Author Topic: I just had a YAG laser in my eyeball  (Read 4545 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
I just had a YAG laser in my eyeball
« on: September 17, 2012, 03:19:56 PM »
 :panic:

I had a cataract in my right eye from years of steroid eye drop use for uveitis. Earlier this year I had cataract surgery in my right eye (my left eye never gets uveitis and my vision in that eye is perfect...knock on wood). You get a "secondary cataract" after cataract removal, which isn't really a cataract because your lens is removed in cataract surgery.  It's actually the bag that holds the lens that gets cloudy after cataract surgery. My opthamologist told me that every cataract procedure caused from uveitis almost always ends up with a "secondary cataract".

I have known I had one for several months and it was confirmed by two prior doctor visits. Your vision slowly starts to look like it did before cataract surgery.  I was afraid to do it even though it is pain free and relatively safe. I made the appointment last week then Friday thought I had UVeitis, if you read my "I'm an idiot" post you will see where I accidently put in dilating drops instead of steroid drops. I kept my appointment today anyway because even if he couldn't do the YAG laser he could confirm the uveitis and let me know if I need to up the steroid drops.

He confirmed I had UVeitis (+1 inflammation) but said it was ok to have the procedure. First they do this one test where you stare at this asterisk like shape in this machine (I can't remember what this test is called or what it does), next a vision test, then they take the pressure in your eye, they would have dilated my eye next but my eye was still dilated from Fridays "oops". Then the doctor looked at my eye with a slit lamp, put numbing drops in then he put some goop on a special contact lens with a thing on the end of it that he holds on to in my eye (I think it had some sort of magnifying glass on it).  Then he starts zapping away. It wasn't painful but very strange. He said he was conservative in the amount he took off because he could always do more later if I needed it. He told me to increase my steroid drops for a week then taper over the next week, I have a follow up appointment in two weeks. Because my eye is dilated and because of all the goop he put in my eye I won't see what my final vision will be for a few days and even after that the uveitis and steroid drops blur your vision as well.

Anyway, just wanted to describe the procedure incase someone else here ends up having to have it done. I stressed for days for nothing really.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: I just had a YAG laser in my eyeball
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 04:56:10 PM »
Good luck, BEG. Anything associated with the eye makes me nervous. Am considering lasik surgery, but I dunno.....
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 04:59:27 PM »
Dang girl! I admire how you deal with this stuff. I am such a wuss.

Let us know how you're feeling ok?
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Undies

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 05:53:50 PM »
I had it done to both eyes last December/January.  I had dreaded and fretted about it for months.  I don't know why, but the idea of it really scared me.

But....it was nothing.  It was easier than getting my toenails clipped.

I don't know why I acted the way I did.  I'm a  :mental:  :loser:

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 06:02:22 PM »
Just reading about what BEG has done to her eyes, makes my stomach flip-flop!! I don't know how you stand it BEG!

I would either be throwing up or passing out!  :panic: :panic: :panic:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 07:21:52 PM »
I had it done to both eyes last December/January.  I had dreaded and fretted about it for months.  I don't know why, but the idea of it really scared me.

But....it was nothing.  It was easier than getting my toenails clipped.

I don't know why I acted the way I did.  I'm a  :mental:  :loser:

I was actually more nervous about the laser than I was about my cataract surgery.

Offline Undies

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 08:31:33 PM »
I was actually more nervous about the laser than I was about my cataract surgery.

I swear.  Me too! 

Isn't that odd?

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 08:43:18 PM »
I swear.  Me too! 

Isn't that odd?

I think because the cataract was getting so bad that I figured anything is better than it was at the time.  The "secondary cataract" wasn't as bad as my cataract and the thought of a laser going into my eye scared me to the point I feared for my eyesight.

How long did it take after you had the laser treatment before you could see better?

Offline Undies

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 08:53:28 PM »
I think because the cataract was getting so bad that I figured anything is better than it was at the time.  The "secondary cataract" wasn't as bad as my cataract and the thought of a laser going into my eye scared me to the point I feared for my eyesight.

How long did it take after you had the laser treatment before you could see better?

I walked out of the clinic seeing better.  My "build-up" was not too bad. 

My original cataract surgery was the amazing transformation.  I had no idea the sky was still crystal blue.  I though pollution had colored the sky with a permanent greenish tint.  I didn't realize how I was seeing all colors through yellow lenses. 

Ha ha.  It turns out the paint color I chose for our dining area is a lot more blue than I had wanted.   

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 09:03:51 PM »
I walked out of the clinic seeing better.  My "build-up" was not too bad. 

My original cataract surgery was the amazing transformation.  I had no idea the sky was still crystal blue.  I though pollution had colored the sky with a permanent greenish tint.  I didn't realize how I was seeing all colors through yellow lenses. 

Ha ha.  It turns out the paint color I chose for our dining area is a lot more blue than I had wanted.   

I noticed the difference in colors too even though I only had one cataract. Pretty funny about your dinning area paint color.  :rotf:

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 12:03:58 PM »
How is your eye doing? I don't know how you remember all this information you post, pretty interesting stuff. I hope you are feeling better. :-)

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 02:35:01 PM »
How is your eye doing? I don't know how you remember all this information you post, pretty interesting stuff. I hope you are feeling better. :-)

My eye is STILL slightly dilated a week later and my vision is a little better but I have a large floater (from before the laser) that still gets in my way. I think my eye doctor is going to have to laser me again at my next appointment in a week.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 04:14:02 PM »
 :bawl:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 04:40:31 PM »
:bawl:

It didn't hurt Deb, I was so anxious but this time I wont be afraid.  :wink: