Author Topic: I have mixed emotions on this one  (Read 908 times)

Offline 5412

I have mixed emotions on this one
« on: December 30, 2010, 05:19:02 PM »
Hi,

While I like this idea when Republicans are in charge, I am not sure I like the unilateral power.

regards,

http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/budget/135451-budget-skirmish-starts-over-ryan-rule

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: I have mixed emotions on this one
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 06:26:03 PM »
Hi,

While I like this idea when Republicans are in charge, I am not sure I like the unilateral power.

regards,

http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/budget/135451-budget-skirmish-starts-over-ryan-rule

Agreed. It plays into the Dem's charges of cronyism and back room politics. Keep it out in the open and defeat spending/hold spending on its own merits.

Otherwise, this is a tacit admission that the House can't control itself from spending money. If that's the case, irrespective of whichever clan clique gang party is in power, we're screwed anyway.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 12:13:44 PM »
Otherwise, this is a tacit admission that the House can't control itself from spending money.

Unfortunately that does seem to be the root of the problem.  When the membership of the governing organization is decided by popular election, and substantially more people voting in those elections stand to benefit from runaway largesse than see themselves as penalized by it, the dynamic becomes essentially irresistable.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 07:00:37 PM »
Well then maybe it's time to "compromise" we won't do that if Reid doesn't try to change the rules in the Senate calling for a majority vote as opposed to 60 votes.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Max

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 07:56:54 PM »
Hi,

regards,

Clue me in then, please.  I understand the dems crying foul over spending ceilings called for by a Republican in charge, but where does that equal  unilateral power they are whining about?

If indeed it does Barry's  rally cry "we won" comes to mind ;)

Offline 5412

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 08:55:38 PM »
Clue me in then, please.  I understand the dems crying foul over spending ceilings called for by a Republican in charge, but where does that equal  unilateral power they are whining about?

If indeed it does Barry's  rally cry "we won" comes to mind ;)

Hi,

My concern is this......and I have been wrong many times before.  The House of Representatives should be responsible for the budget, not one person who unilaterally makes decisions.  We see what happens when Pelosi takes total control and it stinks.

Bill should come to the house floor, have up or down votes, and stand on their own merits.......

Happy New Year,

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 09:05:39 PM »
Hi,

My concern is this......and I have been wrong many times before.  The House of Representatives should be responsible for the budget, not one person who unilaterally makes decisions.  We see what happens when Pelosi takes total control and it stinks.

Bill should come to the house floor, have up or down votes, and stand on their own merits.......

Happy New Year,

OTOH, there are too many RINOs in the house that would not go along with a limit on spending.  IMO, putting the power in the hands of one conservative may be the best way to get spending under control.  At worst, this would only be in effect for two years.

Offline Max

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 09:15:05 PM »
Hi,

Happy New Year,

Happy New Year.

What I am missing is why a ceiling on spending is supposedly only a bad thing for the dems.  Knowing the rules in place indicate both parties have to start behaving responsably knowing the ceiling is in effect. Simply put isn't this just enforcing a budget?

Offline 5412

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 08:25:29 AM »
Happy New Year.

What I am missing is why a ceiling on spending is supposedly only a bad thing for the dems.  Knowing the rules in place indicate both parties have to start behaving responsably knowing the ceiling is in effect. Simply put isn't this just enforcing a budget?

Hi,

I am all for a debt ceiling; particularly one voted on by all the house members.  When our elected members of congress do no longer represent those that hired them, they should be replaced.  When many in congress balk and will not support our idealogoly; particularly when it is also the idealogy of the majority of the American people, the solution is not to consolidate power and stick it up their ass, Obama and Pelosi did that.  The solution is to expose them, and what they stand for, then fire them.  We got some weeded out in 2010 and we must still continue to rid the garden of the rest of the weeds.

regards,