Author Topic: Copy Machines: a Security Risk ???  (Read 2774 times)

Offline namvet

Copy Machines: a Security Risk ???
« on: June 05, 2011, 10:36:30 AM »
these machines are of course used in all business's today. but i never knew they had a HD that can store 1,000 of docs loaded with personal info. and be recovered.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM6R4gi8Q9Q[/youtube]

so should they be resold or trashed??? how great is the risk???

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY

Offline CG6468

Re: Copy Machines: a Security Risk ???
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 12:38:55 PM »
Can they be wiped clean of all memory?
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 12:43:34 PM »
There are utilities available that are similar to what the DOD requires to wipe drives containing classified information.  I suppose if someone wants something bad enough, there is probably a way to reverse it but I haven't found it.  Can't say I've gone looking for it, though.  It is possible (even if it's a very remote possibility) of recovering information from a disk that has been wiped clean depending on how it was done.

The data doesn't actually go away during a regular formatting and as long as it hasn't been overwritten by another file, there are plenty of off-the-shelf programs that can retrieve everything on the disk.  I've done it plenty of times at work with varying success.

Hard drives are cheap and can be physically destroyed as well.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 12:51:40 PM by chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline namvet

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 01:04:30 PM »
Can they be wiped clean of all memory?

according to vid yes. but most machines are left with the data installed. that's the problem.

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 01:27:24 PM »
In the "you get what you pay for" category copiers, like most come in a few tiers. Top tier manufactures typically use proprietary file formats that make it nearly impossible to gather that latent data.  Bottom tier copiers are basically controlled by windows and likely store internal data as standard image files.

All copier companies have either standard or optional data wiping and / or encryption programs that make it that much more difficult to get data out of the machine. Up until that video most companies typically said no to paying for the extra security.  Now they are.  As mentioned above if you are worried about the data that may be on the machines in your office just ask the vendor what the cost is to remove the hard drive and then you can destroy it yourself.  Cost to remove and reinstall a new hard drive (leasing companies require copiers to be functional when they are returned) should be between $250-$650 and can be rolled into the new lease. 
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline namvet

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 01:56:17 PM »
wonder if consumer printers have one ???

no matter to me. when mine craps out im taking a large claw hammer to it anyway

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 02:12:46 PM »
wonder if consumer printers have one ???

no matter to me. when mine craps out im taking a large claw hammer to it anyway

No, printers use flash memory, as do small desktop size copiers. Commercial grade printers have a HD option that would pose the same risks but are not generally installed.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.