Author Topic: Glenn Beck Losing Bay Area Support  (Read 773 times)

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
Glenn Beck Losing Bay Area Support
« on: August 29, 2009, 02:24:22 PM »
It's getting ominous when Beck starts losing support in the heartland of the San Francisco Gay Area.
Reminds me of the 1980s, when Reagan's poll numbers dropped Stalingrad.

Kadie  (1000+ posts)        Sat Aug-29-09 02:50 PM
Original message
Oakland (CA) group spearheading Glenn Beck boycott 

Fox News commentator Glenn Beck acted stupidly when he went on a TV talk show last month and called President Obama a racist.

snip...
So far, ColorOfChange.org, a political organization founded in Oakland to provide a political voice for African American Hurricane Katrina survivors, has racked up an impressive list of companies that have joined the boycott. Among the many giants on the list are AT&T, Campbell's Soup Co. and Procter & Gamble.

At least three dozen corporations have pulled advertisements from Beck's show since the group began its efforts within days of Beck's infamous statements about Obama made during a guest appearance on another Fox talk show July 28.

snip...
ColorOfChange.org lists more than 600,000 supporters and expects to have as many as 42 companies participating in the boycott by the end of the week, said James Rucker, the group's co-founder and executive director.

Whether Beck's explosive comments, rants and on-air crying jags are done to boost ratings or because he actually believes what he's saying, the end result is that they're fueling the fires of racial division.

"He may not mean the things he says, but he's playing the role of a political operative," Rucker said. "He's misinforming people and what he's doing is really undemocratic, and there are hundreds of thousands of people who aren't black who see this the very same way."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/0...

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6419794

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Glenn Beck Losing Bay Area Support
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 02:25:47 PM »
I'm sure he's devastated......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline ReaganForRushmore

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 02:33:43 PM »
Is this a joke?.....Murdoch and Fox executives are pleased as punch on the actual ratings Beck is generating for the network. The people who are most nervous are
O'Reilly, Hannity. and Greta....all three have prime time shows. Who gets bumped for Beck to fill their time slot? If Beck is generating the numbers he is when the west coast is @ 2pm, what would Beck's numbers be if he was in prime time?

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 02:46:42 PM »
I'm sure he's devastated......

doc

I bet he's lost a whole two seconds of sleep over it.

This is almost a man bites dog story.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 02:56:20 PM »
They have made Glenn Beck a household name.  That's some accomplishment in the reverse of what was intended.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 03:11:32 PM »
The rallying cry was "Butt pluggers unite".
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 04:53:51 PM »
Ya know something?  If FNC really had some guts as the Goliath among the cable news nets, they'd say to the advertisers that are boycotting Beck's show, "Listen--if you want to advertise on FNC, you will go where we tell you to.  We won't put you in low-ratings slots.  But we have advertisers lined up if you don't want to do this.  Some of them are in direct competition to you.  Do you really want to risk that?"

But, in the meantime, Verizon soaks up the spare slots on Beck's show.  Kudos to them for standing firm.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 05:11:06 PM »
At least three dozen corporations have pulled advertisements from Beck's show since the group began its efforts within days of Beck's infamous statements about Obama made during a guest appearance on another Fox talk show July 28.

Um, no. You can't "pull" something you don't have to begin with. Some of those pledging not to advertise weren't sponsoring his show anyway, and at least one, Clorox, has decided not to advertise on any political show.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2009/08/glenn-beck-ignores-ad-boycott.html

I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 05:12:37 PM »
He is cleaning up in the ratings, which means more sponsors.... that is how it works misfits.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 05:21:41 PM »
Ya know something?  If FNC really had some guts as the Goliath among the cable news nets, they'd say to the advertisers that are boycotting Beck's show, "Listen--if you want to advertise on FNC, you will go where we tell you to.  We won't put you in low-ratings slots.  But we have advertisers lined up if you don't want to do this.  Some of them are in direct competition to you.  Do you really want to risk that?"

But, in the meantime, Verizon soaks up the spare slots on Beck's show.  Kudos to them for standing firm.

I just got a new two year contract with Verizon today. I also got the 7" wireless laptop from them. It has the wireless card or Wi-Fi connections.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline jukin

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 11:50:21 AM »
When I heard about Farmer's Insurance pulling my agent got a call.  He forwarded it up the chain. I doubt that the racist organization color of change has much real world affect on Farmers.  However, I do have five policies with them that will go elsewhere on renewal. 

Still awaiting a response from a good real customer.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.