Author Topic: Hydrocodone and a rash  (Read 17455 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Hydrocodone and a rash
« on: August 24, 2012, 03:09:15 PM »
Back when I lived in CA my rheumatologist prescribed me hydrocodone for these really terrible headaches I was having regularly. They felt like the top of my brain was swelling. The headaches eventually went away for the most part so I stopped taking them.

So I have quite a few left over and have taken some over the past two years when I got a headache that wouldn't go away. I have gotten a slight rash on my chest but nothing terrible in the past but didn't connect the two until today.

Last night just before my husband got home I started getting a terrible stabbing pain in my ear, behind my ear and slightly above it. It radiated down my neck (on the right side). It wouldn't go away so I took a hydrocodone. About an hour later I started getting a rash, later that night the rash was on my arms. I woke up this morning and the rash was still there but it had started to go away. My ear, head and neck still hurt. The pain actually woke me up several times. I decided to take another one this morning, OMG the rash came back worse and is spreading down my arms to my wrists and I have a few bumps on my face.  :panic:

I am not going to take another one but has anyone had anything similar happen when they have taken hydrocodone?  I have slathered cortisone 10 on the areas but it isn't helping much. I also recently started a new medication to replace the methotrexate and one of the side effects is a rash so I don't know if it could be that. I would think after a couple days of not taking the hydrocodone would tell me if it is the hydrocodone or something else.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 03:16:43 PM by BEG »

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
Re: Re: Hydrocodone and a rash
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 03:13:21 PM »
Call your doctor.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 03:14:36 PM »

Offline cavegal

Re: Hydrocodone and a rash
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 03:16:35 PM »
Agree call your doctor. Yet if I remember correctly when I took Hydrocodone back in the day for various injury's, rash was a side effect.

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline cavegal

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 03:17:23 PM »
I don't wanna
  I think knowing you from this forum you must have seached rash  online?

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline cavegal

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 03:20:44 PM »
Back when I lived in CA my rheumatologist prescribed me hydrocodone for these really terrible headaches I was having regularly. They felt like the top of my brain was swelling. The headaches eventually went away for the most part so I stopped taking them.

So I have quite a few left over and have taken some over the past two years when I got a headache that wouldn't go away. I have gotten a slight rash on my chest but nothing terrible in the past but didn't connect the two until today.

Last night just before my husband got home I started getting a terrible stabbing pain in my ear, behind my ear and slightly above it. It radiated down my neck (on the right side). It wouldn't go away so I took a hydrocodone. About an hour later I started getting a rash, later that night the rash was on my arms. I woke up this morning and the rash was still there but it had started to go away. My ear, head and neck still hurt. The pain actually woke me up several times. I decided to take another one this morning, OMG the rash came back worse and is spreading down my arms to my wrists and I have a few bumps on my face.  :panic:

I am not going to take another one but has anyone had anything similar happen when they have taken hydrocodone?  I have slathered cortisone 10 on the areas but it isn't helping much. I also recently started a new medication to replace the methotrexate and one of the side effects is a rash so I don't know if it could be that. I would think after a couple days of not taking the hydrocodone would tell me if it is the hydrocodone or something else.

I restarted my methotrexate last week, boy my side effect lasted 1 hour, same for today I took my dose and 1hr later the same side effects for 1hr. Rash wasn't part of it.   May I ask the name of the med  you are replacing methotrexte with?

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 04:01:39 PM »
I restarted my methotrexate last week, boy my side effect lasted 1 hour, same for today I took my dose and 1hr later the same side effects for 1hr. Rash wasn't part of it.   May I ask the name of the med  you are replacing methotrexte with?

Arava generic Leflunomide. So far I feel pretty good on it. You have to take it every day vs once a week on methotrexate.

I know that a rash is a side effect of hydrocodone but I was just curious if anyone else has had it happen. I don't have any other side effects that show I'm having an allergic reaction, just this annoyingly itchy rash.

Offline SaintLouieWoman

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 11:35:38 PM »
Arava generic Leflunomide. So far I feel pretty good on it. You have to take it every day vs once a week on methotrexate.

I know that a rash is a side effect of hydrocodone but I was just curious if anyone else has had it happen. I don't have any other side effects that show I'm having an allergic reaction, just this annoyingly itchy rash.

I took it when I had the knee surgery. I had all kinds of other side effects, but a rash wasn't one of them. It just bothered me so much that I decided to tough out the pain (not immediately after the surgery, would have been nuts to do that). I hated it so much because had to stock up on stool softeners. It was horrible.

Maybe drinking a lot of water might help, couldn't hurt.

Offline Undies

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 11:42:17 PM »
If you don't want to contact your doctor find a pharmacist to talk with about your concerns.  Pharmacists can be helpful sometimes.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 12:20:13 AM »
If you don't want to contact your doctor find a pharmacist to talk with about your concerns.  Pharmacists can be helpful sometimes.

I took it this am and I can tell that the rash is getting better. I'm positive that it was the hydrocodone now.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 12:21:26 AM »
I took it when I had the knee surgery. I had all kinds of other side effects, but a rash wasn't one of them. It just bothered me so much that I decided to tough out the pain (not immediately after the surgery, would have been nuts to do that). I hated it so much because had to stock up on stool softeners. It was horrible.

Maybe drinking a lot of water might help, couldn't hurt.

I haven't had that issue (knock on wood) probably because I don't take it often.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 10:42:42 AM »
Update for anyone who wants to know, this morning the rash is about 75% better. No bumps on my face and the rest is a lot better.

Offline Undies

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 12:24:23 PM »
Update for anyone who wants to know, this morning the rash is about 75% better. No bumps on my face and the rest is a lot better.

Got any before and after photos?  Especially the bumpy face.  :-*

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 04:53:30 PM »
I am taking hydrocodone cough syrup right now, and no rash, which is surprising as I get a rash simply from typing the word.. Go figure.  Glad you figured it out BEG. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Undies

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 04:57:40 PM »
I am taking hydrocodone cough syrup right now, and no rash, which is surprising as I get a rash simply from typing the word.. Go figure.  Glad you figured it out BEG. 

H5 for NO RASH!

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 02:37:27 AM »
A rash comes from an allergic reaction,or an over burden liver from medicines or toxins. Alkalizing the body has helped many over come the rash side effect. So glad it's better.
There will always be "Battles" to fight.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 06:22:39 AM »
One tip off or clue you gave was that you had allot of the medication left over from 2 yeas ago.

All my medication has a use by date.    When some of this complicated medication gets too far off the date it begins to decompose and can turn into something very nasty.

Sort of like -- [as I was told ] --old ammo  after years becomes either useless or turns into something that in a fire become extremely dangerous   I do not know myself if this is true---we need to ask Nads she should know ALL about this.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 10:06:15 AM »
Can't help you re the rash from the hydrocodone. Can't take the stuff cause I'm allergic to codeine.

However, when my son was little, he got a specific type of pneumonia and at that time, it could only be treated with tetracycline or erythromycin. Because of his age, and still having his baby teeth, the tetracycline was not an option. He was given the erythromycin and "rashed up" within a short period of time. Since there was nothing else he could take, the pediatrician put him on high doses of benedryl to counteracr the allergic reaction to the erythromycin. Kid slept his way through pneumonia!

It's the only thing he's really allergic to, and when he went into the Navy, he had to always make sure he had his red "alert" dog tag on. Erythromycin is commonly used to treat burns. He was threatened with demotion if ever caught without the red dog tag.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 08:48:55 AM »
One tip off or clue you gave was that you had allot of the medication left over from 2 yeas ago.

All my medication has a use by date.    When some of this complicated medication gets too far off the date it begins to decompose and can turn into something very nasty.

Sort of like -- [as I was told ] --old ammo  after years becomes either useless or turns into something that in a fire become extremely dangerous   I do not know myself if this is true---we need to ask Nads she should know ALL about this.

Beg I owe you a big apology for the post I made about old medication.

I did what I know what was wrong with no forethought.    Darn here I was giving advice to you and ignored my own habits.

I have been so stupid, myself and now must confess my sin to all of you.

I F*cked up big time.

I found under the counter in the bath a bottle of moisturising lotion never opened.   No idea how long it had been hiding in the back, for all I know it may have sat there for 5+ years.    Also found some liquid cover up, not opened, and lost my mind and figured I could mix the two with some old unopened sun screen.

Darn, what was I thinking, I mixed the 3 products and slavered it on face and neck.  4 hours later my face and neck became beet  red, began to itch big time and no amount of washing with both hot and cold water helped.    My poor skin began to flake off , almost like the skin does from a bad sun burn.

It will be a few days before I can go out in public, I look like I have some strange disease.

Please from now on pay no attention to any Advice I may give anyone in the future.    Only good thing is the as the old skin falls and peels off the skin under it is fantastic, baby soft and healthier then I have seen it in 30 years.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 09:53:38 PM »
A rash comes from an allergic reaction,or an over burden liver from medicines or toxins. Alkalizing the body has helped many over come the rash side effect. So glad it's better.

Igna, the methotrexate I was on (the doctor took me off it a few weeks ago) can screw your liver. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.  How do you alkalize your body?

Offline CG6468

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 11:31:32 AM »
I don't wanna

Do it. We care about you, BEG. Please call the doctor.

How old is the med, BEG. They do have a shelf life.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2012, 12:18:49 PM »

Bingo. Having worked in the pharma business, I'll trust a pharmacist's judgment about a medication long before I will a doctor's.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, 07:36:44 PM »
Do it. We care about you, BEG. Please call the doctor.

How old is the med, BEG. They do have a shelf life.

The rash is gone. It was prescribed about two years ago. I'm sure that wasn't the issue.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2012, 01:45:06 AM »
The rash is gone. It was prescribed about two years ago. I'm sure that wasn't the issue.

The expiration date is just the last date the manufacturer can guarantee the potency of the medication, it has nothing to do with side effects.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2012, 10:44:45 AM »

The expiration date is just the last date the manufacturer can guarantee the potency of the medication, it has nothing to do with side effects.

And often, the expiration date is based on marketing requirements, not necessarily whether or not the drug loses potency at the point of expiry.

In most cases, stability data provide an indicator of drug potency which the manufacturer will lowball to account for short-dated sales, transportation, and other logistical issues.

Then again, you've got those folks like me who keep OTC and script drugs around for 5-10 years after the damn thing has expired, only because I've forgotten it's in there. (Sorta like dry packaged yeast. You know it's in the fridge, but the package is stuck to the bottom of the fridge shelf from the A1 sauce you knocked over 6 months ago and forgot to clean up.)  :lmao:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.