Author Topic: I was just braggin' on my computers.....  (Read 3819 times)

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
I was just braggin' on my computers.....
« on: February 05, 2009, 04:16:49 PM »
and one of them started giving me problems. It loads into windows for about 30 secs to a minute and then reboots or it'll get into windows and just lock up. Safe mode doesn't load, either. It was working fine this morning/ yesterday.  :argh:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: I was just braggin' on my computers.....
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 04:44:05 PM »
Possibly the vid card or the PS crapped out. It may also be one of those new worms out there. It corrupts windows big time.

*edit*

If need be, wipe the HD and re load Windows if it's not a hardware problem.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 04:46:40 PM by Wineslob »
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 05:21:41 PM »
doesn't appear to be a hardware problem. If I got a bug, it's a sneaky pete. Trend didn't catch it.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 05:54:44 PM »
Have you tried replacing the battery?

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 06:30:51 PM »
It's looking like a virus...... :( :(

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 07:22:06 PM »
If you find it not to be a virus, download and use this

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Run it for a couple of hours on a loop.

What you described are symptoms that can also be exhibited if memory is faulty (including memory on Video hardware).

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 07:49:55 PM »
If you find it not to be a virus, download and use this

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Run it for a couple of hours on a loop.

What you described are symptoms that can also be exhibited if memory is faulty (including memory on Video hardware).

Yeah, plenty of hardware that could be creating problems. I just might find a hdd that's empty and re-install the OS just to see. I have one empty one around here.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 04:05:20 PM »
Never did figure out the problem, but SPTD.SYS from Daemon Tools was definitely one of the problems.  Not only that, but my other two desktops also crashed!!!  :banghead: :banghead: One was the onboard video card had died and the other one I had to reinstall the OS. I've been pretty into geek stuff the last 24 hrs. ......

The one with the dead onboard video may be a dead bios battery. I dunno. I may have to check that out.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 04:07:21 PM by Thor »

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 09:08:21 PM »
Never did figure out the problem, but SPTD.SYS from Daemon Tools was definitely one of the problems.  Not only that, but my other two desktops also crashed!!!  :banghead: :banghead: One was the onboard video card had died and the other one I had to reinstall the OS. I've been pretty into geek stuff the last 24 hrs. ......

The one with the dead onboard video may be a dead bios battery. I dunno. I may have to check that out.

Far better to replace a $2.00 battery than replacing a mainboard or spending on a VC.