Author Topic: Shoulder/upper arm pain  (Read 4771 times)

Offline dixierose

Shoulder/upper arm pain
« on: April 07, 2012, 06:00:06 PM »
Okay...I've been having horrible pain in my upper arm when I lift my arms up or move them a certain way. It started about three weeks ago in my right arm...now BOTH arms are doing it. I can lift my arms straight up over my head just fine; but holding them straight out kills me. Anybody else experience this? Any ideas of what could be causing it? It doesn't really feel like it's in the shoulder joint itself..it kinda feels like muscle pain. I do have back problems (degenerating disc disease..already had one disc removed in my lower back)...could it be a pinched nerve in my neck area or would that hurt all the time?

I'd appreciate any ideas of what could be causing it or what I could do to help ease the pain. I've already tried muscle cream and patches to no avail...
When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Re: Shoulder/upper arm pain
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 11:02:59 PM »
This is really strange because it is in both arms. Where exactly does it hurt?

Offline dixierose

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 06:39:54 AM »
This is really strange because it is in both arms. Where exactly does it hurt?

that's what's weird about it...I can't pinpoint exactly where the pain is. I try to rub or press the area I think is hurting; but I don't get any kind of pain when I rub it. It feels like it's under the muscle on the very top of my arm. I don't feel any popping in my shoulder that would indicate that it's my rotator cup going bad. I guess I'm gonna have to come off the money and see a doctor...it's hindering me at work now (I'm a waitress..waiting tables is okay; but cleaning and wiping down stuff takes my breath).
When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 10:32:13 AM »
that's what's weird about it...I can't pinpoint exactly where the pain is. I try to rub or press the area I think is hurting; but I don't get any kind of pain when I rub it. It feels like it's under the muscle on the very top of my arm. I don't feel any popping in my shoulder that would indicate that it's my rotator cup going bad. I guess I'm gonna have to come off the money and see a doctor...it's hindering me at work now (I'm a waitress..waiting tables is okay; but cleaning and wiping down stuff takes my breath).

Could you have fibromyalgia?

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 12:01:23 PM »
I'd wager a bet that you have some cervical spine (neck) problems. Inga, bless her heart, brought me some stuff for my pinched nerve that really seems to work pretty well. It's called... "Novum APR- Advanced Pain Relief". It's a spray and it has helped alleviate the severe pain I'm having in my left arm. (Not to worry, these are NOT heart attack pains as I can grab the back of my neck and shove and the pain goes away to some extent.) I definitely have a vertebra out of alignment. I'm betting that this will require surgery.  :bawl:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline dixierose

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 06:47:18 AM »
Could you have fibromyalgia?

That crossed my mind; but I thought that there were painful pressure points with fibro. It really doesn't hurt to the touch. I'm thinking it may just be that I've had a desk job for over 15 years and my arms aren't used to all the wiping and cleaning I do now. Maybe it'll clear up when I get used to it. I'm also leaning toward a pinched nerve. With all the back problems I've had, that wouldn't surprise me.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 08:04:05 AM »
I'd wager a bet that you have some cervical spine (neck) problems. Inga, bless her heart, brought me some stuff for my pinched nerve that really seems to work pretty well. It's called... "Novum APR- Advanced Pain Relief". It's a spray and it has helped alleviate the severe pain I'm having in my left arm. (Not to worry, these are NOT heart attack pains as I can grab the back of my neck and shove and the pain goes away to some extent.) I definitely have a vertebra out of alignment. I'm betting that this will require surgery.  :bawl:

I vote with Thor.  See a Physiatrist:

http://www.spineuniverse.com/treatments/what-physiatrist

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline dixierose

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 06:04:54 AM »
Thanks for your suggestions, y'all. I am now pretty confident that it's a spinal/neck problem. Pain started shooting down my arm this morning, and it felt like the same kind of pain I had shooting down my leg when I had L4 go bad on me.

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 06:25:55 PM »
I know that this is probably a little late but this is my take...

While I agree that this could be an old neck/spinal injury, you might also consider bursitis.

Also, Aleve (naproxin sodium) is a wonder drug on some non specific pain like this.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu

Offline dixierose

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 07:06:19 AM »
I know that this is probably a little late but this is my take...

While I agree that this could be an old neck/spinal injury, you might also consider bursitis.

Also, Aleve (naproxin sodium) is a wonder drug on some non specific pain like this.

I have bursitis in my hip that flares up sometimes. Unfortunately, I cannot take Aleve (naproxin)...it tears my stomach up. I usually have to get a cortisone (sp?) shot in my hip in order for it to go away...I imagine one in my shoulder would hurt like hell. It has gotten a little better over the last couple of days, though. I appreciate your input.

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 07:15:40 AM »
For what its worth...

While I take Aleve my grandpa would, while standing, bend over a bit and then with his arms hanging move them around in in circles.

I guess it was supposed to break up the junk in his shoulders, he said it takes a little time but he swears by it.

Edit: just for giggles I just tried the swirling the arms in circles...I got dizzy and had to sit down.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 07:24:54 AM by EagleKeeper »
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu