Author Topic: Migraines  (Read 14221 times)

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
Re: Migraines
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2010, 09:38:31 AM »
If  caught just as the aura starts, Advil seems to work best for me. 4 of them is 800mg of (Motrin)ibuprofen, and I have found that works for a lot of things.

I went from morphine to 800mg of Motrin, every 4 hours, the day after my hysterectomy, and it was enough...but I also I felt much better the day after surgery than I had for a couple of years and especially the prior 8 months...so it might not be the best example of ibuprofen pain management. :uhsure:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2010, 07:18:28 PM »
If  caught just as the aura starts, Advil seems to work best for me. 4 of them is 800mg of (Motrin)ibuprofen, and I have found that works for a lot of things.

I went from morphine to 800mg of Motrin, every 4 hours, the day after my hysterectomy, and it was enough...but I also I felt much better the day after surgery than I had for a couple of years and especially the prior 8 months...so it might not be the best example of ibuprofen pain management. :uhsure:

I'm not sure if I get an aura unless bright flashes of light count.  Mine begin with a slight headache and light sensitivity and explode from there.

Funny you mention morphine vs. ibuprophen.  After I have surgery I have to remind the doctors that morphine actually gives me a horrific headache.  One would think it would help.  I have to be given dilaudid post surgery and it's been given to me twice by injection for the worst of the migraines.

It's so weird that I didn't realize I was having migraines when they began.  It wasn't even on my list of reasons why my head was exploding.  Oh, I immediately jumped to brain tumor because of my history and was shocked when after the scans and testing the diagnosis came back. 

I need to do more research as to why they would suddenly begin at this late stage of life.    It's similar to my severe hay fever from adolescence just disappearing when I hit 30.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2010, 08:11:18 PM »
I'm not sure if I get an aura unless bright flashes of light count.  Mine begin with a slight headache and light sensitivity and explode from there.

Funny you mention morphine vs. ibuprophen.  After I have surgery I have to remind the doctors that morphine actually gives me a horrific headache.  One would think it would help.  I have to be given dilaudid post surgery and it's been given to me twice by injection for the worst of the migraines.

It's so weird that I didn't realize I was having migraines when they began.  It wasn't even on my list of reasons why my head was exploding.  Oh, I immediately jumped to brain tumor because of my history and was shocked when after the scans and testing the diagnosis came back. 

I need to do more research as to why they would suddenly begin at this late stage of life.    It's similar to my severe hay fever from adolescence just disappearing when I hit 30.

Auras are different than flashes...but both are symptomatic of migraines. Still require a dark room.

You know how a street light is in the rain or fog.....kind of like a halo around the light? That's what I get. I don't get a halo around a specific object...it's like the halo is in my eye and I'm looking through the halo which sort of tunnel's my vision and it glows all around the edges. That's about the best way I can describe it. My eyes get very bloodshot.

I was almost 29 when I had them after my son was born. I was 35 when I had them for 8 months. If they are hormonal based, some change in your body, will trigger them or stop them.

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2010, 11:32:03 PM »

Auras are different than flashes...but both are symptomatic of migraines. Still require a dark room.

You know how a street light is in the rain or fog.....kind of like a halo around the light? That's what I get. I don't get a halo around a specific object...it's like the halo is in my eye and I'm looking through the halo which sort of tunnel's my vision and it glows all around the edges. That's about the best way I can describe it. My eyes get very bloodshot.

I was almost 29 when I had them after my son was born. I was 35 when I had them for 8 months. If they are hormonal based, some change in your body, will trigger them or stop them.

After i get a blind spot, that is how my auras start. That is a great description. Mine eventually look kind of like prisms and start off small and and slow. Grow bigger, faster and more jagged then move from the center of my vision to the side.  Last time I had it when I closed my eyes it looked it fireworks going off.  It actually scared the crap out of me. 

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2010, 11:41:07 PM »

Do you get the flashing of light when you aren't having a migraine?  If so it could be a sign of an issue with your retina (retinal detachment).

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2010, 04:37:52 AM »
Do you get the flashing of light when you aren't having a migraine?  If so it could be a sign of an issue with your retina (retinal detachment).

No, but I did once and it scared me straight to the ophthalmologist.  She said it wasn't retinal detachment, but a torn something or other on the surface of the eye along with a huge floater.  It finally healed itself, but the floater stayed behind to drive me crazy.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2010, 08:53:06 AM »
A woman suffering a chronic migraine headache went for a lie down only to wake talking in a – FRENCH ACCENT.

Kay Russell, 49, spoke with a well-clipped accent until the acute migraine struck and she woke to find her speech was ”strange and slurred’ before it turned into a Gallic drawl.

Former saleswoman Kay went to hospital where she saw a neurologist and underwent an MRI scan who discovered the migraine had inflicted a mild form of brain damage.

Doctors diagnosed Kay with Foreign Accent Syndrome (FAS) – an extremely rare condition which damages part of the brain controlling speech and the way words are formed....
Quelle horreur!

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2010, 08:59:10 AM »
So that is what happened to Madonna, only she woke up with a British accent.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2010, 08:26:32 PM »
Quelle horreur!

If that happens to me, I want an Australian accent.

Good day, mate.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2010, 09:00:45 AM »
If that happens to me, I want an Australian accent.

Good day, mate.

How odd but I also wonder why and how accents effect a persons personality.

All the years I spent in the south I began to mimic the accents of those around me.  I developed such a southern accent that when I moved back north it took 3 or so years before I began to talk Yankee again.

When I head south now for a weeks festival camping out in North Carolina, it takes me just 6 hours to revert to the southern drawl.

I don't notice it until Hubby asks why I am speaking so different. Then I begin to realise that I am in fact almost a different person,  almost like having a duel personality.  Spooks him out.

I do have the sensations some of you have mentioned for years.
Closing my eyes at night there are times in the pitch black of the bedroom I will see behind closed eyes bright sparks or a gray rectangle moving about in a solid black ground.

Petite Mal's are some thing different that we all have from time to time.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2010, 05:05:30 PM »
How odd but I also wonder why and how accents effect a persons personality.

All the years I spent in the south I began to mimic the accents of those around me.  I developed such a southern accent that when I moved back north it took 3 or so years before I began to talk Yankee again.

When I head south now for a weeks festival camping out in North Carolina, it takes me just 6 hours to revert to the southern drawl.

I don't notice it until Hubby asks why I am speaking so different. Then I begin to realise that I am in fact almost a different person,  almost like having a duel personality.  Spooks him out.

I do have the sensations some of you have mentioned for years.
Closing my eyes at night there are times in the pitch black of the bedroom I will see behind closed eyes bright sparks or a gray rectangle moving about in a solid black ground.

Petite Mal's are some thing different that we all have from time to time.

:wtf2:

:offtopic:
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2010, 07:02:39 PM »
Not to change the subject but has anyone had rebound headaches?  I ask this because I think that is what is wrong with me. My doctor is referring me to a neurologist that specializes in headaches but it will take awhile to get in. I have a headache every waking minute of every day. Sometimes it's worse than others. Most of the time I can ignore it a do whatever I need to do but I'm sick of having this headache. The thing with rebound headaches is you have to stop taking what ever it is you are taking (for me it is ibuprofen or excedrine migraine) and suffer through the headaches for a couple months. Part of me hopes that is what it is and the other part of me wants it to be something I can just get a prescription for and make it finally go away. 

• Oh snap!
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2010, 07:48:49 PM »
Not to change the subject but has anyone had rebound headaches?  I ask this because I think that is what is wrong with me. My doctor is referring me to a neurologist that specializes in headaches but it will take awhile to get in. I have a headache every waking minute of every day. Sometimes it's worse than others. Most of the time I can ignore it a do whatever I need to do but I'm sick of having this headache. The thing with rebound headaches is you have to stop taking what ever it is you are taking (for me it is ibuprofen or excedrine migraine) and suffer through the headaches for a couple months. Part of me hopes that is what it is and the other part of me wants it to be something I can just get a prescription for and make it finally go away. 

Oh yeah, definitely.

I had to stop taking Excedrin migraine for about half a year.  I was using some sort of Tylenol during that time.  It was weak and didn't work worth a damn. 

The neurologist will more than likely prescribe you something stronger that actually works within 15-30 minutes.  That's what I have currently.  The last migraine I had was on Monday.  It's now Saturday.  This is a new weekly record of not having a cluster of migraines all week long.

Good luck at the neurologist! 

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2010, 12:06:28 AM »
Oh yeah, definitely.

I had to stop taking Excedrin migraine for about half a year.  I was using some sort of Tylenol during that time.  It was weak and didn't work worth a damn. 

The neurologist will more than likely prescribe you something stronger that actually works within 15-30 minutes.  That's what I have currently.  The last migraine I had was on Monday.  It's now Saturday.  This is a new weekly record of not having a cluster of migraines all week long.

Good luck at the neurologist! 

Where are your migraines?  I just basically stopped have migraines except for a couple times a year but get auras several times a week. These headaches are at the top of my head, feel like my brain is bigger than my skull, sometimes it feels like it is behind my eye/eyes, forehead and/or back of the head. My migraines were so bad that I threw up and couldn't have any light or sound. I would have to rock back and forth. These headaches are totally different but I think they are connected. I read about transformed migraines and rebound headaches, I think I'm zeroing in on mine. Also, my head hurts worse when I lay down.

• Oh snap!
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2010, 01:00:36 PM »
My migraines typically start above my left eyebrow, but move above my right eyebrow after an hour or two.  After that, my whole head feels like it's pounding.  I can't walk around because it makes the pain that much worse.  I've never thrown up from the migraines, but they have made me nauseous and light-headed.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2010, 11:43:44 AM »
BEG, too bad that you're not still in Dallas area. If you were, I'd recommend my nuerologist to you. SHE is REALLY good!!
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2010, 01:07:28 PM »
BEG, too bad that you're not still in Dallas area. If you were, I'd recommend my nuerologist to you. SHE is REALLY good!!

Thor, when I lived in dallas I had a neurologist that specialized in headaches. His name is Dr. Steven Herzog.  I ended up having a crush on him because he went out of his way to help me numerous times.  I could also call him up and get in to see him within a day if I lived there. Another reason I'm hate moving to CA.