his lesson well” from the Communist guru.
It is a fact that activist-cum senator Barack Hussein Obama started off his career as an activist with a position as a community organizer for the Developing Communities Project (DCP) of the Calumet Community Religious conference (CCRC) in Chicago. Both the CCRC and the DCP were built on the Alinsky model of community agitation, wherein paid organizers learned, in Alinsky’s own words, how to “rub raw the sores of discontent”.
Obama wasn't a community organizer, he was a community agitator. But apparently you have no problem with that do you?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline Lanie

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 01:19:07 PM »
From my link:
On the other hand, the remaining national network of community organizing groups, the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN)
ACORN, a community organizer, is a voter fraud group.
http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/4784
In Artful Dodger style, Barack Obama, plays down his mentorship with Communist author Saul Alinsky.  But Alinsky’s son, L. David Alinsky, credits Obama for “learning his lesson well” from the Communist guru.
It is a fact that activist-cum senator Barack Hussein Obama started off his career as an activist with a position as a community organizer for the Developing Communities Project (DCP) of the Calumet Community Religious conference (CCRC) in Chicago. Both the CCRC and the DCP were built on the Alinsky model of community agitation, wherein paid organizers learned, in Alinsky’s own words, how to “rub raw the sores of discontent”.
Obama wasn't a community organizer, he was a community agitator. But apparently you have no problem with that do you?

Community organizing has gone on long before Alinsky was born. While those two groups supposedly built it on his "model", I see no evidence that he's involved, but I'll have to read further.

Offline DarkHalo

• Wannabe Photographer
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 01:25:17 PM »

It IS a dirty word. I do not need anyone 'organizing' anything in my neighborhood on my behalf.

This sort of thing only encourages dependency. But then again maybe thats the whole point.

Offline Lanie

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 01:28:47 PM »
So I went for a basic definition, and there's no better place than wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_organizing

Notice they discuss things before Alinski.

Organized community groups attempt to influence government, corporations and institutions as well as achieve increased direct representation within decision-making bodies and social reform. Where negotiations fail, these organizations seek to inform others outside of the organization of the issues being addressed and expose or pressure the decision-makers through a variety of means, including picketing, boycotting, sit-ins, petitioning, and electoral politics.

Technically, this could be stuff to help out the poor. It could also be people trying to get organized prayer back into schools, to get abortion outlawed, to get an amendment against gay marriage, etc. I wonder how many people from Focus and the Right to Life organization were like "Hey!" when the RNC insulted organizers.  :rotf:

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 02:04:15 PM »
John Gatti was a community organizer, Teddy Roosevelt was a governor.

The funny thing about the whole "Jesus was a community organizer" meme is that it's being promoted by a lot of people who aren't practicing Christians, but damned few who are.  Interesting paradox, there. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 02:27:33 PM »

You only find community organizers in the inner city.  We all know them as race pimps and whores.  They get a bunc of people all excited about how 'da man is givvin' thenm the shaft, then go down to City Hall and get on the microphone and threaten "do things my way or we will react violently."

Jessei jackson is a community organizer.  al sharpton is a community organizer.  the weather underground were community organizers.

And even if community organizer wasn't an epithet, being one does NOT make one ready for the most important job in the world.  As Governor Palin said (paraphrasing), "community organizer" is like an elected official with no responsibilities.  That statement can not be challenged.

Offline Uhhuh35

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 03:47:15 PM »
Technically, this could be stuff to help out the poor. It could also be people trying to get organized prayer back into schools, to get abortion outlawed, to get an amendment against gay marriage, etc. I wonder how many people from Focus and the Right to Life organization were like "Hey!" when the RNC insulted organizers.  :rotf:
"Stuff" to help the poor huh? What a joke, more like "help elected officials".
Do you even read your own links Lanie?:
Alinsky's Influence
Many important community and labor organizers came from the "Alinsky School," including Ed Chambers and Tom Gaudette. Fred Ross, who worked for Alinsky, was the principal mentor for Cesar Chavez and Dolores Huerta. Alinsky formed the Industrial Areas Foundation in 1940. Chambers became its Executive Director after Alinsky died. Since its formation, hundreds of professional community and labor organizers and thousands of community and labor leaders have attended its workshops. Also, several prominent national leaders have been influenced by Alinsky's teachings. [5]

* Ed Chambers[1]
    * Tom Gaudette
    * Fred Ross[6]
    * Cesar Chavez[5]
    * Dolores Huerta
    * Michael Gecan
    * Barack Obama[7] (Hmm, sounds familiar don't he?)
    * Andrew Vachss
    * Patrick Crowley[8]
You should also read, or have someone read to you, the following; Rules for Radicals by Saul Alinski:
http://www.geocities.com/WallStreet/8925/alinsky.htm
    RULE 1: "Power is not only what you have, but what the enemy thinks you have." Power is derived from 2 main sources - money and people. "Have-Nots" must build power from flesh and blood. (These are two things of which there is a plentiful supply. Government and corporations always have a difficult time appealing to people, and usually do so almost exclusively with economic arguments.)

RULE 2: "Never go outside the expertise of your people." It results in confusion, fear and retreat. Feeling secure adds to the backbone of anyone. (Organizations under attack wonder why radicals don't address the "real" issues. This is why. They avoid things with which they have no knowledge.)

RULE 3: "Whenever possible, go outside the expertise of the enemy." Look for ways to increase insecurity, anxiety and uncertainty. (This happens all the time. Watch how many organizations under attack are blind-sided by seemingly irrelevant arguments that they are then forced to address.)

RULE 4: "Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules." If the rule is that every letter gets a reply, send 30,000 letters. You can kill them with this because no one can possibly obey all of their own rules. (This is a serious rule. The besieged entity's very credibility and reputation is at stake, because if activists catch it lying or not living up to its commitments, they can continue to chip away at the damage.)

RULE 5: "Ridicule is man's most potent weapon." There is no defense. It's irrational. It's infuriating. It also works as a key pressure point to force the enemy into concessions. (Pretty crude, rude and mean, huh? They want to create anger and fear.)

RULE 6: "A good tactic is one your people enjoy." They'll keep doing it without urging and come back to do more. They're doing their thing, and will even suggest better ones. (Radical activists, in this sense, are no different that any other human being. We all avoid "un-fun" activities, and but we revel at and enjoy the ones that work and bring results.)

RULE 7: "A tactic that drags on too long becomes a drag." Don't become old news. (Even radical activists get bored. So to keep them excited and involved, organizers are constantly coming up with new tactics.)

RULE 8: "Keep the pressure on. Never let up." Keep trying new things to keep the opposition off balance. As the opposition masters one approach, hit them from the flank with something new. (Attack, attack, attack from all sides, never giving the reeling organization a chance to rest, regroup, recover and re-strategize.)

RULE 9: "The threat is usually more terrifying than the thing itself." Imagination and ego can dream up many more consequences than any activist. (Perception is reality. Large organizations always prepare a worst-case scenario, something that may be furthest from the activists' minds. The upshot is that the organization will expend enormous time and energy, creating in its own collective mind the direst of conclusions. The possibilities can easily poison the mind and result in demoralization.)

RULE 10: "If you push a negative hard enough, it will push through and become a positive." Violence from the other side can win the public to your side because the public sympathizes with the underdog. (Unions used this tactic. Peaceful [albeit loud] demonstrations during the heyday of unions in the early to mid-20th Century incurred management's wrath, often in the form of violence that eventually brought public sympathy to their side.)

RULE 11: "The price of a successful attack is a constructive alternative." Never let the enemy score points because you're caught without a solution to the problem. (Old saw: If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Activist organizations have an agenda, and their strategy is to hold a place at the table, to be given a forum to wield their power. So, they have to have a compromise solution.)

RULE 12: Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it." Cut off the support network and isolate the target from sympathy. Go after people and not institutions; people hurt faster than institutions. (This is cruel, but very effective. Direct, personalized criticism and ridicule works.)

— Albert Einstein.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 05:11:39 PM »
^ :lalala:
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Lanie

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 07:08:24 PM »
"Stuff" to help the poor huh? What a joke, more like "help elected officials".
Do you even read your own links Lanie?:
Alinsky's Influence
Many important community and labor organizers came from the "Alinsky School," including Ed Chambers and Tom Gaudette. Fred Ross, who worked for Alinsky, was the principal mentor for Cesar Chavez and Dolores Huerta. Alinsky formed the Industrial Areas Foundation in 1940. Chambers became its Executive Director after Alinsky died. Since its formation, hundreds of professional community and labor organizers and thousands of community and labor leaders have attended its workshops. Also, several prominent national leaders have been influenced by Alinsky's teachings. [5]

* Ed Chambers[1]
    * Tom Gaudette
    * Fred Ross[6]
    * Cesar Chavez[5]
    * Dolores Huerta
    * Michael Gecan
    * Barack Obama[7] (Hmm, sounds familiar don't he?)
    * Andrew Vachss
    * Patrick Crowley[8]
You should also read, or have someone read to you, the following; Rules for Radicals by Saul Alinski:
http://www.geocities.com/WallStreet/8925/alinsky.htm
    RULE 1: "Power is not only what you have, but what the enemy thinks you have." Power is derived from 2 main sources - money and people. "Have-Nots" must build power from flesh and blood. (These are two things of which there is a plentiful supply. Government and corporations always have a difficult time appealing to people, and usually do so almost exclusively with economic arguments.)

RULE 2: "Never go outside the expertise of your people." It results in confusion, fear and retreat. Feeling secure adds to the backbone of anyone. (Organizations under attack wonder why radicals don't address the "real" issues. This is why. They avoid things with which they have no knowledge.)

RULE 3: "Whenever possible, go outside the expertise of the enemy." Look for ways to increase insecurity, anxiety and uncertainty. (This happens all the time. Watch how many organizations under attack are blind-sided by seemingly irrelevant arguments that they are then forced to address.)

RULE 4: "Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules." If the rule is that every letter gets a reply, send 30,000 letters. You can kill them with this because no one can possibly obey all of their own rules. (This is a serious rule. The besieged entity's very credibility and reputation is at stake, because if activists catch it lying or not living up to its commitments, they can continue to chip away at the damage.)

RULE 5: "Ridicule is man's most potent weapon." There is no defense. It's irrational. It's infuriating. It also works as a key pressure point to force the enemy into concessions. (Pretty crude, rude and mean, huh? They want to create anger and fear.)

RULE 6: "A good tactic is one your people enjoy." They'll keep doing it without urging and come back to do more. They're doing their thing, and will even suggest better ones. (Radical activists, in this sense, are no different that any other human being. We all avoid "un-fun" activities, and but we revel at and enjoy the ones that work and bring results.)

RULE 7: "A tactic that drags on too long becomes a drag." Don't become old news. (Even radical activists get bored. So to keep them excited and involved, organizers are constantly coming up with new tactics.)

RULE 8: "Keep the pressure on. Never let up." Keep trying new things to keep the opposition off balance. As the opposition masters one approach, hit them from the flank with something new. (Attack, attack, attack from all sides, never giving the reeling organization a chance to rest, regroup, recover and re-strategize.)

RULE 9: "The threat is usually more terrifying than the thing itself." Imagination and ego can dream up many more consequences than any activist. (Perception is reality. Large organizations always prepare a worst-case scenario, something that may be furthest from the activists' minds. The upshot is that the organization will expend enormous time and energy, creating in its own collective mind the direst of conclusions. The possibilities can easily poison the mind and result in demoralization.)

RULE 10: "If you push a negative hard enough, it will push through and become a positive." Violence from the other side can win the public to your side because the public sympathizes with the underdog. (Unions used this tactic. Peaceful [albeit loud] demonstrations during the heyday of unions in the early to mid-20th Century incurred management's wrath, often in the form of violence that eventually brought public sympathy to their side.)

RULE 11: "The price of a successful attack is a constructive alternative." Never let the enemy score points because you're caught without a solution to the problem. (Old saw: If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Activist organizations have an agenda, and their strategy is to hold a place at the table, to be given a forum to wield their power. So, they have to have a compromise solution.)

RULE 12: Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it." Cut off the support network and isolate the target from sympathy. Go after people and not institutions; people hurt faster than institutions. (This is cruel, but very effective. Direct, personalized criticism and ridicule works.)

I read my own links and other stuff. It says that community organizing existed before Alinsky.

I also thought this thread was about community organizing and not Alinsky. My bad.

If it's all about Alinsky and Obama being influenced by him, then just say so. I'd feel better if the RNC had said so.

Offline Uhhuh35

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2008, 07:50:39 PM »
I read my own links and other stuff. It says that community organizing existed before Alinsky.
I also thought this thread was about community organizing and not Alinsky. My bad.
If it's all about Alinsky and Obama being influenced by him, then just say so. I'd feel better if the RNC had said so.
Oh yeah, like I'm an RNC McCainbot right? Awaiting orders and incapable of independent thought huh?
Although I just discovered them recently so I'm not fluent in them yet, I believe your answer fits rule #5?
— Albert Einstein.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2008, 07:52:18 PM »
Isn't a community organizer another word for "homeless person who's vote can be bought for a couple of packs of cigarettes?"

Or would that be the person buying the vote of the homeless?

Or could it be both?
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey