Author Topic: NC Style BBQ sauce  (Read 12534 times)

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
NC Style BBQ sauce
« on: May 29, 2017, 02:15:56 PM »
FunkyZero's personal recipe.
This is my default for pulled pork. It's an excellent thin sauce for topping sammichez. Keep in mind, I like it on the sweeter side, although sweet is not how to describe this one).
This is a tart/hot/sweet mix. It has that  creep-up-on-you warmth that doesn't blister your tongue and make you suffer, but it is richly warm. No bite.
It's cheap and fast, try it sometime for giggles. I put it in a restaurant style ketchup squirt bottle after it cools down and sprinkle it on anything pork.

========================
    2 cups cider vinegar
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1 packed cup  brown sugar, or more to taste (it's moderately sweet with one cup)
    5 teaspoons salt
    8 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon ground white pepper

Put it all in a sauce pan and mix, heat on very low heat for about 1/2 hour. Remember, sugar! Keep stirring it frequently with a whisk.
I usually strain the red pepper flakes out and discard after it's cooked well. I suppose you could leave them in if you like that.

Tell me what you think... everyone here loves the stuff

Offline freedumb2003b

Re: NC Style BBQ sauce
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 04:22:09 PM »
Until I visited NC in my 30s I had never even heard of vinegar-based BBQ. 

Like sweet tea, chicken and waffles, bacon in maple syrup and other food oddities, it is a localism I just couldn't really understand, and all are weird to me.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 07:03:56 PM »
Until I visited NC in my 30s I had never even heard of vinegar-based BBQ. 

Like sweet tea, chicken and waffles, bacon in maple syrup and other food oddities, it is a localism I just couldn't really understand, and all are weird to me.

you really should try it at least once.
I felt the same way about it.. until I tasted it on a juicy pulled pork sandwich. OMG I can't eat pulled pork without it now

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 07:17:33 PM »
you really should try it at least once.
I felt the same way about it.. until I tasted it on a juicy pulled pork sandwich. OMG I can't eat pulled pork without it now

I have tried all these things.  I would not opine otherwise.

Just not for me.  Perhaps my So Cal palate just isn't that cosmopolitan.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 11:48:18 PM »
I have tried all these things.  I would not opine otherwise.

Just not for me.  Perhaps my So Cal palate just isn't that cosmopolitan.

haha...
well, we're talking vinegar and red pepper so if you aren't into extremes, it's definitely not for you

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 11:09:37 AM »
That's Lexington style sauce for the western NC hippies who only cook the shoulders.  Real NC BBQ sauce is from the eastern salt of the earth folks that cook the whole hog.

Apple cider vinegar
black pepper
white pepper
crushed red pepper
salt.

Add to your own tasting.  Let it mingle for at least 4 hours  Vinegar is in the base of most eastern NC folks food pyramid.
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 01:50:24 PM »
That's Lexington style sauce for the western NC hippies who only cook the shoulders.  Real NC BBQ sauce is from the eastern salt of the earth folks that cook the whole hog.

Apple cider vinegar
black pepper
white pepper
crushed red pepper
salt.

Add to your own tasting.  Let it mingle for at least 4 hours  Vinegar is in the base of most eastern NC folks food pyramid.

That was roughly the basic recipe I started out with.
I found it lacking a little bit in supportive flavors, plus the consistency was too thin for some purposes. Plus.. I like the sweet facets of about everything. Even wine (which draws lots of frowns usually). It wasn't very popular in it's original form either. I was the only one who would use it. Sometimes I like to leave the ketchup out of it too when I want something a little more basic.
I use it all very sparingly though, I don't like so much that it starts taking over the flavor of the meat I busted ass all day smoking. Just a sprinkle or so.
... plus now someone (sorta) called me a hippie! that's never happened before! hehe

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 05:55:31 PM »
Try Scott's BBQ sauce.  Basic ENC sauce
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Karin

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 07:04:24 PM »
Never mind that So Cal guy up there, I had a business visit to NC, and the people there staged a BBQ in someone's backyard, with a similar sauce.  It was delicious!  Love it.  Thanks for the recipe.   And how nice was that to have a little party in the backyard instead of trooping to a restaurant?  I was utterly charmed.  I love Southerners.   :heart:..

Edit:  Posted to Facebook, hope you don't mind the steal for my friends.  :-)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 07:11:45 PM by Karin »

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 11:06:54 PM »
Was just in NC for a week over Thanksgiving. Will try this sauce!

Thanks!