Author Topic: One and done  (Read 3370 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
One and done
« on: November 14, 2010, 04:58:05 PM »
Doug Schoen and Pat Caddell write an article that needs to be written.  And it's in the Washington Post, even!

Opinion | One and done: To be a great president, Obama should not seek reelection in 2012

By Douglas E. Schoen and Patrick H. Caddell
Sunday, November 14, 2010

President Obama must decide now how he wants to govern in the two years leading up to the 2012 presidential election.

In recent days, he has offered differing visions of how he might approach the country's problems. At one point, he spoke of the need for "mid-course corrections." At another, he expressed a desire to take ideas from both sides of the aisle. And before this month's midterm elections, he said he believed that the next two years would involve "hand-to-hand combat" with Republicans, whom he also referred to as "enemies."

It is clear that the president is still trying to reach a resolution in his own mind as to what he should do and how he should do it.

This is a critical moment for the country. From the faltering economy to the burdensome deficit to our foreign policy struggles, America is suffering a widespread sense of crisis and anxiety about the future. Under these circumstances, Obama has the opportunity to seize the high ground and the imagination of the nation once again, and to galvanize the public for the hard decisions that must be made. The only way he can do so, though, is by putting national interests ahead of personal or political ones.

To that end, we believe Obama should announce immediately that he will not be a candidate for reelection in 2012.

DUmor heads should be exploding over this! :yahoo: :lol: :fuelfire:

The rest is here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/12/AR2010111202846.html
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Re: One and done
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 05:14:48 PM »
schoen and caddell are self described "moderates", and have been warning against the extremism of ReBamaLosi since very soon after the obamagastic inaugural address.

and pat caddell's rug is looking much better these days.  and if it isn't a rug, he needs to plow it all under and buy a rug.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 10:13:53 AM »
Et tu, Brute?

:rotf:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 10:21:39 AM »
Caddell and Schoen said HCR would be a disaster as is and not to pass it.

Trust me, Caddell and Schoen have less standing in the circles of democratic party power than Glenn Beck.
I hope we shall... crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson to George Logan, 1816.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 10:52:24 AM »
Caddell and Schoen said HCR would be a disaster as is and not to pass it.

Events may prove them right, of course.  Not that objective judgment matters nearly as much as loyalty in either Party's inner circles, of course.

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 11:01:09 AM »
Events may prove them right, of course.  Not that objective judgment matters nearly as much as loyalty in either Party's inner circles, of course.

I'm still persona non-grata for saying similar things as Caddell and Schoen.  Which is fine by me, I view the party as a corrupt institution that can't be saved and needs to fail.  I view the GOP with about equal disdain. 

Seeing that however, I told my Party in September of 2009 they were heading for a disaster and they would have a GOP house if they kept up their nonsense, you'd think my phone would be ringing off the hook for advice.

Oh and I dissasembled the HCR bill and said cost would increase and coverage would deteriorate under it and the CBO budget numbers were accounting gimmicks that would blow up in their face in the face of both those factors.

There are actually people out there that think me saying that, not the bill, made that happen.
I hope we shall... crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson to George Logan, 1816.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 11:39:13 AM »
To even call what the CBO did "Gimmicks" is an understatement akin to saying Saddam or Hitler had some unfortunate ideas.  When you are tasked to cost something over ten years, it is completely out of any bounds of propriety or logic to handle years 11 and onward as if they would be superseded due to alien invasion, planetary catastrophe, or arrival of the Rapture.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 11:43:30 AM »
snip
Oh and I dissasembled the HCR bill and said cost would increase and coverage would deteriorate under it and the CBO budget numbers were accounting gimmicks that would blow up in their face in the face of both those factors.

There are actually people out there that think me saying that, not the bill, made that happen.

I think I have met a few of those people. :mental:

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 11:48:29 AM »
To even call what the CBO did "Gimmicks" is an understatement akin to saying Saddam or Hitler had some unfortunate ideas.  When you are tasked to cost something over ten years, it is completely out of any bounds of propriety or logic to handle years 11 and onward as if they would be superseded due to alien invasion, planetary catastrophe, or arrival of the Rapture.

Yeah, the accounting gimmicks I talk about is you ignore the fact that Health Insurers will start charging higher premiums and passing them onto consumers and that by the time that the mandates come into effect as the cost of health insurance will have doubled.

The projecting the world in 10 years and ignoring year 11, not as much of an issue as the idiotic way they thought the world would look like in 2014

They were also projecting economic conditions that have no chance of hell of existing in 2014 and as such the government subsidies are going to be ridiculous to enable people to afford the mandated insurance.

This is of course assuming the entire thing isn't scrapped before 2014 via a court ruling or the legislature.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 10:03:27 PM »

I think you give yourself far too much credit.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 10:07:33 PM »
I think you give yourself far too much credit.

I wrote an op-ed on one of the local blogs, I have had democratic party friends blame me and people like me for misconstruing "the facts" about HCR.

I read the bill, everything I said would happen, has happened thus far.

I also told them that employers would cite the bill when they passed on increased cost and they just made every employer in the country a GOP advertisement....that happened as well.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 11:21:49 AM »
I wrote an op-ed on one of the local blogs, I have had democratic party friends blame me and people like me for misconstruing "the facts" about HCR.

I also told them that employers would cite the bill when they passed on increased cost and they just made every employer in the country a GOP advertisement....that happened as well.

Jake, I know you like to think of yourself as some kind of wise man who is so overwhelmingly omniscient that everyone should bow to your wisdom and opinion without having to produce one scintilla of evidence to back up your words.  I know that you also like to present yourself as some sort of both-parties-suck independent that, somehow or another, still manages to keep his far left credentials.

Truth is, you are neither.

Honestly, anyone who is somewhat conscious and sentient knew what was in that bill and knew what was coming; it was no mystery.  If your audience blamed you as the messenger, well, I would say that you might want to consider finding a different audience.  Preferably an audience that does not need bureaucratic assistance wiping their asses or government instructions on how to breathe and walk at the same time.

Liberals are stupid and you are no prophet.  To suggest otherwise is to give yourself far too much credit.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 11:27:01 AM »

There is a long line of far smarter...more important people than yourself who sounded the alarm about Obamacare.  Writing a blog entry at Old Elm Tree isn't doing very much.

So it looks like you...and Rush...and Sarah Palin...and Sean Hannity...and Glenn Beck...the leadership of the GOP and roughly 70% of America have something in common.

And this makes you different from the thousands of others that said the same thing how exactly?
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn