Author Topic: split fingernails  (Read 2568 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
split fingernails
« on: April 26, 2012, 02:35:31 PM »
This probably isn't merely an issue of aesthetics, as I recall reading--way back when I was a young lad--that sometimes split fingernails are indicative of a problem.  But I dunno what I read.

I don't know the technical terms, but divide the fingernail into two parts, the lower 90% of which is pink and the upper 10% of which is white, the part one usually pares off if a fingernail gets too long.

For about ten years, the thumbnail on the left hand has constantly split as it approaches the top of the pink, not quite ready to go into the white.

Which means when one clips, or bites off (rarely) the too-long white part, one has two pieces, not one.

This has been going on for ten years.

Recently the fingernail on the little finger of the right hand has been doing the same thing; about, maybe, the past two months.

There is nothing wrong, at least superficially or aesthetically, with the fingers or the fingernails.

All the other fingernails are fine, boringly average, or the way they're supposed to be.

And these two fingernails in particular are not exposed to physical abuse of any sort (tools, whatnot).

I know split fingernails are generally considered merely a cosmetic issue, but there was that article (the Reader's Digest, I think, about when I was 12-14 years old) that pointed out it was indicative of something else.  But damn, I can't remember what the "something else" was.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
apres moi, le deluge

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Re: split fingernails
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 02:54:09 PM »
I like to google stuff...right now I'm trying to track down the original blog post that contained foia zip file.

Climategate 1.0
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu