Author Topic: Largest contingent of Florida National Guard callup since WWII  (Read 918 times)

Offline 5412

Largest contingent of Florida National Guard callup since WWII
« on: January 08, 2010, 03:07:37 PM »
Hi Folks,

This morning I went to our local civic center to a send off of our local national guard troops to the middle east.  Apparently there have been several such events throughout the state and they are all going to gather for the largest deployment since WWII.  We happen to know one of the young men and thought it appropriate to attend.

Well the ceremony appeared to start a bit late.  My gut instinct tells me it was because our Florida Senator Nelson arrived late.  The troops had been standing for two hours before it began.  First thing that galled me was the "honored guests" were up on a stage or in folding chairs to each side of the stage.  What a crock of Pelosi that was, the "honored guests" were the young men and women who snapped to attention when the general and other dignitaries walked up to the stage.   The first ten minutes were acknowledging politicians and dignataries who were in attendance....all sitting in the special seats.  Other than those who were military, or former military, it gagged me the number of politicians who used the deployment for another photo opportunity.  Did not take the crowd long before you could see little, if any applause directed when their name was raised and they stood, as opposed to those in fatigues or former military that were announced.

Once they got through with that garbage they had a series of speakers.  The first being Florida Senator Nelson.  When he got announced, he received a small round of applause, with the exception of my very loud "BOOOOOOOOOOOOO" to the point I had several folks turn and look at me, which is fine with me.

In talking with some folks afterward, it seems that I was not quite in the minority regarding my feelings, only the fact I expressed them so vividly.  He got some praise for getting equipment for the Florida guard unit, he even went on and on about their commitment and bravery etc.

Somehow I have a huge problem with a senator who voted against most every funding request put forth in the Bush administration, did everything he could to destroy the war effort for political reasons during the Bush administration, has publically spoken out and done much to destroy the CIA (who's intelligence information might just keep some of those kids standing in front of him alive), and now he supports bringing the folks from Gitmo to the USA.......of course he convienently forgot to mention any of that.

Folks, I really had a hard time holding it together, and one friend of mine afterward mused about how could Nelson have the balls to even show up at an event like we saw today.  It was really all I could do to contain myself from approaching him and telling him what a phony loser he really is.  

Been thinking about it quite a bit since.  I guess I am at the point in life where I no longer respect politicians for their office, just because they are in the house of representatives or senate no longer impresses me.  I am more concerned about their behavior once they get there, like each of us, their respect must be earned by their deeds, not their words.  I recently got an email from the senator I am talking about and it was a total insult to the intelligence of the people of Florida.  If he does not treat us respectfully, make a real attempt to represent us (not special interests) in congress why should anyone treat them with anything but disgust?

After the ceremony they had 1-1/2 hours before they had to board the busses to ship them out.  They fell out, were surrounded by family members and it was a very moving experience knowing full well that some will not return home, and some may come home with parts missing.  We told our friend that trusting the politicians is a fools game, the people who must trust are those standing on your right and your left.  They will have more to do with all returning home safely than any senator in Washington.

God bless those kids and look after them and their families.  Will be very glad in a year and a few days when we can attend their welcome home....

Best regards,
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 03:09:21 PM by 5412 »

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
Re: Largest contingent of Florida National Guard callup since WWII
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 06:01:30 PM »
Hi Folks,

This morning I went to our local civic center to a send off of our local national guard troops to the middle east.  Apparently there have been several such events throughout the state and they are all going to gather for the largest deployment since WWII.  We happen to know one of the young men and thought it appropriate to attend.

Well the ceremony appeared to start a bit late.  My gut instinct tells me it was because our Florida Senator Nelson arrived late.  The troops had been standing for two hours before it began.  First thing that galled me was the "honored guests" were up on a stage or in folding chairs to each side of the stage.  What a crock of Pelosi that was, the "honored guests" were the young men and women who snapped to attention when the general and other dignitaries walked up to the stage.   The first ten minutes were acknowledging politicians and dignataries who were in attendance....all sitting in the special seats.  Other than those who were military, or former military, it gagged me the number of politicians who used the deployment for another photo opportunity.  Did not take the crowd long before you could see little, if any applause directed when their name was raised and they stood, as opposed to those in fatigues or former military that were announced.

Once they got through with that garbage they had a series of speakers.  The first being Florida Senator Nelson.  When he got announced, he received a small round of applause, with the exception of my very loud "BOOOOOOOOOOOOO" to the point I had several folks turn and look at me, which is fine with me.

In talking with some folks afterward, it seems that I was not quite in the minority regarding my feelings, only the fact I expressed them so vividly.  He got some praise for getting equipment for the Florida guard unit, he even went on and on about their commitment and bravery etc.

Somehow I have a huge problem with a senator who voted against most every funding request put forth in the Bush administration, did everything he could to destroy the war effort for political reasons during the Bush administration, has publically spoken out and done much to destroy the CIA (who's intelligence information might just keep some of those kids standing in front of him alive), and now he supports bringing the folks from Gitmo to the USA.......of course he convienently forgot to mention any of that.

Folks, I really had a hard time holding it together, and one friend of mine afterward mused about how could Nelson have the balls to even show up at an event like we saw today.  It was really all I could do to contain myself from approaching him and telling him what a phony loser he really is.  

Been thinking about it quite a bit since.  I guess I am at the point in life where I no longer respect politicians for their office, just because they are in the house of representatives or senate no longer impresses me.  I am more concerned about their behavior once they get there, like each of us, their respect must be earned by their deeds, not their words.  I recently got an email from the senator I am talking about and it was a total insult to the intelligence of the people of Florida.  If he does not treat us respectfully, make a real attempt to represent us (not special interests) in congress why should anyone treat them with anything but disgust?

After the ceremony they had 1-1/2 hours before they had to board the busses to ship them out.  They fell out, were surrounded by family members and it was a very moving experience knowing full well that some will not return home, and some may come home with parts missing.  We told our friend that trusting the politicians is a fools game, the people who must trust are those standing on your right and your left.  They will have more to do with all returning home safely than any senator in Washington.

God bless those kids and look after them and their families.  Will be very glad in a year and a few days when we can attend their welcome home....

Best regards,

Thank you for sharing this 5412
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Offline Javelin

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 08:45:50 PM »

Best regards,

I am with you on this one 100%.  I quit respecting the office some time ago, btw a Marine here as well so maybe there is something from the past influencing this??? I dont know.

For me, the whole idea of respecting the "office" is what helps to set the the whole idea of "aristocratic power" as so to speak if you ask me.

Offline 5412

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 06:12:43 PM »
I am with you on this one 100%.  I quit respecting the office some time ago, btw a Marine here as well so maybe there is something from the past influencing this??? I dont know.

For me, the whole idea of respecting the "office" is what helps to set the the whole idea of "aristocratic power" as so to speak if you ask me.

Hi,

Got a very interesting email from a guy who I went to first grade with.  He said he was proud of me, had I been arrested he would have gladly flown down here from Wisconsin to post my bail.  Hell if I had known that I would have yelled even louder.......

Folks really are totally fed up.

regards,