Author Topic: Went to my rheumatologist appointment today  (Read 5370 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Went to my rheumatologist appointment today
« on: August 06, 2012, 05:14:50 PM »
He took me off methotrexate. It was making me sick several days a week and wasn't keeping my SED rate down. SED rate is one measurement of inflammation in your body. It is suppose to be between 0-20, mine was 27 at my last blood test and 25 the time before. Not hugely high but not good enough.

It also isn't keeping my UVeitis at bay. He switched my medication to Arava (leflunomide). It has some not so fun side effects but I'm willing to give it a try. If it hasn't started working in two months he is going to start a biologic therapy like Remicade by infusion every 6 weeks. I almost want to skip the new medication start the infusions. I am sick of feeling like crap and having my UVeitis continue to come back.

Anyway, I have a positive attitude about switching my medication. It was coming to the point I would cause myself anxiety every time it was time to take the methotrexate (once a week). 

I also took my girls to see Diary Of A Wimpy Kid today. They really liked the first one and really enjoyed this one as well.  It didn't suck setting through it so if you have a kid who wants to go, take them.

Offline cavegal

Re: Went to my rheumatologist appointment today
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 05:21:46 PM »
I hope everything works out for you. I took methotrexate, but cannot afford the blood test.  I last took it Dec 2011. Now I hurt so much I may ask doctor to refill it. 

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »
I hope everything works out for you. I took methotrexate, but cannot afford the blood test.  I last took it Dec 2011. Now I hurt so much I may ask doctor to refill it. 

You can get to the point of getting your blood taken every three months if you do well enough on it for 6 months (I think that is the length of time).

By the way, my last blood tests they didn't file with my insurance and sent me a bill, it cost $258 for all the blood tests. They corrected it and filed with my insurance but I thought I would let you know what the total was.  I don't think the doctor has to do all the tests that he does every time to continue the methotrexate. All you have to have done is the blood cell count and liver test. Added into mine was SED rate and other auto immune tests. Also ask the doctor to refer you to an outside place that does the tests and ask them if you can get a discount for paying cash.

This is terrible that you had to stop a medication that helped you so well because of the cost of the bloodwork. What are you taking now to help you with your arthritis?

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 12:07:35 AM »
He took me off methotrexate. It was making me sick several days a week and wasn't keeping my SED rate down. SED rate is one measurement of inflammation in your body. It is suppose to be between 0-20, mine was 27 at my last blood test and 25 the time before. Not hugely high but not good enough.

It also isn't keeping my UVeitis at bay. He switched my medication to Arava (leflunomide). It has some not so fun side effects but I'm willing to give it a try. If it hasn't started working in two months he is going to start a biologic therapy like Remicade by infusion every 6 weeks. I almost want to skip the new medication start the infusions. I am sick of feeling like crap and having my UVeitis continue to come back.

Anyway, I have a positive attitude about switching my medication. It was coming to the point I would cause myself anxiety every time it was time to take the methotrexate (once a week). 

I also took my girls to see Diary Of A Wimpy Kid today. They really liked the first one and really enjoyed this one as well.  It didn't suck setting through it so if you have a kid who wants to go, take them.

Good Lord. You poor thing, it's always something isn't it? When is it ever going to end? enough already. Thankfully even though I have 10,000 things wrong with me, :whatever: arthritis isn't one of them, at least not at the level you are forced to deal with. I do have gout but as long as I take my med's I can control it. I'm glad because that shit hurts bad. :bawl: Methotrexate? Damn, that sound's worse then the poisons my doctor's prescribe for me. I sure hope you get to feeling better. :-)

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline cavegal

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 12:07:08 PM »
What are you taking now to help you with your arthritis?
Prednisone. Tylenol.

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline cavegal

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 12:09:15 PM »
You can get to the point of getting your blood taken every three months if you do well enough on it for 6 months (I think that is the length of time).

By the way, my last blood tests they didn't file with my insurance and sent me a bill, it cost $258 for all the blood tests. They corrected it and filed with my insurance but I thought I would let you know what the total was.  I don't think the doctor has to do all the tests that he does every time to continue the methotrexate. All you have to have done is the blood cell count and liver test. Added into mine was SED rate and other auto immune tests. Also ask the doctor to refer you to an outside place that does the tests and ask them if you can get a discount for paying cash.

This is terrible that you had to stop a medication that helped you so well because of the cost of the bloodwork. What are you taking now to help you with your arthritis?
One more thing, for some reason my arthritis is worse during Spring, Summer. Winter when we have 5ft of snow it doesn't bother me as much.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 10:15:04 PM »
Prednisone. Tylenol.

I have a love/hate relationship with prednisone but it literally saved my life and I can always run to it when my disease is out of control.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 10:23:57 PM »
My blood work is done every 6 to 7 months. I'm due next week. I am extremely needle shy, too.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 10:25:17 PM »
My blood work is done every 6 to 7 months. I'm due next week. I am extremely needle shy, too.
Don't look at them.

I'm amazed... for all the medical technology we have, sometimes going to the doctor still feels like butchers and leeches.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Undies

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 10:30:47 PM »

Folks like BEG and I laugh at needles.  I go next Thursday for my blood work.  I'm almost two months overdue and I know I'm going to hear about it.

Beg, I so sorry you have to go through so much.  I never question the Lord, but sometimes I put a lot of effort into wondering WHY? and trying to understand why bad things happen to good people.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 02:49:44 AM »
Folks like BEG and I laugh at needles.  I go next Thursday for my blood work.  I'm almost two months overdue and I know I'm going to hear about it.

Beg, I so sorry you have to go through so much.  I never question the Lord, but sometimes I put a lot of effort into wondering WHY? and trying to understand why bad things happen to good people.

I'm past that point, I have moved on to acceptance and there is a reason why. Don't get me wrong, there are times I question Him but I always end up smiling because I live yet another day.

Oh an Obama, He built that...not you.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 04:57:58 AM »
I'm glad you are able to keep a positive attitude BEG.

You have so much to deal with and sometimes just seeing doctors can feel like a full time job with lots of overtime.

A couple times I had doctors send my lab work to the wrong lab resulting in a huge bill. I have Blue Cross and if I use Lab Corp the contracted price is about $18 for what Quest would charge me $80 for...one bill I was forced to pay due to this was over $300.  :hammer:

« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 05:01:47 AM by RobJohnson »

Offline Undies

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 08:02:53 AM »
I'm glad you are able to keep a positive attitude BEG.

You have so much to deal with and sometimes just seeing doctors can feel like a full time job with lots of overtime.

A couple times I had doctors send my lab work to the wrong lab resulting in a huge bill. I have Blue Cross and if I use Lab Corp the contracted price is about $18 for what Quest would charge me $80 for...one bill I was forced to pay due to this was over $300.  :hammer:

I just got notice from Aetna that LabCorp is "no longer in the network".  I say "WTH?"

Offline CG6468

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 08:20:17 AM »
Don't look at them.

I'm amazed... for all the medical technology we have, sometimes going to the doctor still feels like butchers and leeches.

I know, but they really do hurt. I had a kidney infection when I was in the CG, and the corpsmen ruined my arms by brutally taking blood every 3 hours.

I ended up going to Balboa Naval Hospital, and somehow (God knows how) I talked my way out of a uroretrogram (a tube up the penis) AFTER I was prepped and on the table with my legs in the stirrups.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline cavegal

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 02:26:30 PM »
I have a love/hate relationship with prednisone but it literally saved my life and I can always run to it when my disease is out of control.
I agree. It helps me out.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2012, 10:02:15 PM »
I just got notice from Aetna that LabCorp is "no longer in the network".  I say "WTH?"

Blood suckers.

Offline Undies

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2012, 10:45:30 PM »