Author Topic: MRA  (Read 3637 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
MRA
« on: March 12, 2012, 05:54:25 PM »
I finally had an MRA today.  The whole time I lived in CA my doctor couldn't get it done because we couldnt find out what kind of stints I have.  My neurologist no longer has that information as they were put in back in 1997.  Apparently radiologists in Texas can do it though.  I have had many MRI/MRA's since my stints but they didnt care in CA, they had to have the make and model.  I would have to be in an emergency situation for them to do it.  

Anyway, I had it done and I feel better knowing that it was done.  The radiologist can compare previous films/reports and see if anything has changed.  The difference between an MRI (Magnetic resonance imaging) and a MRA (Magnetic Resonance Angiogram) is that a MRA is a type of MRI, but it is a specific MRI that focuses on looking at the blood vessels vs just tissue and organs. They use dye through an IV that feels hot as it goes through your body.

I have to go back Friday for them to do a different MRA of my aorta.  They couldn't do it at the same time because they have to let all of the dye get out of my system first.  I forgot how screwed up my arteries are. The techs were in awe looking at them. Neither had ever seen anyone with TA before. The guy tech said the colaterals that my body built on the left side Of my neck (my left carotid is 100% occluded) appear very delicate. Which I guess means small.

Anyway, I hope I hear what they think before my doctor appointment in April.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Re: MRA
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 08:46:20 PM »
Having this MRA today and the fact that someone who was recently diagnosed with Takayasu's Arteritis (I belong to a FB group) died Saturday makes me realize my mortality. The woman who died was 38 and had two kids (13 & 8).  We have the same arteries involved (subclavian, carotid and vertibral).  It kinda smacked me in the face this afternoon. I tend to forget I have it and think I'm "normal" but I'm not.  I'm amazed that I'm still alive.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 08:55:32 PM by BEG »

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 09:21:45 PM »
BEG,

I've never met you and we're not friends, although I think we would be if our families lived near each other. All I know of you is what I see here and on fb, so take this with whatever grain of salt you wish.

Nobody has any idea when their time is up. I hope you have lots and lots of years left. All we can do is go as far and as fast as we can. You have an amazing family you're righly and tremendously proud of, lots of friends who obviously think the world of you, and tons more "imaginary friends" here on CC! N  O-)

No matter what you have ahead of you, I'm sure you can be confident of plenty of support from those real-life people you have in your life, as well as the internet ones--regardless of your fondness for Cool-Wip! I'm not great with these kind of inspirational-type posts, but I hope you get what I'm trying to say here.

Hoping and praying that your MRA shows nothing but boring, boring stuff.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 10:26:15 PM »
I'm here for ya hon! I think once you get the test results you'll feel better.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 11:02:11 PM »
BEG,

I've never met you and we're not friends, although I think we would be if our families lived near each other. All I know of you is what I see here and on fb, so take this with whatever grain of salt you wish.

Nobody has any idea when their time is up. I hope you have lots and lots of years left. All we can do is go as far and as fast as we can. You have an amazing family you're righly and tremendously proud of, lots of friends who obviously think the world of you, and tons more "imaginary friends" here on CC! N  O-)

No matter what you have ahead of you, I'm sure you can be confident of plenty of support from those real-life people you have in your life, as well as the internet ones--regardless of your fondness for Cool-Wip! I'm not great with these kind of inspirational-type posts, but I hope you get what I'm trying to say here.

Hoping and praying that your MRA shows nothing but boring, boring stuff.

Yes we are. :)

Thank you!  :-*

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 11:03:16 PM »
I'm here for ya hon! I think once you get the test results you'll feel better.

I know you are Dixie. I'm here for you too. :)

Offline Splashdown

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 04:24:17 AM »
Let nothing trouble you,
All things are passing;
God never changes.
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 02:49:50 PM »
Having this MRA today and the fact that someone who was recently diagnosed with Takayasu's Arteritis (I belong to a FB group) died Saturday makes me realize my mortality. The woman who died was 38 and had two kids (13 & 8).  We have the same arteries involved (subclavian, carotid and vertibral).  It kinda smacked me in the face this afternoon. I tend to forget I have it and think I'm "normal" but I'm not.  I'm amazed that I'm still alive.

Don't you dare give up on yourself. Who the hell am I gonna harass? (other than Gena)    :-)
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 04:26:05 PM »
I had my 2nd MRA today, this time of my aortic arch. I know I have had one of my aorta before but I have never actually felt the magnetic force before but today I could. I could feel it kind of moving my heart and other "innerds".  It was really strange.  I also felt a warm sensation when the tech was actually taking the images. It didn't matter if I had contrast to not.

I'm so glad this is over. I've known I needed to have it done for well over two years.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 05:48:34 PM »
When do you get results?

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 07:52:12 PM »
When do you get results?

My rheumatologist here (I have two, I still see my rheumatologist in Dallas) called me today and said he got my results for my first one that I had Monday. He wants to see the results from my previous MRA's before he discusses the results which I understand. They can only see how screwed up my arteries are, they can't tell if anything has changed until they compare prior films.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 10:15:11 AM »
Ah gotcha. Well I'm glad you had another MRA done for comparison so they can review.

Offline Splashdown

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 10:19:14 AM »
Good luck. Prayers out for a "no big deal" visit!
Let nothing trouble you,
All things are passing;
God never changes.
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

Offline Zeus

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 10:54:53 AM »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdgw_dgeI8g[/youtube]

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.