Author Topic: The dopiness of hope  (Read 1371 times)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
The dopiness of hope
« on: February 15, 2008, 10:22:11 AM »
Raasch actually calls it “the audacity of,” but goes on to caution that balloon will need to be pumped up with more than just hot air or the meanspirited Republicans will pop it.  Includes the interesting note that at a recent Obamathon, ”There was even cheering from the roped-off press area, where some media members had crossed an unwritten line and brought family.”  But here’s the hopeslap: 

Beyond hope, nearly nine months of tough politics lay ahead.

“Are Democrats coming surprisingly close to nominating a phenomena rather than a fully vetted candidate?” asked Steve Jarding, a long-time Democratic activist. “The answer to that appears to be a frightening, ‘Yes.’

“Once again, we seem to be falling in love in February only to be headed to a bitter breakup in November when our true love turns out to be much less than expected.”

Jarding, who said he considers Obama “unique and gifted,” has mostly stayed out of presidential politics since a brief dalliance with John Edwards in 2004. But the co-author of Foxes in the Henhouse: How the Republicans Stole the South and the Heartland and What the Democrats Must do To Run ‘em Out, has long warned that Democrats should avoid the mistakes of past elections.

“Historically, while hope may well sell in the spring, it wears thin by fall when it is trumped by issues of security and experience,” Jarding said.

One of his biggest complaints is over the “gushing of the media” toward Obama.

“In my 30 years of doing this,” Jarding said, “I have never seen anything like the swooning the … primarily television media has done over Obama.”

Eventually, that will change.

The theory is, they’ll eventually get embarrassed, and turn on him. Unless Obama proves to have transcended the mortal bonds of mere politics, and the hopeful hagiography only soars ever higher in the thin autumn air, and the cheers from the rope line give way to a heavenly chorus.

http://www.julescrittenden.com/2008/02/15/the-dopiness-of-hope/

It's going to a long and interesting 08.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle