Author Topic: FRED PHELPS (D) = 5 million dollar Lein put on Fred Phelp's Church and LawOffice  (Read 2340 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
walldude  (1000+ posts)      Sat Apr-05-08 04:13 PM
Original message http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3111203
5 million dollar Lein put on Fred Phelp's Church and LawOffice, 
 Advertisements [?]Fred Phelps gets nailed to the wall!!!!!

A federal judge in Maryland on Thursday ordered liens on the Westboro Baptist Church building and the Phelps-Chartered Law office.

If the case presided over by U.S. District Court Judge Richard D. Bennett is upheld by an appeals court, the church, at 3701 S.W. 12th, and the office building, at 1414 S.W. Topeka Blvd., could be obtained by the court and sold, with the proceeds being applied toward $5 million in damages Bennett imposed on church members for picketing a military funeral.

The $5 million penalty is the result of a lawsuit filed against three of the church’s principals by Albert Snyder, the father of Marine Lance Cpl. Matthew A. Snyder, whose funeral was picketed by church members

Apparently God's not on Fred's side!! Woo Hoo!

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/04/05/fed-judge-orders-liens-on-fred-phelps-church-law-office/ 

uh...they know he's a dem, right?

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
No, they just know that he's a "fundy who hates fags" so he must be like the rest of the Christians.

I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Cleo

• Probationary (Probie)
I knew the family Phelps would appeal this.  The ruling should be upheld...it's fair and just.  And it's what the Snyder family deserves.
Faith is the force of life ~ Tolstoy

Offline guest

uh...they know he's a dem, right?

You know how DUmmies are, they always pick and choose what they want to hear/read.   :whatever:  Which means they will ignore the fact he supported Al Gore for President.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 09:29:13 PM by ACrazyConservative »

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
You know how DUmmies are, they always pick and choose what they want to hear/read.   :whatever:  Which means they will ignore the fact he supported Al Gore for President.

An Inconvient Truth about Al Gore.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
I knew the family Phelps would appeal this.  The ruling should be upheld...it's fair and just.  And it's what the Snyder family deserves.

The punishment does not fit the crime, the award of $5 million dollars is way out of line and so is the possible confiscation of all of his property.

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline Cleo

• Probationary (Probie)

The punishment does not fit the crime, the award of $5 million dollars is way out of line and so is the possible confiscation of all of his property.

Considering the Phelps family's law firm they are not ignorant of the law...they use the law to skirt the law.

Is 5mil excessive?...maybe if this was their first brush with the law...but it's not.  The appellate judge may rule it to be excessive.  If he doesn't and the Phelps' can't raise the 5mil in cash then their property may be seized to make up the difference.  Not much difference in what the IRS can and will do for back taxes owed.

Here's the interview with Albert Snyder...the father of Marine Lance Cpl. Matthew A. Snyder and Shirley Phelps regarding the suit.  The interviewer gives her hell!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3PyoUPcobA
Faith is the force of life ~ Tolstoy

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
You know how DUmmies are, they always pick and choose what they want to hear/read.   :whatever:  Which means they will ignore the fact he supported Al Gore for President.

Fred Phelps was not the crazy asshole he is now when he was a Democrat and a supporter of Al Gore. Al Gore would not want to have anything to do with the Phelps of today.

Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator

Fred Phelps was not the crazy asshole he is now when he was a Democrat and a supporter of Al Gore. Al Gore would not want to have anything to do with the Phelps of today.

Spoken like a true apologist. Perhaps you're not familiar with the Phelps family and their long history? You should do your homework before spouting off.

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
No, they just know that he's a "fundy who hates fags" so he must be like the rest of the Christians.

Fred Phelps is different from most mainstream Christians in that the tactics he uses to espouse his beliefs are confrontational and extreme, but his beliefs are more or less the same as those of most mainstream Christians. For instance, both Fred Phelps and most mainstream Christians believe that homosexuality is immoral and that those who live a homosexual lifestyle must repent.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 10:42:47 AM by The Night Owl »
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
Spoken like a true apologist. Perhaps you're not familiar with the Phelps family and their long history? You should do your homework before spouting off.

Exactly who do you think I'm apologizing for?

I am well aware that Fred Phelps was at one point a Democrat, but I have not seen any evidence that he is a Democrat now or that he was a Democrat when he started his God Hates Fags campaign. I do, however, know of one interview during which Fred Phelps was asked about his politics and responded by saying that he considers Jerry Falwell and the Moral Majority to be too liberal. If Fred Phelps considers Jerry Falwell and the Moral Majority to be too liberal, then I think we must conclude that he considers himself to be on the far right of the political spectrum.

Trust me... The Fred Phelps is a Democrat tree is not a tree you want to be barking up.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 10:43:12 AM by The Night Owl »
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator

Exactly who do you think I'm apologizing for?

I am well aware that Fred Phelps was at one point a Democrat, but I have not seen any evidence that he is a Democrat now or that he was a Democrat when he started his God Hates Fags campaign. I do, however, know of one interview during which Fred Phelps was asked about his politics and responded by saying that he considers Jerry Falwell and the Moral Majority to be too liberal. If Fred Phelps considers Jerry Falwell and the Moral Majority to be too liberal, then I think we must conclude that he considers himself to be on the far right of the political spectrum.

Trust me... The Fred Phelps is a Democrat tree is not a tree you want to be barking up.
BWAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! You missed the point entirely my obtuse friend.