Author Topic: Ohio Steel Mill Re-Opening: Thank You President Donald "Trade War" Trump!  (Read 1808 times)

Offline Ausonius

An Ohio steel mill is beginning the process to re-start a blast furnace closed down during the MAObama years:

http://www.chroniclet.com/Local-News/2018/03/09/Republic-Steel-prepared-to-open-in-Lorain.html

An excerpt with a quote from a DEM city councilwoman:

... the Canton-based company is ready to respond quickly to an increased demand across the country. It said by restarting the Lorain plant, in addition to its open capacity at its Canton melt shop, it would provide more than 1 million tons of new production back into the market.

“This could result in Republic bringing back 1,000+ jobs to its Lorain, OH facility,” the release said. “Republic anticipates that it would take a few months to hire and train employees and restart its idled equipment.”

Republic Steel President and CEO Jaime Vigil said the facility had been maintained since it was idled at the beginning of 2016 in anticipation that it could be restarted, and “it appears that time is finally here.”...

...City Councilwoman Mary Springowski, D-at large, said she was “absolutely delighted.”

“I’m so happy for the people who have been laid off and, hopefully, will be called back,” she said. “I pray that this signals the beginning of an economic turnaround for Lorain.

(My Emphasis above)
"Every democracy eventually becomes a bilge pump expelling the most hilarious and unwitting self-satire."

Offline DLR Pyro

If I'm not mistaken, the steel industry is a big union shop.  Imagine the union votes Trump will pick up from laid off steel workers in Ohio and Pennsylvania who get to go back to work as the result of this.

I heard an interview yesterday morning on the radio with Lindsay Graham who said that the majority of tires in America are made in South Carolina and that the steel that is used in the steel belts of the tires is a special type that has to be imported.  How did we ever allow us to get in the position where we can't provide the steel needed to produce tires?  Trump was right when he recently said if you don't have steel, you don't have a country.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Old n Grumpy

We got in this position by letting other countries with cheap labor and no environmental or government restrictions dump teier products here. Some countries sell at a no profit or loss to gain a share as well.

Another problem was all the leveraged buyouts  in the 80's and 90's that left manufacturers in deep debt and forced them to out source production over seas.

Trump is trying to right decades of piss poor decisions by businesses and government. I really believe he knows how to bring back manufecturing / jobs and rebuild out economy.

Manufacturing , turning raw materials into finished goods is the key to real financial success and stability.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline thundley4

Maybe we should start more drilling and start dumping more oil and natural gas in other countries?

Offline Old n Grumpy

Maybe we should start more drilling and start dumping more oil and natural gas in other countries?

That would be payback time for OPEC, let them tighten their belts and have less $$ to spend on terrorists
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Ausonius

If I'm not mistaken, the steel industry is a big union shop.  Imagine the union votes Trump will pick up from laid off steel workers in Ohio and Pennsylvania who get to go back to work as the result of this.

I heard an interview yesterday morning on the radio with Lindsay Graham who said that the majority of tires in America are made in South Carolina and that the steel that is used in the steel belts of the tires is a special type that has to be imported.  How did we ever allow us to get in the position where we can't provide the steel needed to produce tires?  Trump was right when he recently said if you don't have steel, you don't have a country.

We got in this position by letting other countries with cheap labor and no environmental or government restrictions dump their products here. Some countries sell at a no profit or loss to gain a share as well.

Another problem was all the leveraged buyouts  in the 80's and 90's that left manufacturers in deep debt and forced them to out source production over seas.

Trump is trying to right decades of piss poor decisions by businesses and government. I really believe he knows how to bring back manufecturing / jobs and rebuild out economy.

Manufacturing , turning raw materials into finished goods is the key to real financial success and stability.

Bad decisions by unions, businesses, and governments (local, state, federal) along with various other trends (e.g. automation) have brought us to the brink.

One of the worst was the Clinton Administration's give-aways in the 1990's, letting greedy companies sell our technology to the Chinese:

...Putting aside stubborn differences on human rights and democratic reform, President Bill Clinton and Chinese President Jiang Zemin today announced a pact aimed at halting the spread of nuclear weapons and giving China access to U.S. nuclear power plant technology.

After 2 1/2 hours of talks with the Chinese leader, Clinton told a news conference he intends to certify China as not exporting nuclear technology for weapons development by other countries, a move that also clears the way for U.S. companies to sell nuclear power technology to the Chinese.

"This agreement is a win-win-win," Clinton said. "It serves America's national security, environmental and economic interests ... It is the right thing to do for America."

(My emphasis above)

"NO!!!" I screamed at the time.  (Imagine Charlton Heston's cry at the end of Planet of the Apes.)  Sure, let's put aside that China is at heart a Communist slave-state, no matter how capitalistic it might seem to those slavering to make a quick buck at the expense of "free-trading" America into a corner of mediocrity and blackmail.

See:

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1997/10/29/china.summit/

And then we had missile technology transfers at the same time when the Pentagon had determined that previous Chinese access to our technology "had increased the accuracy of China's ballistic missile arsenal" !!! See the article below:

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/05/11/world/clinton-approves-technology-transfer-to-china.html
"Every democracy eventually becomes a bilge pump expelling the most hilarious and unwitting self-satire."